D&D ADVENTURE! THE TEMPLE OF PIETER ONNE-DRAY

The place to discuss your games in progress with remote adversary

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:20 pm

D&D ADVENTURE! THE TEMPLE OF PIETER ONNE-DRAY

THE CHASE TO THE CRYSTAL CITY, CHAPTER 2: THE TEMPLE OF PIETER ONNE-DRAY

Welcome friends, to the next chapter of an adventure beyond time, space and reason! Discover new worlds and meet strange people (and that's just the players).

The party found themselves in a bit of a sticky pickle when they fell afoul of the mega-corporation known as IDRA - landing them in prison for crimes they (mostly) didn't commit! After a sterling effort on the legal bench, and an impossibly awesome battle with a greater demon, the heroes hitched a ride on a rickety cargo train like the gang of murder-hobos they are, and are headed to destinations unknown in pursuit of the evil mouse-man, Wandemar Cheesethrane, who still has in his possession the most holy relic of The Order of the Lady of the Lake, a milky gemstone with unknown powers, that must be returned to it's rightful owners! Also, they totally want to kick his furry ass because he is just that mean.

The train is nearing it's destination, and it's almost time for our heroes to jump off...

DRAMATIS PERSONAE:

Sir Seu Antheus, lvl 5 Paladin of the Holy Order of the Lady of the Lake

Bufo the Black Hood, lvl 3 Neutral Evil Halfling Rogue

Robin, Lawful Good Human, lvl 5 Ranger

Rambulge, Neutral Good Human, lvl 2/2 Fighter/Sorcerer

Bari the White, Chaotic Good Human, lvl 5 Cleric of Jordann

Eggbert, Neutral Good Gnome, lvl 6 Illusionist
Last edited by Captain Crooks on Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Re: D&D ADVENTURE! THE TEMPLE OF PIETER ONNE-DRAY

Bufo awoke to the sound of Yngwie, the elven bard, yelling something about something or other. He rolled over and went back to sleep.

The next thing to awake Bufo was the paladin, Seu Antheus, shaking him roughly by the arm. He said something about something or other. Bufo rolled over, farted, and began to snore again.

The next thing to awake Bufo was the sound of rushing air. He blinked his eyes to clear the sleep-time fuzz, and realised he was flying. Sort of. Falling, really. Falling towards the hard surface of a station platform. He landed with a thump and went back to sleep. Bufo had arrived at Platina station.

The party stood together in the middle of an abandoned station. Platina was not like IDRA Grand Central - the latter was a grandiose display of wealth and ornamentation, but Platina had the mark of heavy industry firmly stamped upon it. The platforms were littered with refuse and rubble, and vast ore carts stood still and motionless on their dollies, the dust of decades caked upon them. This place had not seen use in a long, long time.

"Platina station," Yngwie explained, "was the gateway to one of IDRA's most profitable worlds - the platinum mines of Platina are famous around the galaxy, or at least, they were. IDRA shut them down a century ago, according to them, there was some problem with snakes. It must have been a lot of snakes to stop the IDRA. Rumour has it that the mines ran dry and they just wanted to claim some kind of insurance on the lost revenue - as if anyone could possibly reimburse them. The whole debacle bankrupted an entire galactic sector and a lot of people wound up suffering a great deal. Not that IDRA would care about that..."

"So what are we doing here?" asked Bufo, rubbing his sore head. He was still cranky that someone ('which of you was it, huh?') had thrown him off that train, and right in the middle of a pork-pie dream he was having...

"Well," the elf grinned, "it just so happens that Platina was home to more than just platinum mines - it had thriving cities, and a rich culture, and... it had the temple."

"Temple?" inquired Bari, his interest piqued.

"Yep! The Temple of Pieter Onne-Dray. I was a member of the College of Magecraft, and myself and several other students used to.. frequent the temple. For religious purposes." Yngwie winked at Bari. "Follow me - we made a secret entrance a long time ago, but the enchantment was strong - it should still be active!"

The party trudged through the empty station, which was eerily quiet. There was no sign that anyone had set foot here since it was abandoned all that time ago. Eventually they came to a dark alley behind some boarded up kiosks. Yngwie led them up to what looked like a sewer grate, and began to tug at it. "Help me out here guys!"

