D&D ADVENTURE! Quest for the Abbot's Cheese

The place to discuss your games in progress with remote adversary

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:55 pm

Re: D&D ADVENTURE! Quest for the Abbot's Cheese

"Steam?" bellowed Bari. "Steam? Oh I can do steamy, alright! First you got to get a firm grip!"

Bari started intoning another prayer. "Booyah!" he exclaimed, pointing his hand at one of the flying creatures.

Spoiler: Bari's Actions
Bari will cast Hold Person on any healthy flyer not yet shot by Robin. Failing that, he'll target the (as he determines it) healthiest one.The plan is to have the little bugger crash into the floor and get stuck by the trap. I don't have a detailed description of the spell, so there is a lot of assumption as to how it works...
Regards,
Gaj

Always interested in contacting any gamers interested in Warhammer Fantasy 3rd Edition!
Also interested in any old 80's Citadel figures you may want to get rid of.

http://warhammerforadults.blogspot.com

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:45 am

Robin's lightning fast reflexes sent another arrow into the circling imps, landing a hit on one that made it screech with anger and pain and almost sending it tumbling from the air. The feathered shaft protruded from it's lower abdomen, causing a jet of steam to whistle forth.

Rambulge fumbled in his pack with fingers that no longer had nerves to feel. A red mist veiled his vision, his head was light, and he was so, so tired. He somehow gripped the precious bottle in his knapsack, uncorked the lid and with hands clasped tight around it, raised it to his lips. The healing tonic flowed down his throat, magically invigorating every fibre of his being, a warmth that flowed out to every extremety. The flesh on his fingers knitted and healed, the skin became smooth and healthy once more. He had cheated death once more!

One of the steaming beasts swooped into the doorway, raking at Robin with it's hard, super-heated claws, missing with the first strike, the second scoring a gash across the ranger's cheek, a cut that scalded as it tore through his flesh.

Sir Antheus, encased within his burning hot shell, placed his hands upon his breast and let the healing power of the Lady flow through him. His burns began to soothe and heal instantly, restoring some of his mighty spirit along with his physical form.

On the ground, the badly wounded imp writhed as it felt the spell effects lessen, but it was unable to right itself and collapsed back, beginning to turn incorporeal as it's life-force ebbed.

Bufo lined up the urn once more, letting fly with his sling and dealing it a mightly blow with a good round bullet. The urn split, causing a big green gush of fluid to spurt out. It continued leaking down the pillar in a steady stream.

Robin took a bead on the creature that already bore one of his arrows in it's gut - the shot flew straight, but at the last second the fiend dodged aside, causing the arrow to clatter on the far wall. The ranger cursed softly.

Beside the ranger, Bari was muttering to himself, "a piece of iron, a piece of iron... I got it!" Stuffing his hand deep into the ranger's sack, he felt around until his hand found what it sought. He withdrew one of the rusty daggers the goblins had wielded - sure enough, it was a piece of barely sharpened iron, bound in old leather strips. "Well, it'll have to do!" smirked the cleric. He held the iron dagger before him and started to concentrate...

The remaining imps circled warily, unsure how to commit to the fight with the least amount of risk to themselves - these flesh-things were tough! In a rare show of leadership, Malthazar swooped in, seeking to tear at the shiny Paladin who's very aura was pain to their existence. He lashed at the holy warrior, but his claws raked over unyielding metal - he couldn't harm him!

The next imp, seeing the futility of attacking with claws, instead smirked evilly as he raised his arms high... and the storm rained down. The heroes endured the agony once again, Bufo crying as his the flesh from his fingers reddened and the skin from his fingers sloughed off. Antheus, his mind one with the power of his lady, fought through the pain once more. Rambulge was nearing his limit, the burning drops running down his face and neck, the sensation was like being eaten alive by painful, biting insects, and he moaned with the pain.

The last imp dived at the Paladin, perhaps hoping that the boiling water had weakened his defences. The beast's sharp talons found a home in the gap of armour between breast and neck, tearing at the flesh and burning it simultaneously. It's second attack glanced off the stout breastplate with a sickening scraping noise, wisps of steam rising in the claw's wake.

Bari suddenly opened his eyes - the dagger in his palm glowed then vanished in a flash! The cleric pointed at the circling imps and yelled 'BOOYAH!' Malthazar screeched in horror as steely bands of invisible force encircled his body - his wings crushed together, and with a last desperate flail before complete immobilisation set in, he plummeted from the air, landing in the zone of magical grip. The creature that had just wounded the Paladin found itself stricken in the same fashion, crashing headlong into the floor, not even able to twitch under the influence of Jordann's power.

