D&D ADVENTURE! THE DOMAIN OF THE UNDER-DOG

Penddraig

Robin leant against the rock pondering the next course of action. Still musing he picked up a rock the size of his palm, then wiped the back of his hand against his mouth. They had to make a choice, but which way?

He leant over the slope downwards and opened his hand, letting the rock fall. Under his breath, Robin counted to see how long it took for the rock to land (if at all)'and if it landed on something hard or wet.

Robin counted for three seconds as the rock rattled down the stony slide before it landed with a dry paf sound, like someone had punched their fist into packed sand. There was no further sound.

Penddraig

Robin looked at the others in the deep shadow cast by Bari's lit stave. "I think we should go down. It doesn't seem far and I honestly don't think we're in a state to climb up this wall. We need to keep moving forward, Seu and Yngwie need us. What do the rest of you say?"

weazil

"Dude has a point." Bari nodded. "We gotta get Seu and Yngwie."

Bari adjusted his loincloth, before stepping onto the slope.

"Tally-ho."

Bari will drop into the hole.

With as much dignity as a lightly peppered man wearing bed sheets and a potato sack soaked in tangy marinade could muster, Bari took the plunge down the rock slide. His heels lost their grip almost immediately as the slope became a lot steeper, and after a brief plummet he landed in a pile of something that felt like sand, only lighter (and swore as he sustained a nasty bruise on his left butt-cheek from landing on the rock Robin had thrown down there). The light from the stave glittered on white powdery crystals that clung to his sticky body wherever it touched him. Salt... thought Bari. Because of course it is.

weazil

"Y'all can come on down - it's just a pile of salt," Bari called up the tunnel.

Bari will use the light to explore the room - not getting too far (say, 10') from the pile of salt.

Rambulge poked at the ledge suspiciously with his foot- "I have a bad feeling about this" he said, with even more foreboding in his voice than usual.

After a last look up and around his surroundings, Rambulge leapt down into the salt.

Asslessman

Seu unsheathed his sword and appreciated its balance with some practice swings to intimidate his foe. The blade felt right... any blade would have for that matter. Swords are a paladin's natural arm extension and his body is only complete when covered in mail and steel.

Seu raised the sword to his lips "Burn, baby burn... that's what I would have said to your sister... what I can tell you is Thank you Lady, for letting me fight for your cause once again...".

Looking at the frost knight straight into the pale blue rings of light that served as eyes "You mocked me for you thought I was no knight and yet you are the one summoning creatures to accomplish your deeds, Steel doesn't make a knight... oh no, Honour does ... and Faith.... Yes I've got to have faith.... "

At that very instant, Seu dashed at the frost knight, giving everything he had in him...

Sorry guys about the delay, Last Week end was this sort of week ends where people get into your house to robb you and where you have an accident on the motorway on your way to your holidays...
Short story, everything's pretty much OK but my frustration of losing so much photos of the kids and all and a shit load of good music, but that's how it is.
For now I won't have many means of connecting apart from the Lady's phone so please accept my apologies for the absence.

For the time being just think about your current position and remember good ol' Bari is here to help you with this Salt and pepper thingee

On a gaming note, I'd like to know if Seu got his powers back or not to know if he can cast something on his foe or not, if not, let the man work his magic like he knows... ;)

Asslessman

Then let me sense evil in him and then "Smite evil" if he is (evil)... if he isn't, well It's just going to be rage and steel.
I am in need of a cathartic fight, I mean , I need JUSTICE to prevail right now :evil: :twisted:

Penddraig

Robin slipped down the slope to land in the pile of salt. Never one to pass up an opportunity, he picked up a pile and put it in a pouch. Meeting Rambulge's puzzled face, Robin replied, "trail food. Salt is one of the most difficult items to get so I might as well get some now." Robin also reached down and picked up the rock he had thrown down. Better than nothing, he thought to himself.

Sorry to hear your news Assleman, hope things are improving for you.

Seu stretched out his senses in order to detect any evil in the knight that stood before him, but neither the warrior nor his icewolves showed an evil aura - he sensed only a singular will to battle - a clarion call that the paladin was well equipped to answer!
With a mighty cry to the lady, Seu Antheus charged at the frost knight, his cold iron blade fairly humming through the freezing air. The knight braced himself as his wolves leapt into the fray, the first one barreling towards Seu as he made his headlong charge. The creature lashed out with it's icicle teeth but it's head was bashed aside by Seu's armoured leg, causing it to stagger as shards of icy fang flew in all directions.

