D&D ADVENTURE! THE TEMPLE OF PIETER ONNE-DRAY

All the previous healing potions were either used or in the possession of Bufo (i spent hours today going back over all the quests because apparently I don't work very hard for a living ;) ). These three you found are all you have currently.

The silent portal spell will allow you a quiet entry to the next room but you will still be visible.

Bari is good to go... mostly ;)

Smite Evil works the same as it did before - your nominated target must strike only you or take damage. You must also attempt to fight the target.

There are enough pieces of plate mail to make one full undamaged suit. Bari could wear it, or Rambulge if he decides to forego using magic.

Yngwie smiled thankfully at the paladin. "You're right. There will be a great song in all this once we're done purging the evil that dwells here. From now on, it's for the cause of good, and not revenge and brutality that will guide my actioAAAAAAH!!!"

Yngwie's scream was directed at the sight of one of the bigger snake babies, an ugly two-headed thing, suddenly coiling around his leg. Jumping to his feet, he batted the thing with his guitar, sending it hurtling into one of the oil vats on the other side of the room. It landed with a thick plop, then, after a bit of thrashing, fell out the side and landed in a globby mess on the floor. Several other infants tried to pounce on it but their attempts were humorously thwarted by the slick oil that covered it - Bari giggled stupidly at the sight.

"I guess i still need to work on the brutality part," muttered the elf...

Rambulge pocketed one of the healing potions, and screwed his face up in distaste at the spectacle provided by the snake babies.
He was readying himself for some furious magic missile casting...

Asslessman

Seu removed a piece of bloody baby snake pulp on his cheek with the back of his glove "humph, ever considered playing drums instead of guitar? that could help, you know ? But listen, when you get this song written I'll sing it for you alright ? "

After a quick inspection of the armour pieces they had gathered, Seu turned to the caramel cleric

" Bari, brother, what would you think about me making you an armour set from these, it could definitely help you getting less unwanted bites from hostile creatures. It is not only added protection but it also helps you get a better body condition because of the extra weight, at first you feel it like a burden but then you realise the body of a man is meant to bear such a weight, the muscular growth and strengthening can really be a source of... Bari?"

The cleric was looking at...nothing, his eyes were empty. Seu was about to slap him again and remembered his previous mistake so he just clapped his hands instead

"Wow Bari ! here you are. Alright so where was I ? Yo uknow what? wear that, ladies looooove men in armour and you would look gorgeous in it. It might even save you from a couple of injuries."

- Bari is to sing a little prayer first like he proposed, it seems a good idea since it worked well in the past.
- does Yngwie have any ability to buff us up or no ? if yes, let him help us (he can at least play something appropriate)
- Eggbert can cast silent portal on the door to give us a potential bonus (even though the mongoose must have ruined that in advance
- eggbert can make Robin invisible so that he can enter the room unheard and unseen and so that he can spot any unknown danger and why not stay as a backup if the fight is not shapig well

- if things are OK , I'll enter first with Rambulge close (so he can benefit from my aura and I can serve as a shield until he throws his worst energy sauce at the ennemy)
- Obviously any malus Bari and Eggbert can give to the ennemy is good to have.

Bari, I'm proposing the armour because it's what real men wear but if you will keep your potato sack, so be it ;)

To sum up, main idea is RObin in the shadows to take any opportunity,
Rambulge and Seu in the front with Yngwie as backup

Bari and Eggbert as support from behind, guard Hisston and see some guards are not coming from the rear...

This plan won't survive to battle I fear

EDIT : Oh and I forgot about that but I'm pretty sure the snakemother being a leader and all must have a range of annoying spells or something to summon things, boost things, make our life a hell,
I clearly don't want to live the steam demon episode again or see her heal herself with a good ol' spell or something...

Casting a big SILENCE on her would be a very very safe thing to do, even if she does not have magical powers, at least she shouldn't be able to scream for help... Jus' sayin'

EDIT 2 : Oh and getting the Queen's counsel AND Rambulge's charisma bonus book to anyone with the highest charisma could help us playing it like Jake Blues in fornt of Carrie Fisher if you see what I mean...

