D&D ADVENTURE! THE DOMAIN OF THE UNDER-DOG

" Our friend speaks the truth, surely one of your wisdom can see this" Rambulge added, hoping to appeal to the bloated Kobold's vanity.

I told a lie before, Seu's heal ability is now 12, up from 10. Sorry. His HP at the start of the round is 30/55

Seu and the frost knight charged at each other, both screaming their respective battle cries. As Seu closed the distance with long strides, the two ice wolves leapt to the fore, one latching it's jaws onto Seu's off-hand arm and sinking icicle teeth deep into his flesh. He shook the creature off with a tearing of his arm meat, just as the second wolf pounced, but it missed so wildly that it landed heavily on it's face, skidding along the ground muzzle-first and getting caught in a snow-drift, where it whined and struggled pathetically to get out.

Seu's holy blade found it's mark immediately, caving in a portion of the frost knight's heavy plate with a gush of white fog. His follow up blow came down upon the knight's shoulder, cutting through the armour like butter and lodging there. In the distance, the sound of ice breaking over the lake was the only noise to be heard apart from the heavy breathing of Seu and the snarling of wolves. The knight wrenched free and swung his blade awkwardly, missing Seu as he ducked beneath it's frozen arc, but the knight pulled back and lashed out with a lightning quick jab that pierced the armour at Seu's belly and sliced into the flesh beneath, once again burning him with strength-sapping pain. The blade was pulled back and Seu fought back the weakness in his knees as the shock of the blow shuddered through him. Both combatants were wearying, that much was clear, but the knight and his fearsome wolves were showing no sign of backing down...

Combat Round 4/5

Ice Wolf 2 bites Seu, dealing 6 damage!
Ice Wolf 1 attacks Seu - Critical Miss!

Seu attacks Frost Knight with Holy Avenger +5, dealing 8 damage!
Seu attacks Frost Knight with Holy Avenger +5, dealing 11 damage!

Frost Knight attacks Seu with Icefang +2. He misses.
Frost Knight attacks Seu with Icefang +2, dealing 6 damage!

Seu's HP 18/55

And there you go - Seu broke even with HP, gaining 12, losing 12. We had another wolf roll a 1, and one finally rolled high enough to hit Seu! Hurrah!

Papa Toe-Toe had a lot to think about. In fact, the crown on his head seemed to be steaming a little from the effort it was taking the big dog to cogitate, though it may have been a trick of the light.

"So..." he said, after a little while, leaning forward as far as he could to scrutinise the party, "so... you, gnome, are telling me that the Misstress isn't really a demon... and you, cleric, are telling me that you know how to destroy her, and you... ranger... are telling me that if I don't help you help me to help you, then my children and I will be killed by the Yuan-Ti for sport... hummm."

He sat back on his creaking throne, which was heroically maintaining his great bulk under great duress. He opened his mouth, then closed it. Then opened it again. The action was causing his chins to roll like a ship in a heavy swell.
"Here is the thing. The yuan-ti use my children as slaves - they are useful. My children are timid, not overly fond of conflict, and thus, unsuitable for testing anyone's mettle. I find it very hard to believe the snakes would bother to come down here to kill us." Papa thought a little more.

"The way I see it is this: if you are telling the truth, and the snakemother is dead ("my spies have yet to return with confirmation") then there is a slim chance that you may be able to deal the snakemen a serious blow to their leadership by killing the misstress. However, this will not leave them totally without direction. As you say, ranger, there are factions within the yuan-ti, and the two have different goals. My spies have told me as much. Without the misstress and the white snake cleric to hold them back, the yuan-ti will throw all their considerable might at the human city, for there is something there that they seek, but I know not what. Though it will take a toll, I believe that they will defeat the humans and gain their stronghold, and this will be the beginning of the end for this land. With such a fortification at their disposal, they can build their numbers to their heart's content, and no man or kobold will be safe then. If i allow the status-quo to continue, then there is a chance they will stay in the temple and continue their bickering until the end of time. It's possible. If the misstress is a fake, then the white snake cleric is fake too, a charlatan trickster, and if he is discovered, it will mean death for him, as they yuan-ti fear magik of all kinds. He has no incentive to leave, none at all."

Papa Toe-Toe nodded to himself as he finished his little speech, then regarded the party with his beady eyes.

"Of course, if we consider that maybe you are lying to save your skins from being roasted, well..." the fat creature licked his lips, "then following you would be folly. You would be much better served in my belly. The path, therefore, is clear. Children! Bring wood, wood for the fires! Tonight we feast!"

