Roll20 Blood Bowl second edition

DaImp

So I have been fiddling about with this Roll20 thing, trying to work out how to get a game of Blood Bowl 2nd ed working on it. So far it all looks like it is very possible to do and I have some basic player counters worked out. I have all the board pieces so they are easy to scan in but my one problem at the moment is how to make the playing surface / on screen surface bigger. When I "set up a campaign" I get given a 25x25 square area to place the graphics. But a Blood Bowl pitch needs to be 28 squares long, so it doesn't fit into their grid. Is there a way of changing the grid size? Also it appears that any graphics imported into the grid are automatically squashed to fit the grid instead of keeping their original dimensions. How do you stop this from happening? (or do I just have to design everything in multiples of 70x70 pixels?)

And who is keen on playing some 2nd edition BB?

DaImp

worked it out! Found it in the page settings tab. Turning the grid off entirely seems like the best option, although I am going to try build a pitch that fits the grid perfectly then the models will snap into position nicely which is a cool feature.

Here is a screen shot of the board all set up. Just waiting for models and coaches really.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 9,098

DaImp

Possible player counters - in this instance Orc Blitzers. I would need to get images of all the different races from the top down however (not really necessary to get a different image for each position - although this would be the best option - for now one image per race is enough)

Attachments

• counters.jpg
    counters.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 9,097

DaImp

and here are a few pitch variants, a snowy pitch, grassy pitch and a sand pitch. It would be easy enough to make home pitches for all the teams in a league. Here I am thinking a league should consist of the famous teams from 2nd edition - so we can use their endzone graphics as well, these would then also be added for each team as they play.

Attachments

• bbpitch-grass-small.jpg
    bbpitch-grass-small.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 9,095
  • bbpitch-sand-small.jpg
    bbpitch-sand-small.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 9,095
  • bbpitch-snow-small.jpg
    bbpitch-snow-small.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 9,095

phreedh

Nice job, I fiddled around with this too earlier today but couldn't get the damned grid off.

Famous teams boo hiss! We need custom mixed race teams, with crap "star" players! =)

Just give us the dimensions and people can whip up their own banners (or I can do it for them, as per request).

It's been ages since I played 2nd. Could we somehow adapt the turn system from 3rd+ to 2nd? Wasn't there something in Companion about downs and stuff? I need to go downstairs and fetch me books!

DaImp

2nd edition was played until one team scored 3 TDs so there is no turn limit to a game. No reason why we can't add one though.The downs and stuff you are thinking off from the Companion book sounds like the alternate rules that more closely mimic actual American Football rules. I have never played those rules, but I seem to recall them being too clunky for most ppl.

DaImp

The dimensions of the endzone banners would be 2 grid squares by 15 grid squares which works out as 140x1050 pixels

Erny

Sorry not to respond sooner, just caught this thread.

Turning the grid off is a great idea for games that don't use grids but you'd be silly to do this for a game that actually uses a grid.

Go to the same menu you used to turn the grid off, you'll find an entry for map size, how many squares wide by how many tall. add extra squares at the top for your dug outs and any space around your board. If you get it exactly right the map should snap to the grid perfectly. I doubt this is worth the effort though. Just right click the map and set to picture under the advanced menu. Then stretch the map from the corner to maintain dimensions until one square of your board exactly fits under your grid. Simple.

If you would like a hand turning top down photos into tokens let me know.

DaImp

Thanks Erny, I did work out the grid thing and made my graphics fit perfectly so the models snap into position. It actually works a treat now :)

What I am looking for now is top down photos of all the miniatures that can be converted into tokens. If you can help with these that would be brilliant.

Check out the work in progress link here: https://app.roll20.net/join/102705/J4zOKw
You should be able to grab some of the demo players from the dugout and place them on the field - there is also a demo ball icon.

phreedh

DaImp":1kvcvs4b said:
What I am looking for now is top down photos of all the miniatures that can be converted into tokens. If you can help with these that would be brilliant.
You know, for uniformity we should recolour them so we have one team of every possible race in red and one team of every possible race in blue. As you said previously, we only need one orc, one human, one ogre, one minotaur etc. with position being shown by the base ring's colour.

DaImp

Yeah, I definitely think there should be a "Home" and "Away" colour scheme for each race. It won't be a big deal to create them once we have top down imagery of each team. One of my reasons for thinking we use the classic star teams is that they all have their own colour schemes which could be matched. I have the base rings set up so it all about creating those top down images. There are a couple of line drawings of the miniatures from the top down in the rulebook but not nearly enough to work for all the teams unfortunately.

DaImp

The original Blood Bowl PC game had top down sprites that we could use. I have the game but need a way to open the .WAD files to get to the graphics. Or I could always just screen grab each team and clean them up as option 2.

Blood%20Bowl_4.png

Blood%20Bowl_6.png

Erny

If someone wants to send me top down photos of minis I'd be happy to convert them into tokens to use for this with a recolored version for each. No problems tough we may just start with a few teams to begin with. These would obviously be just for your own personal use in games you play or host.

Where do big guys sit on the grid? I think they should snap to occupy four squares if you make them big enough but you may want to try.

This has got me thinking about other classic board games like talisman.

phreedh

Big guys cover four squares.

The beauty of 2nd edition is mixed race teams. Yay elf catcher with chainsaw, yay! Hence my wish to not cover any official teams. It's much more fun to build your own.

Erny":1wtqnqrh said:
If someone wants to send me top down photos of minis I'd be happy to convert them into tokens to use for this with a recolored version for each. No problems tough we may just start with a few teams to begin with. These would obviously be just for your own personal use in games you play or host.

Where do big guys sit on the grid? I think they should snap to occupy four squares if you make them big enough but you may want to try.

This has got me thinking about other classic board games like talisman.

DaImp

I agree there are some crazy rules in the Star Player book that we may as well have a go at :)
I think there are only 8 races (or there abouts) in 2nd edition. Certainly not as many teams as in 3rd edition.

phreedh

DaImp":1gbpud5p said:
I agree there are some crazy rules in the Star Player book that we may as well have a go at :)
I think there are only 8 races (or there abouts) in 2nd edition. Certainly not as many teams as in 3rd edition.
What?!

Human, Orc, Goblin, Snotling, Ogre, Minotaur, Troll, Treeman, Elf, Dark Elf, Skaven, Skeleton, Mummy, Zombie, Werewolf, Norse, Dwarf, Chaos Dwarf, Chaos Human. Those are just off the top of my head. I suppose it all depends on how you define "race". =)

I'm in a very busy period right now, working both with clients and with my own company full time, my family schedule is crammed AND my dad is in the hospital again since yesterday so I'm a bit pressed for time to set up this right now.

DaImp

Well the main rule book has Human, Orc, Dark Elf, Halflings, Dwarfs, Skaven, Elves, Skeletons and Goblins. So thats the 8 (actually 9) teams I was thinking about.

The Star Player book added the Slaan, Norse, Werewolf and Chaos Human teams. So that's a total of 13 then. I am not thinking about the different players that can be added to those teams - like the Treemen, Ogres, Minotaurs, Mummies etc... :)

I forgot Chaos Dwarves... and of course you can make a team of Ogres too... so that's now 15 teams... :lol:

DaImp

I have created Human and Orc tokens from the plastics that came from the box set. So we now have a playable game. If anyone wants to give it a go let me know :)

I see Chris G. has signed up.

Back