Penddraig

Robin cleaned his knife and returned it the sheath before picking up his bow and checking the string.

He listened to the conversation from his companions. "I can try to hide in the shadows but snakes have senses beyond the ordinary, I don't think I would stay hidden for long once she was awake. Perhaps our gnome friend might find a better use of his spells. I agree that when we do strike, we will need to do so quickly, fiercely and aggressively. Perhaps we need to find a way to block reinforcements from entering her chamber? Any blessing that people can give would be beneficial and yes Bari, you look very manly in that plate armour..."

all sounds like an idea in terms of the spells. Robin will try to hide in the shadows and provide some long range fire support unless the fight goes really badly,

Hisston had been silent since his verbal and rectal outburst. His look had been pensive, but now his ugly features twisted into grave concern. His tongue darted out of his mouth repeatedly. Then he spoke.
"Gnome, are you still there? Can you taste that smell?"

The only smell Eggbert could taste was fresh snakeshit.

"We are going to have company soon," the snakeman continued, "very soon. The ranger is right, we need to block the way behind us somehow, or you will be overcome." He pressed his blindfolded head against the stone wall, feeling the vibrations. "I recommend haste!"

Hisston estimates you have around 3 mins to find a way to block the spawning room before you have...company. Bad company.

Here is a link back to Bari's entrance to the room for a description of its contents: viewtopic.php?p=41308#p41308

I'll make a map of this room and the next one today with the kids at work (it's raining today :s ), but I'm not going to give away too many more hints, except to tell you what i told JB: reread my last few posts carefully.

Eggbert had enjoyed the mongoose antics, in spite of the general lack of aprobation for said conjuration. Whilst he was pondering this he looked around the room idly.

Hmm

barrels.... oil... torches.... cages....

All this was very suggestive. A fiendish trap could be made given some time. Buteverything always seemed to happen in a hurry these days he gave it no more thought. He grabbed a potion of extra healing and borrowed Bufos magic pants (you never know), and waited for his tall companions to decide on their next move.

Just to be clear, nothing currently listed under Bufo's name is available right now, including his sweet pants.

Rambulge and Eggbert now have two of the three available healing potions.

Asslessman

"We need to put those barrels in front of the door to block the entrance. We'll leave a trail of oil so we can ignite the barrels if intruders ... well, I guess WE are the intruders... I mean villains try to enter and take us from behind.
I would also open all cages to free teh creatures in it and add the empty cages on top of the barrel to add some mess to the entrance."

Seu is doing just that, let's not find out if we have 3 minutes or slightly less...
Seu is placing one of the Snakeman weapons through the lock if he can work a way to block it, then he'll roll the barrels in front of the door standing up to cover all the entrance and will add the empty cages above.
He will leave a good thick oil line from the entrance to the other side to ignite the barrels at the entrance semi-remotely if needs be.

I've reread the posts but I haven't been able to find anything really, I knew the list of items was not purposeless with the half hidden wink but apart from the Queen's counsel which could be of help, the warhammer which could be used by Yngwie (Can he use it Captain ?) or identifying the Snakemen's goods...

Maybe ensuring oursleves the Snakemother is still asleep is mandatory, if she ate what she did, she must be quite like an alien queen... so we either need a flamer or to get her while she sleeps.

If I was sure the oil of slipeeryness could work on her (ie meaning it can't move) I would have thrown that at her and then a barrel of that thick oil to set her on fire...

I'm hoping you guys have spotted something else or thought about something cleverer :?

The Oil of Slipperiness won't immobilise the snakemother, but it might have another effect...

Seu frantically slid a khopesh into the handles of the double door in an attempt to secure it. He then dashed back to the barrels in the corner and attempted to shift the topmost ones in order to roll one back across the room to the door. The barrel creaked, rocking forwards and backwards, and then came down with a crunch as old, mouldering timber gave way slightly under the pressure of the heavy contents. Thick runnels of oil start leaking out onto the already oily floor. As the paladin rolled the barrel slowly along, trailing oil the whole way, he began to realize that they would never be able to block the whole doorway in time...