There was an explosion of activity. From his spot behind the giant kobold's fat rolls, Bufo shrugged apologetically to his companions, his metal mankini twitching awkwardly. The party were forced to duck as logs came hurtling down upon them. Papa Toe-Toe sat back and smiled, pleased with himself and his logical deductions. As he nodded at his cleverness, a ragged kobold approached and whispered in his great floppy ear. His eyes widened briefly, before swiping the tiny creature away.

"Wait! Wait! Stop, all of you, stop again, stooop!" Papa bellowed at his furry offspring, who once again scampered away into various nooks and crannies. Papa looked somewhat vexed, but it was clear his brain was once again switching into thinking gear.

"My spies have confirmed what you told me about the snakemother. She indeed lies dead, and her cavern collapsed around her, an act of unspeakable power and might. Now tell me," at this, Papa Toe-Toe's eyes gleamed with unmistakable avarice,"I want to know all about this shining knight that slays with holy power and the strength of one-hundred men..."

Asslessman

For the love of the Lady, this one is going to give me chapped lips, I cannot let this situation go on forever... Oh and wasn't Yngwie in a bad situation last time I checked ? Criminy I just cannot let this go on. The others are probably fine, Bari's probably talking about larva like he uses to while Eggbert still has some incredible spells up his sleeve... Good thing they can count on Rambulge's temper... hum, probably a good thing Robin's with them... As long as they don't have to rely on Bufo they're probably fine, yes, they must be OK...

"Knight of the ice, you have not named yourself to me yet, and yet it seems my salvation requires you falling to my blade... I have put an end to this for my Lady and friends are in dire need of the little help I can grant them. Be a man and let those hounds aside and fight me blade on blade until fate and valor draw a victor."

Wyrmrock castle, his father's and the home of all his family for generation had not been known for the warmth of its land and cold and ice were getting a good third of their years. That cold though... it felt like it meant to freeze his very soul... in the end it truly was his faith that was his best weapon and armour, the only thing keeping him warm. That and those images of the Lady wearing nothing but light silk robes whatever the weather, oh those pure white dresses...

Penddraig

Robin looked towards the bloated Kobold. "Words cannot always convey the true magnitude of something. Your scouts have reported the effect on the Snake Mother and her general. Bufo could tell you tales of their early days together hunting the Abbots Cheese. His power comes from his companions and his faith in them so if we are eaten, his power will diminish. However, at this moment his life hangs by a thread as he is experimented upon by the Yuan-Ti, if he dies because of your inaction now, all hope could be lost..."

I'd like to apologise for the week gap between posts, i've been rather busy trying to learn how to greenstuff and also, dealing with the ridiculous Spring heatwave here which is preventing my son, and therefore, us all, from getting a good night's sleep...

The great fat bulk of Papa Toe-Toe rippled as he sat back on his throne in contemplation. He prodded Bufo, who jumped
and squeaked like a rat caught reading Of Mice and Men in the back of the pantry.
"Little Man" rumbled the kobold king, "You told me this knight paladin was your personal manservant who did all your bidding and polished your sling balls - this does not sound to me like the kind of man who could vanquish the snakemother. Do you wish to... alter your story at all?"

Bufo gulped. Caught up in his own web of cowardly lies, he was sweating in his mankini.

"Well," he squeaked, then, "*ahem* WELL, you see, the thing is... yes, Sir Antheus is a very pious man, given to works of
charity and menial labour, it's part of his vows as a knight you see so he's not really my servant AS SUCH but he does polish my balls and also my knob, my castle has a huge door with a big knob to polish, and also..." Papa Toe-Toe was looking at him with that all-too-familiar air of impatience that seemed to possess all who listened to the halfling's 'explanations', "also, well, in exchange for his noble humility, Sir Antheus is granted cool powers from the Lady such as laser eyes that destroy evil-doers and he can fly... sort of... and other things, like he has a cool flaming sword ('though come to think of it the snakes probably took that') but he is really good at, like, fighting and one time I was being eaten by dogs and he was too busy praying because prayers are REALLY important to him, especially when he sees a lady's, erm, private wares, and..." Bufo thought really hard, "but yeah, he's pretty cool..."

