Retro video games?

The place to discuss everthing retro : OSR, Fantasy Figthing books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Re: Retro video games?

I bought a laptop and am installing an old version of windows so I can play old games! Im going for Age of Empires 2

Post Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:36 am

You could just Dosbox for that if you want Curtis? That way you could use a newer version of Windows.

Or you could install both new & old operating systems, flicking between both as the need requires?

I use Dosbox on my laptop with Windows 7 to play Firepower & Spacewar with my son :D
My Blog: Mr Papafakis
Stuff I'd like to have: Wishlist
Stuff I'd like you to have: Trades

Post Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:23 pm

Well, you can take your heretical new fangled versions of windows and play them as you like ;). Basically, AoEII is the greatest of all link-up strategy games, but if you try to link it between 2 versions of windows...it no likey! 7 can run it, xp can run it, you can even get the game you create to show on both machines,...but it wont let you join. So yeah, retrofitted the (2nd hand) laptop to run XP and jobs a good'un. My main machine is XP and will stay that way until it conks out and I have to replace it.

The laptop is 2.5ghz, 3gig ram, so just about good enough to run slightly less archaic games, like Dawn of War. I will install that later and see if the GPU can handle it ;) The XP drivers probably wont like it!

Post Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:34 pm

complete_warhammer_collection.jpg
SSI complete Warhammer Collection
complete_warhammer_collection.jpg (90.34 KiB) Viewed 693 times

Win98 in a vm?

Post Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:48 pm

ramshackle_curtis wrote:Basically, AoEII is the greatest of all link-up strategy games, but if you try to link it between 2 versions of windows...it no likey! 7 can run it, xp can run it, you can even get the game you create to show on both machines,...but it wont let you join.

I heartily agree that AoEII kicks several types of arse. You might be interested to know, however, that it got a re-release! http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/

There are a lot of great indie games these days with beautiful takes on old-school aesthetics. But I still have a big ole' softspot for SNES (especially Super Metroid).
Like waffle? Check out my blog: http://mdarrow.blogspot.com/

Post Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:02 pm

For Xmas my good lady wife got me one of the "new" mega drives. 90 built in games, all the original sonics etc but the real bonus is that it plays cartridges. So cue post Xmas purchase of powermonger. With a glass of port and the fire on, I have rarely been more content. It hasn't aged well though

Post Tue May 23, 2017 8:21 pm

I just got hold of one of those plug n' play doings off ebay. Streetfighter 2 and ghouls n' ghosts! Im 13 again!. Got a super proud dad moment when my son threw his first dragon punch!
http://wronghammer.blogspot.co.uk/ for all you can read underwhelming wargames related tomfoolery.

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Berkut666 wrote:For Xmas my good lady wife got me one of the "new" mega drives. 90 built in games, all the original sonics etc but the real bonus is that it plays cartridges. So cue post Xmas purchase of powermonger. With a glass of port and the fire on, I have rarely been more content. It hasn't aged well though

I've heard some people say that machine is not very reliable -- what's your experience?
They say foul things of Old Times still lurk
In dark forgotten corners of the world

Post Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:52 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Berkut666 wrote:For Xmas my good lady wife got me one of the "new" mega drives. 90 built in games, all the original sonics etc but the real bonus is that it plays cartridges. So cue post Xmas purchase of powermonger. With a glass of port and the fire on, I have rarely been more content. It hasn't aged well though

I've heard some people say that machine is not very reliable -- what's your experience?

Nah I have had no issues. The inbuilt games all work 100% fine. With cartridges you can occasionally get one that doesn't work well but it happens less than it did with the original Mega Drives! Standard practice - take the cartridge out, blow on the connectors and put it back in. Only slight down side is I don't think the wireless controllers are great but I sorted that by purchasing some that work via cable.

There are some consoles now that take multi formats like Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation etc all in one box of tricks
Previous

Return to Retro Discussions