Asslessman

"Think Seu, THINK"

Seu decided to leave the barrels he could get to the door epmptying themselves in front of it, keeping the opporunity to raise a wall of fire at the entrance. The oil spreading as it were, the firewall should prevent any intrusion... for a time...hopefully. But then... were'nt they heading to an even greater danger ?

Oh right so the oil is not making the Snakemother slip awkwardly and uneffectively on the floor, good. Well we can still throw it at her and hope she's grateful we moisturised her skin and made it slippery.

If she proves ungreateful, we may be tempted to set her on fire (yes AGAIN !) hoping the oil CAN be ignited and is in sufficient quantity to do more than burn her nose hair (she probably doesn't even have any)

In the end, it may not make her unable to move or make her burn but maybe she will struggle to keep her balance which might be just the sort of help we need or can take at least...

or, or, or...

We can combine the "Grease" effect of the oil with the lightnings of Rambulge, wink wink, grease lightning anyone? nudge nudge

Rambulge watched the Paladin go about his work, and as the oil spilled out and pooled on the floor he had an idea.
"That's it, we need to oil each other up!" he blurted out excitedly.
Being crushed in the Yuan Ti's coils was an all too recent memory, it might just be a long shot but to Rambulge's thinking if they were all nice and oiled up they would slip out of the broodmother's clutches!

Asslessman

"Are you out of your mind Rambulge ?
or are you just ignoring the consequences of doing that just to fulfill Lady knows what silly goal ?

Yes oiling us all good be handy and could probably enable us to glide on our bellies past the snakemother, I have thought about it, but come on !

(bending to Rambulge and whispering) you've seen Bari's cleansing ritual? you seen this place and its mosaics ? You ever seen an oiled gladiator before? Trust me, last thing we want is to be oiled, plus we don't have time for that. I don't want bari to come up with some crazy idea again...

(raising his voice ) NO Rambulge ! I don't think this is a good idea, it might become hazardous in the vicinity of a flame source (wink to Rambulge)"

Yngwie jumped to his feet, his morose feelings forgotten in the urgency. "Let me help you with those barrels Seu!" the elf put his back to one of the heavy oil receptacles and pushed it slowly along, leaking more oil over the already slick floor. The ground was getting almost too slippery to gain enough traction to push properly, and the fumes were starting to make him a bit light headed.

Hisston was fidgeting against his restrains, frustrated by the blindfold, and starting to get uncomfortable in his soiled garment. "Sss, I could be of much better sservice to you all if you unbind me..." the creature hissed, not really expecting anyone to take notice or care. He could feel the approach of at least a dozen snakemen warriors - their unmistakable sliding movement over rough stone, the taste of cold steel a tang in the air, the heat of their anger at odds with the coldness of their blood. They were coming...

Here is a basic map of the room you are all currently in. You have mere moments before company arrives. The floor is now covered in smelly oil. I advise you all to give me your actions/positions/last regrets ASAP.

Seu, do you still wish to open all the animal cages?

Rambulge, are you still planning to get all oiled up? You have a choice between the oil on the floor/in the barrels, or you can ask Bari nicely for some Oil of Slipperiness; the bottle contains enough to coat 3 human sized creatures and will make you very, very slippery.

Asslessman

"It all comes down to a leap of faith then"

unless we can hide in the pools and let the guards roast in the room I advise we just

- Cast silent portal on the door and invisible on Robin (unless it's pointelss as he seemed to point if I understood right)
- BUff oursleves up like pigs with prayers
- get in and throw the oil of slipperyness at the SMILK and liberate Hisston just before entering
- throw some fire, magic attacks, flaming sword thrusts and everything we can at it
- hope we can kill it
- hope the others don't come in

with RObin, Rambulge and myslef trying to deal as much damage as possible

with someone keeping an eye on Hisston and some other keeping an eye on the door so that as sson as th eothers enter th echamber, the soil is set on fire and the doors are closed shut.