Spoiler: BATTLE STATS
Battle Round 2
Robin strikes a steam mephit with a sheaf arrow, dealing 8 damage.
Rambulge drinks a potion of healing, restoring 6 hit points.

A steam mephit attacks Robin with claws. It misses.
A steam mephit attacks Robin with claws, dealing 2 + 1(heat) damage.

Sir Antheus lays hands upon himself, restoring 10 hit points.
Bufo strikes a pillar with a sling bullet, dealing 5 damage.
Robin fires a sheaf arrow at a steam mephit. He misses.

Malthazar attacks Sir Antheus with claws. It misses.
Malthazar attacks Sir Antheus with claws. It misses.

A steam mephit uses boiling rainstorm on the party.
Antheus is hit, dealing 5 damage.
Rambulge is hit, dealing 4 damage.
Bufo is hit, dealing 3 damage.

A steam mephit attacks Antheus with claws, dealing 2 + 1(heat) damage.

Bari casts hold person on Malthazar and a steam mephit. 200 EXP GAINED

The remaining imps, one wounded through the gut, the other unharmed and keen to remain that way, screeched their defiance and fled into whatever realm they had come from, leaving splashes of boiling water as the only sign of their passing. The other three creatures stayed where they lay, two immobilised by Bari, the other by the magic pillars that throbbed with power. The party had won the battle, but at a great cost in pain and suffering. Bufo slumped down, staring at his ruined hands in horror. Rambulge went down on one knee in the hot puddles of water, pain and weariness threatening to overcome him. Robin's cheek throbbed where the claws had raked him. Noone had walked away from this battle unscathed.

Sir Antheus raised his sword aloft and brought it crashing down once, twice, again upon the urn that stood near him. His sword shattered the container, sending green fluid gushing and running down the sides of the pillar. Over the room, the urn that Bufo had punctured trickled the last of the fluid, and the waves of power ceased. The last pillar remained active, but without sufficient power to hold the heroes fast. The sensation was like wading through a strong tide. As the power receded, the wounded imp struggled to get upright, it's eyes glaring balefully at the hero, steam and water bubbling at it's lips...

Spoiler: QUEST NOTES
The hold person spell will stay active for 10 minutes, during which time Malthazar and the other steam mephit are completely immobilised and at the mercy of the party... Bari may choose to let them go if he wishes, though they probably won't show due gratitude (by the way, the hold person spell can potentially effect up to 4 humanoid creatures).

The party may now move through the room, the spell is too weak to hold them in place.

The party's hitpoints are:

HP
ANT: 12/45
BUF: 2/11
ROB: 9/30
RAM: 3/14
BAR: 12/24

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:09 am

Seu walked to Malthazar :
"Good actions ask for no explanations, evil doing allows none..." Seu raised the tip of his sword to the creature's throat, his grip firm as his resolve " mercy is not mine to give...you should have implored the Lady..."
When the sword fell on the creature's head, Seu felt no remorse, just the impression that sometimes, doing the right thing could be painful... pain was just the Lady's gift to show good men their actions have consequences.
"I thank thee my Lady..." he whispered.

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Robin lent against the door frame, the pain from his wounds filling his body and his bow held loose in his hand. Seeing Seu finish off one of the creatures, Robin gathered himself together, walking over to the first creature that he had shot and trapped on the floor, Robin pulled his hunting knife and cut the creatures throat.

None of the party were in a good state. There was no way for the moment that they could continue. "Rest," Robin stated. "Before we go any further, we need to heal and rest. Bari, Seu how much more healing do you think you can perform today? Rambulge and Bufo certainly need it before the rest of us but no-one can continue as we are at the moment."

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:06 pm

I have not used all the power vested in me by the lady; I can heal Rambulge to a reasonable state but not entirely without rest...

Spoiler: note to all
I have 5 HP left with the laying of hands, they will go to Rambulge who is in pretty bad shape, god that was a brief but violent fight !

Seu moved to Rambulge' side and laid his hand on his companion's shoulder, closing his eyes to direct the force of the Lady to the spell-sword's life energy.

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:32 pm

The Blessed Lady, The Four Winds, Jordann...Rambulge gave his thanks to all after Seu Antheus' healing hands brought him back from searing, steamy agony once again.