Papa Toe-Toe regarded the halfling impassively. "I am utterly unconvinced by your description." The fat kobold looked to
the rest of the party. "If this man is capable of slaying not only the snakemother, but also her mate, then he is clearly more of a force to be reckoned with than what this halfwit," he flicked Bufo on the head with a massive paw, "...has described. I wonder..." the wheels inside the giant kobold's mind were clearly spinning at great speed, "perhaps I have been too hasty in my reckonings. If the snakes have taken him prisoner then we do not have a great deal of time to form a plan. I have heard reports of what the yuan-ti do to their human prisoners, and it is not pleasant. They have dark and sorcerous means of changing a man, eradicating all will and memory, turning them into a mindless slave willing to sacrifice themselves at their master's whim. Only the inner circle of the white-snake's followers are allowed to possess these slaves; my children take care of the more menial tasks." The fat creature paused for breath.
"You come before me, unarmed, and ready for the cooking fires. I see little that makes me think that you lot are good for anything except dinner, however..." he looked over the group with his beady eyes, and it was plain he was approaching a decision."Let us say, for the sake of argument, that I helped you free your warrior, and you were able to destroy the misstress, thus unbalancing the sway of power her faction holds over the Yuan-Ti... IF you were to achieve these things, and the more militant side of their race takes over and attacks the human city... would you and your holy warrior be able to stop them, defeat them so utterly that they could never reclaim their might? Can you guarantee that my children would be safe to live out their lives in our mountain stronghold, safe from the predations and slavery of the Yuan-Ti? If I am to aid you, I would put the whole of my very vast family in imminent danger, so my terms must be met. I wish for nothing
less than total freedom to possess the Temple of the Lost God and for it to be acknowledged as such from now until the end of time..." Papa Toe-Toe's eyes gleamed, "And I also claim all the contents therein,
particularly the laboratory of the white snake. Will you agree to my terms?"

The frost knight regarded Seu over the frozen ground between them, his eyes dark and inscrutable. When he spoke it was the sound of icicles falling in a frozen forest, distant, heavy and cold."For three hundred years have I guarded this place. Many have I fought, and all vanquished. Never has anyone asked of me my name."

The knight planted his blade in the ground before him and rested his hands upon the pommel, one over the other. His wolves gathered at his feet, and lowered their heads.

"My name was Sir Merevain. I was a brash young knight, brave and foolish, arrogant and unwise. The price I paid for my great hubris was an eternity of servitude to whomever possesses my soul-jewel. My task is to guard this lake, and I shall fail it only through defeat, which no man or woman has yet achieved over me. This is my purpose, this is my curse."

The frost knight drew his sword from the cold earth and adopted a combat stance.

"Enough talk now, Sir Knight. You have fought with uncommon valor and skill, and have earnt my respect." At his feet, the wolves vanished back into mist, which flowed into the rents in his armour. With renewed vigour, the knight strode forward. "Let us end this now, man to man, and may sweet death claim he who falls..."

Asslessman

"An eternity of servitude is a knight's purpose...but only if he willingly makes the choice of it.... whoever holds that soul jewel of yours, I will crush him, I give you my word that I will not let your honour be stained for another heartbeat when I leave this place.
Sir Merevain, if the swords shall be the end of it, I am yours... however... whoever holds you in his power will suffer a wrath like there aren't any other, for the Lady (blessed be her name) loves everyone from the weakest to the mightiest but she despises dishonor and treachery above all."

Raising his sword to his face Seu prepared himslef for the last dance... where mostof the time this gesture would havebeen meant to cause fear in his foes and gain confidence, this time the paladin had raised his sword to his face to hide the tear running from his eye... a tear of rage and pity but one that could hurt the forzen knight in fornt of him. there was but one solutioon to this...

Eggbert wasnt sure that they could promise all that, but he didnt see that they hgad much choice. If Seu was in as much trouble as the Kobold claimed they would need to act fast.

"It is true that Sir Seu has great power and is able to slay mighty foes with the flaming sword" Eggbert confirmed.

weazil

Sorry all - I think much like the good Captain, my own life has been particularly well 'lived' at the moment, with life pretty much exceeding every container I have. Nevertheless, I'm sort of back - here's hoping to an easier December...

Bari frowned as he considered the implications of Papa Toe-Toe's proposal. On the one hand, they didn't have much room to breathe and if he was right about what they did to their human prisoners, then the party should just agree and get on with it.

On the other hand, the temple above was not that of a lost god ... just one that had slipped from everyone's mind for a bit. Could he, as a man of gods, honestly promise the temple to Papa Toe-Toe? Mightn't that set him on the wrong side of Pieter Onne-Dray, especially if he succeeded in bringing life back into that idiot god?

Was it even his problem? Had he been down this hole for so long now that he had forgotten his own mission? His commitments to JOrdann? She was his goddess after all.