Seu brought his blade down in an overhead chop, exulting in the raw joy of combat, momentarily forgetting about his bleeding, bound body, wherever it might be. The blade clove through the frost knight's defences, splitting his frost-rimed shield in a single thunderous blow and cutting into the shoulder, releasing a gush of super-cooled air as it did so. The knight reeled back from the unexpected ferocity of the strike, and was unable to parry the next swing as Seu followed up his attack - the frost sword and the holy blade met in a clash of metal and held briefly, the holy sword cutting into the frost knight's upper arm, each combatant striving to push the other back, before finally breaking free. The frost knight used the break to make his attack, thrusting his ice blade forwards and piercing Seu's side. The cold edge of the blade burned and froze Seu's flesh all at once, and he gritted his teeth as the sword tore free, leaving a blackened, frostbitten wound. The frost knight swung again, this time smashing through Seu's guard and sending him staggering back, another great slash opening up across his shoulder and left breast, the pauldron of his white armour shattering and falling to the ground. As Seu fell back, the second wolf took it's chance and snapped at the paladin's sword arm, but missed completely, falling back as the bold knight rolled and put his boot into it. The frost knight circled Seu as he struggled back to his feet, tossing aside the shattered remains of his shield, and gripped his icy blade with two hands. The wolves bared their fangs in unearthly snarls, ready to close in for the kill, the one with broken teeth already showing signs of regrowing them...

Combat round 1

Ice Wolf attacks Seu. It misses.

Seu attacks Frost Knight with Holy Avenger +5, CRITICAL HIT! Dealing 18 damage!
Seu attacks Frost Knight with Holy Avenger +5, dealing 11 damage!

Frost Knight attacks Seu with Icefang +2, dealing 8 damage!
Frost Knight attacks Seu with Icefang +2, CRITICAL HIT! Dealing 8 damage!

Ice Wolf attacks Seu. It misses.

Seu's HP 39/55

Bari held his stave aloft, casting it's faint light around the area he found himself in. Robin and Rambulge were rolling around in salt behind him, filling their pockets, and he heard the sounds of Duke and his tiny charge making their way down the slide (they landed in the salt with a thump, causing Duke to grunt, and the child giggled for the first time since they had picked her up). Of Eggbert there was no sign as yet.
Unwilling to go far from the salt pile, Bari soon found that he could see they were basically in a round pit about 20 feet in diameter, with walls of indeterminable height. The blackness loomed above them, impenetrable and sullen. There didn't appear to be any way out that he could see. The walls looked unnaturally smooth from where he was standing. There was no discernable sounds to be heard, though if he tried really hard, he could detect a slightly damp, unpleasant smell over the pepper, salt and marinade he was already redolent with.

Where do we go from here?

Asslessman

The danse of blades ! Seu somehow felt relieved his opponent was not one of those evil doers they had met too many of lately. This was a combat of honour, this was a combat of faith, this was the kind of combat where a man puts the weight of his heart and resolve in every blow.
Seu was determined to ignore the wolves and keep his focus on his real opponent, just like he would throw aside all that could divert him from his duty to the Lady...

:o

Holy Avenger +5 ...

:shock:

I know it's wrong to be after powerful stuff and all and most of the time you will have me not giving a bird shit about my AC or my damges but sod it, HOLY AVENGER +5...

You know it's just like if you're not into cars but someone lets you drive one really fancy one, see what I mean?

Well thanks for that !

I just hope to survive this duel to be able to touch all the buttons on the sword :grin:

Eggbert was reluctant to dive down the hole. He is very concerned about the marinading they were receiving. But there seemed to be no other option, so he jumped down.

weazil

Bari nodded to himself as he watched the graceful plume of salt caused by the gnome's powdery impact. Now that they were all present and accounted for, he felt safer to explore. The cleric used the light to peer at the walls of the enclosure, poking and prodding both the walls and the floor.

"Robin? You're a hunter, right? You think you can see any trace of Bufo? He must've been covered in all this crap too. I'm guessing he found a way out."

Penddraig

Robin nodded, "just stand behind me with the light, using the shadows helps". Robin bent down to search for any tracks.

Robin will search for any tracks and check his direction sense to see which way they are heading.

Seu and the frost knight circled each other warily, each having taken the measure of the other in brutal fashion. One of the wolves darted forwards, jaws opened wide to crush and maim, but it's attack was easily dodged. Seu launched his attack in response, his holy blade cleaving through the knight's defenses, cutting deep into his armoured side and sticking fast. As the cold iron blade found it's mark, a sound of splitting ice was heard as a giant crack appeared in the frozen lake.
The frost knight wrenched the holy blade free from his side with a blast of icy mist and struck Seu as they broke apart, opening another wound on his sword arm as the frozen blade smote through metal and flesh. His second strike was a crushing blow that shattered Seu's shield, much as he had done to the knight. The second wolf, sensing Seu was on the back foot, leapt to bite at his throat, but the paladin was ready and deflected the creature's attack with the remains of his shield, sending the wolf pitching into the ground at such an angle that it lay dazed and disoriented, struggling to regain it's footing...