With a little help, the grate was soon lifted out of the way, and they were able to descend a ladder into the gloom of the tunnels beneath the station. The passage was dry and dusty, but still retained the faint smell of old shit. After 10 minutes of walking by the light of the paladin's flaming sword, they came to a dead-end.

"Alright folks, time for some Wiz-Biz!" the elf announced. He reached up the surface of the stone wall, tapping, feeling, till he came across what he was looking for - a small indent. He pressed his finger into it and whispered a word of magic. Then the bard reached down and found a similar indent close to the ground. At the next muttered word, a line of pale blue light sprang from one indent to the other, forming the shape of a door. Pressing his palm to the smooth wall within the boundary of light, Yngwie commanded 'open!' - and suddenly, the whole surface was rippling blue energy that sparkled and zapped!

Yngwie dug around in a pouch and produced an old copper coin. He flicked it at the blue wall of light, and it disappeared with a cracking sound.

"Well, it seems to be working! I'll go first. See you on the other side..." the elf stepped forwards, entered the light and - vanished!

Bufo looked on, feeling equal parts fascination, and horror. "Erm... bags not going next!" he squeaked!

Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:34 pm

The party had already left their lives in the hands of the elf and he had proven to be a reliable companion so far.

"A temple's ahead you say? A paladin does not fear temples! Temples of good are havens to seek and temples of evil are blasphemies to destroy! let us haste my friends."

Following the elf, Seu entered the light leading to the unknown, whispering some words of prayer to the Lady of the Lake to thank her for this new opportunity to achieve his quest...

Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:31 pm

Robin looked about him. More towns and cities, he sighed softly. He missed the forest and the open plains, hopefully soon their journey would take them back that way.

He turned towards the portal, watching as the elf and Seu walked through and hearing Bufo's exclamation of "erm... Bags, not going next!", Robin couldn't resist.

"You're not," Robin smiled and with a nudge into his back propelled the little Halfling through the portal before following, his hand on the curve of his bow.

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:03 pm

"You beat me to it, Robin" Rambulge said with a wry smile.

Like Robin, Rambulge yearned for the forest and open plains, but most certainly unlike the Ranger, Rambulge also had a yearning for his Mummy.

Pushing the thought of Dear Mother out of his head once again, the spell sword summoned all his courage and stepped into the unknown, again!
R.I.P. Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus

My blog http://leadoralivebruno.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/enter-bruno.html

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:47 pm

"Ah, seems to be some sort of trans-causal tele-chronal nexus device. Lets give it a whirl then" said Eggbrt, hopping through.

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:33 pm

"Hey wouldn't it be funny if this was one of those instant death portals that erase you from existence the second you step through?"
- Famous last words of Llendrel Brightsong, half-elven minstrel.

Bufo didn't even have time to squeal a protest before he was sent head-first into the portal. He had a brief glimpse of the universe swirling about him, but this time it was over in a second.

He found himself in a dark, dusty, musty, nasty old tunnel, rough-hewn out of solid rock by some means or other. Yngwie was in front of him, trying to strike tinder to a torch that looked about 100 years old. Seu was there too, looking about himself.

"Damn this 100 year old torch," muttered Yngwie. "Why don't you light up that fancy sword of yours, paladin?"

"Damn that ranger," muttered Bufo, "what if that was one of those instant death portals that erase you from existence the second you step through?"

Bufo could see well enough in the gloom to know that this place hadn't seen use in years. The dust was caked thick, almost cloying. Every step sent up a whirl of it. Behind the little thief, Robin, Rambulge and Eggbert had materialised, and were checking out their surroundings.