He professed his gratitude to the noble Paladin and his companions- he had walked a fine line between death and the living several times these past few days!

On his knees, the spell sword undid his drawstring and reefed his pants down slightly, and along with a gush of water out hopped his familiar- Lemmy the toad.

Rambulge gasped in relief as he saw Lemmy had sustained no damage in the encounter!
R.I.P. Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus

My blog http://leadoralivebruno.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/enter-bruno.html

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:04 pm

Bari leaned up against the doorpost, letting out a deep breath. He'd have struggled to keep up with the action this day was bringing even if he'd had a good nights rest and a solid breakfast, let alone having started his day almost dead in a store room, surrounded by goblins.

He kissed the tiger's claw hanging around his neck, the symbol of his order and a sign of his loyalty to Jordann. "Thanks, baby!" he whispered. "I sure owe you one!" His genitals tingled as he felt Jordann's blessing pass over him.

"Now I don't know much about this divine cheese or the unusual manner in which constituents are harvested, but I can't help feeling Jordann wants it back as much as the rest of you. But we have got to set one thing straight! I am a practitioner of luurve. You hear me? Luurve. And luurve means asking questions first and chopping shit up later! All I'm sayin' is, we coulda asked those things where the mouse was before we killed their sorry asses..."

"Anyhow, Ranger Robin here is right. We ain't in no shape to continue after that. Fortunately, Jordann seems to like you crazy cats, so she will grant you good health and vigour. Do not panic, my friends, for I shall lay my hands on your and we will share in a man-hug so rich and fulfilling you will never be the same again! C'mere, Bufo - you first!"

Spoiler: Bari's Actions
Bari has 4 Cure Light Wounds spells available. I'm thinking:

1 -> Bufo
1 -> Robin
1 -> Seu

I'll keep the 4th in case there were any duff rolls on the first 3. If they're all good, I'd suggest the 4th go to Seu, as proportionately speaking, he will be the next weakest after Bufo and Rambulge are healed up.

I've not focussed on Rambulge as Seu is healing him to a suitable level. Let me know if that doesn't suit, Rambulge!
Regards,
Gaj

Always interested in contacting any gamers interested in Warhammer Fantasy 3rd Edition!
Also interested in any old 80's Citadel figures you may want to get rid of.

http://warhammerforadults.blogspot.com

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:44 am

Spoiler: QUEST NOTES
Bari casts cure light wounds x 3
ANT 17/45
BUF 9/11
ROB 16/30

Bufo felt better after the 'attentions' of Bari. His hands had healed nicely in a few short moments, but the memory of those horrible burns and the way his skin had hung in rags would likely never leave him.
He watched morosely as the others finished off the vile steam imps; they walked haltingly through the room as the power of the remaining pillar tugged at their feet with every step.

A thought was nagging at the halfling. "Guys, that mouse said he was leaving soon for another dimension. Since it's only been a few minutes, we might be able to catch him if we hurry? I mean, if you're all up to it I guess...?"

The party looked terrible. Seu looked weary and on his last legs. Robin was pale, and insisting on rest and recuperation. The wound on his face had closed up, but he was far from healed, and Rambulge was literally pooping frogs at this point.

"Or we could rest, I guess..." the halfling trailed off.
Last edited by Captain Crooks on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:22 am

Seu walked to the last urn and hit it to end the power filed which made them weigh like stone.

"Bari, you...you are...you are right, the thing is though if you had released him from your spell, he would have very unlikely be cooperative... I believe none of us could have withstood another steam attack, I believe we're better late than dead"

Spoiler: Seu's inner thought
I actually first wanted to let him speak before but that meant to release him from Bari's spell, considering the very poor condition we were all in, I edited my post back to just finish him off. Seu has been a lonesome character for quite some time but he will definitely learn about teamwork ;)

Looking at his companions, Seu suddenly lowered his eyes, he had acted on impulse like many times before and though it had helped him in some occasions, he knew it had been a nuisance in many more...
"Waldemar has the gem we are looking for, we can't let the occasion to catch him go. Bufo, would you scout the path ahead to see if the ratman is still here and what he is up to? You can work your way in the shadows better than anyone and will back you up. Don't try anything too daring though"

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:50 am

Bufo sighed. "Alright, I'll take a look, but first you big strong fellas need to remove this door-" the halfling gave it a kick for good measure.
PreviousNext

Return to Remote Gaming