That's my Starightforward/blunt/paladin/excelsior/fight to the death approach of it now

happy to consider any other really :grin:

Rambulge went from feeling very smart to extremely foolish in an instant, he passed wind as he fought the urge to panic.
Seu was right, his oil idea would end in human torches, and he shuddered at the Paladin's mention of Bari's "rituals".

"Uhhh...maybe we go see this Snakemother, torch this room and kill her dead? I'm not sure I want to face what's coming, maybe they will lose their nerve with their mother slain? "

He felt a pang as he said the word mother...

Asslessman

"One last thing though..."

Seu decided he could not look away from the pen with the babies inside, it would take fistful of seconds but h ehad to make sure these were not real human babies and if there was not trace of evil in them. If innocents were caught or harmed because of his denial of the truth, he would not be worth much as a paladin...

weazil

Bari lowered his head and raised his hands, praying over the group.

"Hey Baby," he murmered, his voice a rich molasses. "Me and the boys sure need some help right now. We have clowns to the left of us and jokers to the right. And here we are, stuck in the middle. With you. With your guidance and blessing, we can bring luurve to this dark place again." Bari's voice rose in power, as he began to gesticulate. "Passionate fire can cleanse these dry halls, fuelled by our fervent desires - for justice, peace and luurve. Won't you extend your hand and touch us in that special place you do? Make us stand firm - firmer than we've ever been before, bolstered by our unbending rod of justice. There will be some tough luurve - we know that. We are ready to be upstanding and outstanding in our quest against your enemies - hate, injustice and general meanness. May it be our enemies fall at our feet, looking up in wonder and envy at our hardiness. Your holy hardiness. Bless us, sweetness."

Bari punched his fist in the air and cried the word of authority that committed the prayer to Jordann's soft, sweet ears: "Booyah!"

Bari casts Prayer

Also, Bari will clamp on some of the plate mail available. I think arms and bits of the legs. Think cool fantasy armour for a large bare chested man with a sack. Happy with whatever armour class that brings...:)

Bari has the HEat Metal spell available. Perhaps we could use this on the door handles of the door? Or, the hot metal can be used to ignite wood (say, a wooden barrel full of oil with metal bindings - but it takes a few rounds to actually start, so it could be used to create some sort of delayed fuse? Anyone think that's useful?

Asslessman

Seu saw Bari equiping and he couldn't refrain a tear, a true man doesn't have to protect his heart... the cleric was right, his right is the strongest thing a man of good has (thoughth ecleric seemed as strongly equiped a th ebottome of the sack)

Heat metal, why not, yeah, if I leave the whining engineer in me who thinks hot metal is not enough to ignite a barrel of oil that could be a good idea, would it work on the group of guards for instance, forcing them to drop their armour and weapons or making them take damage from it ?

And though it's a little late, there's the baby issue... If they are real cute human babie I don't see no other option but to bring them al lin the Snakemother room, put them in a corner, have some intercourse with said mother and then see what happens.

weazil

Bari winced as the armour pinched in places, but he had to admit - there was something, well, cool ,about the whole thing. He flexed his muscles, posing with his new metal casing to check himself out. "I wonder if it's time for a loincloth?" he mumbled aloud. "Hmmm..."

I'm with you in that I think it would take an awful long time for the metal to set the oil off, but it says it can do this in the spell description - clearly the advantage of divinely powered heat sources.

As for doing the spell to enemies, I can affect two humanoids at my level (as I understand the spell description).

Asslessman

YES a big YES ! definitely a loincloth ! Damn I might feel the need to make a model for Bari now...

Timing is essential, let the fuse ignite the oil too late, we'll just have to shake hands and start a new game, if it's too soon, well it might forbid passage to intruders but there's a time when the fire will stop to burn and if we're still in th emiddle of the fight, that's back to square one too.

Being able to ignite the oil just when ALL the guards are in the room will assure they all get damage and that we get the best from the fire in the room. add that to the time bought by the locked door (likely to be very limited).

God I just don't get how we managed to kill a demon princess without breaking a sweat and how we are helpless against a bunch of baby snakes and a giant snake mum

Back