"I really, really need to cleanse, man," he muttered to himself.

He scratched his chin before stepping forward. "Ahem."

The giant kobold's eyes swivelled toward Bari.

"The thing is, Daddyo, the god of that temple isn't lost. He's just a little, uh, pre-occupied right now. We can promise you the contents of the temple, together with everything else you've asked of us, but the temple ain't ours to give."

Papa leaned over and looked at Bari scornfully. "There has been no sign or sight of the Lost God for centuries - I should know for I have lived in this mountain for several of them. If you expect me to believe your claims... I'm going to need some proof!"

The fat giant sat back in his chair with an abruptness that caused it to squeak dangerously. The look on Papa Toe-Toe's face was one of smirking arrogance. The look on Bufo's face was one of gasping asphyxiation because he appeared to be trapped under a fat roll (it was possible the squeak from earlier may have come from him, not the chair).

weazil

"Uh, yeah." Bari fidgeted as he searched his mind for the classic arguments he had been schooled in when trying to convince the unwashed unfaithful that the gods existed and were actually quite interesting.

Nothing.

"The thing is...he, uh, appeared to me. Pieter Onne-Dray, that is. You know, like the gods do. I guess we clerics get that more than most." Bari looked down. I met Pieter whilst plummeting to his doom, in fact he's here in the staff with us right now didn't seem like an easy story to explain. Besides, perhaps this wasn't a great time to mention the staff, even though it was glowing. He was sure he was running out of holes to be chucked down, but this didn't seem like the time to test that theory.

"Anyway, maybe what I'm saying is you're welcome to take the temple, but you won't be able to claim that we gave it to you. That's all. If he doesn't come back, I guess it's all yours. If he does, well, I dunno in that case. That's all I'm saying. I could prove it if I could find the High Clerist? You know that cat?"

At Bari's words, Papa Toe-Toe sat back with a gleam of triumph in his eyes and a pleased smirk on his face. "Your words are cleverly chosen, cleric, nicely... non-committal. However it is not the return of dead gods that concerns me, but the humans who may wish to reclaim his temple, including this high clerist you speak of, if he or she lives still (I find it unlikely, humans, like kobolds, have short, pitiful lives). When the time comes, you will speak for Papa Toe-Toe and his children, and defend our claim to this place in exchange for the aid we give. This I will hold you to." The fat kobold nodded imperiously.

"Enough now!" Papa clapped his sausage-like hands together. "Children, cast down ropes and free them. We shall have to make do without main course this night." The sad whining of the gathered kobolds was almost tragic to the party's ears, save that it heralded their impending freedom. Rough-spun ropes unravelled into the pit to the waiting hands of the party...

The party has now been granted their freedom, conditional that they help Papa meet his own, somewhat suspect goals. If anyone opts out at this point they are welcome to stay in the BBQ pit ;)

Papa Toe-Toe smiled benignly at his new 'friends'. "Night is falling outside, and the yuan-ti are nocturnal creatures, for the most part, so to attempt any plan now would be folly. You should take the opportunity to rest and recover yourselves for the day ahead - I believe your great warrior should survive the night, but just in case, I shall send my little children ahead to keep watch over him from the shadows. Once you have rested, we will gather and discuss how you intend to defeat the misstress. In the meantime I will have quarters prepared for you, and also," the fat kobold bellowed the next part to his minions, "FETCH ME THE BATHTIME KEY!"

At this proclamation, the kobolds fled shrieking into the darkness.

Now is time for sleep. Bari may choose a new set of prayers if he wishes, and Eggbert can revise his list of memorised spells. Rambulge's magic will return to full. If you choose to go in the bath you will find it's actually a refreshing underground stream that is mercifully free of kobolds and possessed of a quality that will heal up to 5 points of HP

If any bird had been flying in the empty grey sky over the frozen lake, it would have seen two armoured figures clashing on the pristine snowy banks, one dark blue-grey, the other shining silver-white. No bird lingered there, nor did any living thing stir in this cold place, yet still the warriors fought, for love and life, for honour and duty. Perhaps even for the sweet embrace of death.

Seu brought his holy blade smashing down in a rain of blows that were impossible to block. Once, twice, the cold iron sword broke through armour and frozen flesh, cutting through Sir Merevain and leaving icy mist gushing in it's wake. The frost knight staggered as his essence flowed out of him in long streams, but still he pressed his attack, lunging at Seu, who dodged the strike, and blocked the second as it came. With blades pressed together and their faces close, the paladin looked into the cold eyes of his opponent, and just for a fleeting moment, he thought he could see a glimmer of something there, something that had surely left centuries ago, something that might have been hope...