The halfling quietly made his way down the gloomy passage, his steps silent. He paused when he saw a series of lumpen shapes lying in his path. He looked back over his shoulder to make sure the others were within yelling distance if something went wrong, then slowly, slowly edged up to the closest heap. He nudged it with his foot, very gingerly. Nothing moved. He pulled his shortsword out and stuck it into the pile with a quick jab - nothing screamed. He lifted what seemed to be some rotten cloth with the tip of the blade, and revealed a humanoid skeleton huddled beneath. It didn't move - it wasn't an un-dead skeleton, just a regular dead one. There were some tantalisingly shiny jewelry still hanging about it's dusty old throat and wrists. Bufo looked over his shoulder to see if Seu was watching, and began lifting the baubles. The metal was heavy, but not gold - it was silvery-grey, but not shiny like silver... could it be? "Platinum..." the little thief gasped. He had never held metal of this kind before, but knew it by description. It was very valuable...

He hopped over to the next heap and found the same thing. There were five bodies, all decked out in rotten old cloth-of-gold robes and bedecked in platinum jewelry set with all manner of precious stones... he was rich, RICH!

He turned to head back to the group to report (most) of his findings and almost ran right into Yngwie.

"Damn! You shouldn't sneak up on me like that!" complained Bufo, trying very hard not to look at his bulging pockets, full of loot.

"What did you find, master thief?" the elf asked, his face grim.

"Uhh, b-bodies... five of them. They look like priests or something, they have robes, and, um, robes."

Yngwie stooped down, inspecting the nearest sad heap. His face was a mask of misery that was heartbreaking to behold.

"These were priests of Pieter Onne-Dray. They lived here at the temple. They... they were likely friends of mine, once long ago. They must have gotten trapped in here, and starved to death. This passage is well hidden, and known only to a select few." He shook his head, sadly. "They didn't know how to access our portal... if only I had told them, they might have lived."

The elf stooped over another body, picking at the musty remains with grief. Bufo took the opportunity to creep back to the rest of the group.

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:37 pm

Bari materialised behind the rest of the group, being not at all thrilled to be the last one on the cold platform. How he longed for interdimensional travel that involved some sort of sunlight! If cold, dark corridors were all the IDRA had to offer, they could bloody well keep it.

"Oh my gods I can't believe - I've never been this far away from home..." he hummed, adjusting his sack just so, in order to maintain the curious stimulation that only comes with old hemp.

The name Pieter Onne-dray stirred something deep in Bari's subconscious. Without knowing why, he felt both warmth and coldness jangle their discordant ways through his emotions as he muttered the name to himself. He knew the name, but he didn't know where from. Without even thinking about it, he realised he'd touched his tiger's tooth and offered a small prayer to Jordann, requesting her divine guidance on the matter. The result was instantaneous - the word pillock dropped into his mind without so much as a knock on the door.

Which left Bari wondering - did Jordann think he was a pillock? If so, he'd have to tend to that quickly. A cleansing ritual was definitely in order...

Spoiler: Bar'i's Back!
Hey kids! Bari's back! Didja miss me? Huh? Huh?

Anyway, Asslessman - thank you for stewarding Bari through the dark tunnels of the IDRA - much better to be in the these dark tunnels than those, eh? I'll take over from here.

DM - I see the Mollysworld resource that I was using to determine spell choices and the like have gone. I have found other cleric spell resources, but some of them I presume are not very serious (lvl 1 - detect pregnancy? really?) and I see there are some level 0 spells which I presume are from a different edition. Do you have any suggestions as to where I might find the latest trending cleric spells?

Cheers!
Regards,
Gaj

Always interested in contacting any gamers interested in Warhammer Fantasy 3rd Edition!
Also interested in any old 80's Citadel figures you may want to get rid of.

http://warhammerforadults.blogspot.com

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:01 pm

Robin looked around him checking the dusty floor for any sign of tracks; anything living would suggest that there was something in this place but at the moment he saw nothing.

The others were moving down the corridor, instinctively Robin moved to the shadowy edge of the corridor and slowed his footsteps, keeping his tred light and even. His fingers itched to reach for an arrow but this was a temple, he felt uncomfortable reaching for a weapon until he knew more about this place.

Spoiler: Robins actions
guess it's reunion time as we all seem to have come back into the game. Robins going to be a bit sneaky and lurk at the side of the party towards the rear in case something happens and he can conceal their true number.

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:01 pm

"Curious place this."

Spoiler: actions
Eggbert looks carefully at the ceiling for traps. You never know.
Next

Return to Remote Gaming