1980's Nostalgia...

This is a forum for all new members. Please post an introduction and tell us about yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:45 am

1980's Nostalgia...

Hello,
I'm James Barnes and I live in Kibogaoka, Niigata, Japan. I've loved collecting miniatures since about 1981. I first got into Citadel miniatures in 1984-ish when the 25mm FASA Doctor Who figs came out and in 1986 when a local comics and games shop began stocking GW products I really got involved. When I saw Rogue Trader on the shelf at the shop I was attracted to the idea of Space Marines because of repeated viewings of Space Battleship Yamato. I bought Rogue Trader immediately and playing it became my primary passtime. The first Citadel 40K figures hooked me into collecting more GW games and figures and led to wargaming avidly in many varied settings over the years. Within a few years I had an enormous collection of citadel figures and around 1995 ironically ended up working at the shop that had sold me Rogue Trader.
Unfortunately around 2005 a visitor to my home heartbreakingly absconded with my entire Citadel Warhammer 40K collection and because he mainly talked about his obsession with auction sites I believe he sold them on ebay. In 2010 I moved to Japan. As I have finally been able to move into a Japanese house (as opposed to micro apartment) and now again have room for a large wargames table, I have been interested in re-acquiring some of my most favorite nostalgic old Citadel figs in order to repurpose them into my 28mm Blake's 7 game which I have been developing for the past few years. I am investing many hours a day in writing, playtesting, and refining my Blake's 7 wargame into something along the lines of a Rogue Trader-style rulebook for the Blake's 7 universe.
I'm happy to see there are fans of the old stuff out there. Many manufacturers today stock figs that in my opinion lack imagination and are primarily marketing ventures or reactions to trends. If you look at some of the early Citadel SF figs, you can feel that 1980's vision of an SF future just radiating off of them. You can feel the enthusiasm of the sculptor for what he was creating! So aside from the fact that the're hugely nostalgic, they are also highly imaginative sculpts! The textures are just fabulous will all sorts of little wires and corrugated tubes running all over the fig alongside data pads covered in buttons, many varied sidearms, vents, and assorted pouches... The faces have lots of character. The poses are splendid too, and I have always liked the way "Oldhammer" figs will many times have the look of slogging or trudging through battle as if shrugging off incoming fire. Others have this low center of gravity which just makes them look all the more capable and dangerous. You couldn't ask for better sculpts. I love 'em. :)

Post Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:33 am

Re: 1980's Nostalgia...

Welcome to the madness which is the Forum.

Paul / Golgfag1
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:23 am

Golgfag1 wrote:Welcome to the madness which is the Forum.

Paul / Golgfag1

Thank you kindly, sir! :)

Post Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:45 pm

welcome mate and thanks for sending me the message as I haven't visited here for quite a while now and it has given me the excuse to catch up what's been happening.

I would be interested in playing RT as I never got into it when I started out in the hobby and my preferences were always leaned towards fantasy battles.

Currently collecting orks :)

Post Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:00 pm

Tanath wrote:welcome mate and thanks for sending me the message as I haven't visited here for quite a while now and it has given me the excuse to catch up what's been happening.

I would be interested in playing RT as I never got into it when I started out in the hobby and my preferences were always leaned towards fantasy battles.

Currently collecting orks :)

Thanks for welcoming me, I appreciate it!
Gosh I haven't actually played Rogue Trader or 40K at all since about 1993. It's been even longer since I played WFB! I have always leaned more toward SF and only picked up WFB figs when they crossed over into 40K, such as with Chaos Demons. Around 1988 I played Advanced Heroquest and had a bunch of fantasy figs for that but I can't say I've ever done anything more than a little skirmish with WFB. The reason for this is fire and movement; I found that naval and space combat games are a bore because there's no cover (they are mostly "fire") and to me fantasy games are kind of lacklustre because the basic soldier usually has only hand weapons and these are assembled into ranks (they are mainly "movement"). I have indeed tried both types of games but I feel the perfect happy medium is present in games where the basic trooper has some sort of firearm and there are lots of terrain features present to give cover. That is my definition of EXCITING! :D
These days I'm generally playtesting my home brew Blake's 7 28mm combat rules and that's it.
As far as collecting figs, I'm currently trying to get hold of some nostalgic figures I had in my teenage years but have since lost, including 40K Chaos renegades from the early 1990's and some generic SF types.
Thanks again! :)
- James

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:04 pm

^The Blake's Seven business sounds like fun. Honestly, cinematic skirmish games seem to be where it's at right now. Lots of story potential. Good, lighthearted fun. Anyway, I look forward to seeing your collection as you rebuild it. Welcome aboard! :)

Return to Introductions