Combat round 6

Seu attacks Sir Merevain with a Holy Avenger +5, dealing 10 damage!
Seu attacks Sir Merevain with a Holy Avenger +5, dealing 11 damage!

Sir Merevain attacks Seu with Icefang +2. He misses.
Sir Merevain attacks Seu with Icefang +2. He misses.

Seu's HP 18/55

Poor Merevain, could reclaiming his humanity be his downfall, or his salvation? Only the blade can answer that...

Asslessman

His eyes in those of his opponent, Seu saw the sparkle he was seeking... Humanity... A knight's will and faith are his best weapon and armour and Seu had just seen the remnants of Merevain's will in his eyes. Seu Antheus was nothing if not one to respect and value honour.

"Brother, the end is nigh... Tell me who possesses your soul-jewel. In this life or the ones to come I'll make sure whoever desecrated your honour shall receive the rightful knightly punishment he diserves."

Seu then pushed the frost knight with all his strength to play the last movement of their danse.

Eggbert gladly accepted the offer of a good bath.

phantasmal force x 2
audible glamour x 2
ventriloquism

improved phantasmal force
invisibility
fool gold

spectral force
invisibiity sphere
wraithform

Rambulge couldn't get up the rope and into the bath quick enough- his apparel was rank with faeces and urine, and his entire body was covered in a thick layer of oily, greasy slime...he felt sorry for poor Lemmy down there.

He was overcome with relief that they had been spared from the pit, but his heart went heavy at the thought of their missing companions.

"That was a real nice bit of smooth talking there my man" he congratulated Bari.

weazil

Hi all

Sorry for the silence, I've been under the weather with actual, proper flu. Not even man flu - I'm talking, y'know, whale flu. Kraken flu. That scale of thing. Anyhow, I've finally managed to overcome my own icy knight and will get back to regular posting from tomorrow.

Sorry for the delays.

Bari will bath and clean up and sleep and eat and do all the things he needs to do to be ready. Spell list will come tomorrow.

Asslessman

The two opponents seperated, Seu stared at the forst knight for less than half a second " is he going to make the first move or shall I end this ? "

Happy new year to you all and yours !

It's been a great pleasure to share this past year with you guys so here's to plenty more of it !

Seu and Sir Merevain stared at each other over blades held ready to strike. For a split second all creation seemed to hold it's breath, then Merevain spoke:

"You may yet meet the one who carries my soul-jewel, though it is not my wish you should do so. As for my honour... I defend it to the last, and none shall claim that I faltered."

With that Sir Merevain yelled out a fearsome battlecry and lunged forwards, but Seu was faster. The cold iron Holy Avenger struck clean and true, sliding through the frost knight's breastplate and through the cold wad that had once been his living heart. With a sigh, Sir Merevain sank to his knees, and Seu slid the sword from it's frozen sheath. With a gasp, the paladin saw not mist, but warm red blood gush from the wound, staining the white snow with brightest crimson. With his last strength Merevain removed his helm and cast it aside, revealing the handsome, tired face of the man beneath. With a weak smile, he spoke once again to Seu.

"Perhaps... in another time... another life... you and I could have been... brothers. I would have... been honoured to fight... beside you... palad...in."

The cursed knight, released from his duty at last, fell back into the snow, free.

Combat round 7

Seu attacks Sir Merevain with Holy Avenger +5, dealing 13 damage. He defeats him! 2000 EXP GAINED!!

Bufo sat in a corner, looking abashed. He had been released from his iron collar and given back his proper clothes, but the shame of his mankini had not quite left him yet, nor had the filthy looks from certain of his companions abated. He was upset, partly because everyone seemed to be hatin' on a brother a bit too much, but mostly because the yuan-ti had taken all his stuff, including his bottle of Wolfmeister, his impressive cheese collection, and his dwindling supply of cold chicken nuggets. Not only that, but he had been fed particularly dismally since his capture, relying on the few scraps that tumbled from the jaws of the fat kobold king to sate his eternal hunger, and to make matters worse, they had brought them some meat for dinner but had totally neglected to bring anything for any of the several breakfasts he was accustomed to partaking. Life sux.

