Remote gaming, another way, Oldhammer online!

The place to discuss your games in progress with remote adversary

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:30 am

Remote gaming, another way, Oldhammer online!

Just thought I'd share my first tentative steps into trying to host a game on a virtual table top using top down pictures of my own minis. Here's a little shot of a few:

We are playing tonight and we'll find out if this is a good idea or not! I hope it all works out and I'll be playing many of you all soon!

Some posts on the blog:

http://ernysplace.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/the-field-of-battle-virtual-oldhammer.html

http://ernysplace.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/so-who-wants-game-of-warhammer.html

http://ernysplace.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/oldhammer-online.html

Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:03 am

Re: Remote gaming, another way, Oldhammer online!

Cracking game last night Erny - it worked a treat.

Almost too much of a Club atmosphere on the several occasions we got nattering too much! ;)

Not sure I'm playing terribly well to the Dwarves' strengths but we'll see if I can salvage anything when we meet again.

The game play works just like a table top game of WFB3 with a dice rolling mechanism not a million miles away from the dice log we used in the game Dreamfish hosted a while back.

Donator

Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:48 pm

Cool! Can't wait to hear a full report!

Blue
3rd Edition will rise AGAIN!!!!
My Painting collecting...and sometimes gaming Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:29 am

Erny, can you please give us some details on the technical side of things. What software did you use to host this? Also, what dice service?

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:42 am

The site I used is Roll20, there is no download of software you just log into your account and run a campaign off of it. Accounts are free but paid ones are available for extra memory and other minor perks. Your friends just log in to your campaign through their own accounts.

It is very intuitive with the ability to drag and drop images straight onto your virtual table top and resize them there. Any transparencies or effects you have to do yourself before putting them in the site.

Dice rolling is all part of the site, even 3d dice if you wish.

It really is just like a table top, no bells an whistles, or at least none that don't stay hidden to make the experience as close to using a table top across the internet as you are likely to get.

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:56 am

One thing I've noticed about the virtual tabletops I've looked at is they:

* don't handle turning of groups very well - so you end up having to rotate every figure in a unit, rather than select them all.
* enforce grid-based movement.

How does Roll20 stack up on those points?

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:17 am

Ahaaaa, I thought Roll20 was just an online dice thingamajig.

I foresee some faffing about this evening. My main interests are Song of Blades or other skirmish games, and 2nd edition blood bowl (for shits and giggles).

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:41 am

Zhu Bajie wrote:One thing I've noticed about the virtual tabletops I've looked at is they:

* don't handle turning of groups very well - so you end up having to rotate every figure in a unit, rather than select them all.
* enforce grid-based movement.

How does Roll20 stack up on those points?

Turning groups is a pain, I think mainly because the people who set these up are RPGers and don't' even consider it. The people at roll 20 are actively discussing it, such as where to pivot from the center, the corner etc.

I, circumvented the problem by having a separate page, that the players couldn't see, with all the units at various angles ready to paste into the main battle field page.

The grid issue is no problem. You can turn the grid off. I made my own rulers for movement scaled by eye to the size of the miniatures bases. It all worked very well.

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:42 am

phreedh wrote:Ahaaaa, I thought Roll20 was just an online dice thingamajig.

I foresee some faffing about this evening. My main interests are Song of Blades or other skirmish games, and 2nd edition blood bowl (for shits and giggles).

It would be great to get some SoBH in, no problems with turning either. Perhaps a few of us could set up a campaign even.

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:45 pm

phreedh wrote:and 2nd edition blood bowl (for shits and giggles).

Oooooooooh I would love to play some 2nd edition Blood Bowl. How can we make this happen? I know nothing about this Roll20 magic.
Next

Return to Remote Gaming