With both shields now smashed and useless, the two combatants, both wounded, rallied themselves for the next exchange. Seu's wounds were blackened with frost and burned with a coldness that gnawed at his strength, but his resolve was unwavering, as was his faith - he would not fail the Lady!

Combat Round 2

Icewolf attacks Seu. It misses.

Seu attacks Frost Knight with Holy Avenger +5, dealing 13 damage!

Frost Knight attacks Seu with Icefang +2, dealing 7 damage!
Frost Knight attacks Seu with Icefang, CRITICAL HIT! Dealing 8 damage!

Icewolf attacks Seu. CRITICAL MISS!

Seu's HP 24/55

JB has done something seriously weird to my D20 with his strange mind powers. This is the third critical hit (natural 20 roll) in this combat (of only 2 rounds so far) and the wolves have struggled to make an attack roll in excess of '5' - one even rolled a '1', hence the critical fumble. Be careful though Mr Assless, for whatever powers you have imbued the dice with, it's working in favour of the frost knight too - he has so far rolled 18, 20, 19, 20... that's a scary probability right there...

As soon as Robin set foot out of the saltpile he could feel the ground wasn't right. The crunchy crystals gave way to soft, powdery drifts that held nuggets of harder matter that crushed beneath his boot sole. Bending down Robin confirmed his fear - the bottom of the pit was covered in ash, and the crunchy bits were cinders - remains of a barbeque pit large enough to cook them all! Looking closely he could see the imprint of little clawed feet around the edges and criss-crossing the pit floor. Kobold prints, there was no doubt. The darkness seemed to grow closer, and more oppressive, the roof seemed to loom towards him somehow... then he realised the roof WAS getting closer - in fact, it appeared to be billowing up and down!

A waft of damp and fetid air hit their nostrils as air was displaced by some large, moving mass. Ash blew around in flurries that stung the eyes and made them cough. The baby started wailing again despite Duke's best efforts to shoosh her. They became aware of the sound of skittering claws coming from above, and as they looked up to spot the source, a strange thing began to happen. The roof was being drawn back in tugs and jerks, and a flickering light was visible in the blackness beyond. Several yipping calls rang out, and suddenly a pair of bright lights came tumbling down into the pit with them - burning brands that lit up the area with lurid flames and dancing shadows. Tiny heads appeared at the edge of the pit, peeping down at them, and the sound in the chamber became more and more of a din as dozens more kobolds lent their shrill yaps to the cacophony.

Finally, a loud, deep voice rang out from the darkness, bellowing lustily. "Quiet, quiet children, hey! Hush now! Pull me closer, let me look!"

Craning their necks up, the party saw a ramshackle wooden structure draw close to the edge of their pit, sort of a cross between a gantry and a great big throne. Seated on the throne was the largest, fattest kobold Robin had ever heard of. His face was a mass of rolling jowls and drooping furry skin, and his belly shook with every motion. Smaller kobolds were visible, leaping about, carrying torches and kindling wood, some of which was already being tossed down into the pit. Bari swore again as a pile of sticks bounced off of his head and shoulders, and as he brushed them out of his thick, luxurious locks, more soon followed.

"It looks like we have ourselves a couple of big ones this time," chuckled the huge kobold, looking over his captives with eyes that seemed tiny within his grotesquely fat face. "Are these the ones you told us about, tiny man?" the great fat fiend tugged on a chain at something that was just out of sight. There was a sound like a sack of potatoes falling down some stairs, and a little head appeared at the pit's edge.

"Ouch! Ah! Oh yes, your mightiness, those are the ones alright! They'll be good and tender, no doubt - well, except that one," the small figure pointed at Robin, "he'd be a bit stringy I reckon."

The voice was all-too familiar to the party, as was the head that went with it. It was Bufo.

Asslessman

As the danse of blades continued, Seu tried to make the valse take him closer to the shore. That giant crack in the lake was not to his liking and he knew oh too well how badly fully armoured knights swim...
If the crack in the ice was the image of his foe's resolve, he did not want to be around the centre of it when he'd collapse... For Seu knew that the frost knight had to fall, one of them had to... the paladin was simply not letting the Lady down...not now... and that sword.... holy sweet dove ! That sword ! It felt so right in his hand ! just like when his father had let him try a couple of practice swings with his Holy sword (named STING) !

Seu's trying to get closer to the shore in case something nasty happens...
If the remains of his shield offer no proetction anymore he wil ljust throw it at his foe and use hissword with 2 hands.

Note to self : remember to heal yourself once you've made your 2 attacks you fool !

No comments on Bufo...not now

"Bufo!" Rambulge shouted excitedly, his delight in seeing the podgy little chap alive was tempered by the company he was keeping.

He gathered himself up, and boldly proclaimed "Now listen here, I am Rambulge Dungaree Pastorious, mystic warrior and I must warn you against any aggression towards me or my companions"
Trying to sound as commanding as possible, he added "and release our man there too!"

Back