The underground river the party had been bathing in had carved a natural niche in the bedrock of the mountain, and though dimly lit, made for a cosy encampment. The door to their temporary camp was solid and appeared to be waterproof - most likely to avoid the kobold tunnels flooding during a storm. The Bathtime Key had been temporarily remanded to the party as a show of faith (and because Robin has refused to be locked into a room by a bunch of smelly dog-men). Rambulge and his toad were still frolicking about in the water, the sight of the spell-sword's shining buttocks rolling and diving about was a sight best spared sore eyes. Eggbert had already scrubbed himself off several hours previously, somehow avoiding Bari's continuous offers to scrub his back and 'wherever ails you brother'. The cleric and the gnome had both slept deeply after a hearty meal of some cooked meat that resembled venison, provided by the kobolds. Robin had been unable to identify the exact origin of the meat, as the fauna of this planet was not wholly known to him, but it tasted good (nicely marinated) and hadn't killed anyone yet so that was something. The ranger had gotten rest like the others, but insisted on a watch as usual, a less-than popular idea, but sensible. He'd had an uneasy feeling down here in the gloom, like they were being watched by something other than kobolds...

Duke, the hobo, had reliquished his infant charge to the kobolds wetnurse who had cared for her up in the temple, a large, matronly bitch who had numerous swollen teats that were ripe for the baby girl to plunder. If you didn't think about it too hard, it was sort of sweet. Actually it was all pretty gross, but the child was finally content. Duke had since curled up on the floor, sleeping the deep sleep of the vagrant, and was yet to stir.

As the party began their preparations for the day ahead, Eggbert had his prominent nose buried deep in his spellbook, which had survived thick and thin due to it's hefty, water-proof, life-proof casing. His occasional murmurings did nothing to disguise the sounds of Bari performing his spiritual cleansings in the far corner of the niche - they had only Rambulge's splashing and Bufo's grumbling belly between their ears and that sticky horror...

There was a loud rapping at the door, and it swung open to reveal a pair of large kobolds, far bigger and tougher-looking than the majority of their brethren. They even sported tatters of clothing and scraps of armour here and there, some pieces clearly scavenged from the snake overlords, but some looked more human in fashion. They carried swords of various make at their hips and shields on their backs. The design on the shield was hard to decipher, but may have once resembled a stylized image of Papa Toe-Toe himself, wielding some sort of club-like weapon in his overly-muscled arms.

"You... come now. King Papa Toe-Toe commands". The speech of the kobold bully-boys was rough and sounded like a dog trying to speak the tongue of man through the muzzle of dog - which was precisely what was happening, of course. The pair turned and skipped back through the portal, waiting just outside expectantly for the party to follow...

Happy new year everyone, and welcome back. I hope everyone had a nice xmas and new years ;)

Papa Toe-Toe wishes for the party to join in a discussion of the rescue plan. All are expected to join, though of course, it's your choice :) There may even be a buffet breakfast on if you're lucky.
Bari can submit his spell list whenever he has completed it, we'll assume for now that he prayed real hard and is all ready to go. Eggbert has already submitted his list, and Rambulge has had his spell allowance recharged for the day ahead. I'll need to update Rambulge's data to reflect his last level-up!

Asslessman

"Mere... Mer...Merevain ? MEREVAIN ? " Seu let his sword down and knelt to his fallen opponent, sobbing like a child trying to hide his tears.

"I must be strong, I'm not crying, it's OK, Merevain knew all along what would happen... DAMN that dust in my eye !"

Seu took the body of the knight and disposed it in an honourable position, his sword on him with his arms crossed on the hilt as they did for all the braves falling on the battlefield.

"Rest assured Sir knight, noone shall ever claim you faltered, there will be songs about you and they will be songs of honour and pride."

Seu sang some words he had forgotten, words he had heard when he was but a child and he could see the knights coming back with their eyes reddened and their mouths shut. Those were the words the women would sing to guide the soul of the fallen and soothe that of the living. At the last verse he closed Merevain's eyes and stood up, his eyes shiny from the tears and blazing like a sun at the same time, his voice still trembling he slowly uttered those words with all his heart's resolve :

"Dear Lady, hear the cry of your servant, enough good men have fallen and suffered now, please let me put an end to it with my sword or my life"

Penddraig

Pulling his hunting leathers together and making sure that his magical ring and potion of darkness were still on him, Robin walked out the door to the waiting Kobolds. On the way, as he passed Bufo, he grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and dragged him along. "Don't worry Bufo, I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunity to explain what you have been up to and how you're going to continue to help us along".

Robin smiled at the small rogue; it was the kind of smile he used when he was sure he was on the trail of his prey...

Back