Too long in the tooth?

This is a forum for all new members. Please post an introduction and tell us about yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Too long in the tooth?

Hi all. I'm Tony.

I used to play Warhammer Fantasy but gave up just prior to 3rd Edition making it's appearance on the shop shelves due to mates drifting off into other things (marriage).Over the years I have popped my head up and took a look at what has been going on in the Warhammer world but never really with the intention of doing anything with the hobby again. It has just been curiosity. Over the last few months I have had a strong urge to pick up a paintbrush and continue where I originally left off. Happily brought into the Age of Sigmar game. The figures are nice but I really did not feel anything for them when I was painting and the game play seemed a little bit thin.

I found a few old early 1980's White Dwarf mags in a charity shop and looking through them brought back so many memories. As you can guess I walked out with them under my arm. I am not sure if its just nostalgia but I found I really felt for those old lumps of lead. Painting an old Venom Dragon and a couple of old style Rat Scum miniatures was certainly more enjoyable then painting modern resin or plastic. There is also something about the look of a vintage model I just cannot put my finger on that many modern plastics and resins seem to be missing.

My first love when I was young was the Humble dragon. Funny thing is I have the urge to start to collect them once again . It's been along time adrift in the real world, now it's time to indulge myself with fantasy again.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Re: Too long in the tooth?

Welcome to the Forum, I hope you find what you're looking for.

Paul/Golgfag1
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:14 am

Hello, and welcome. Don't worry about being too long in the tooth - I've been playing since first edition WFB, which we used for wargames and for roleplaying games and for combinations of the two. I believe there are some very, very, very (you get the idea) long in the tooth people here.

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:06 am

First edition here too. I migrated over from D&D within a few months of first edition appearing on the shops shelves.I expect many people came from the same background. The gaming scene did not seem so fractured back then and it was easy to find Warhammer players. These days it's impossible to find anybody who will admit to playing anything.

Most of the people I do meet and talk to were not even around when I gave up playing.

It becomes a little bit of a problem when I forget myself and ask the shop attendant if they have a pot of goblin green or chaos black in stock.

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:14 pm

Welcome to the Forum!
Stuart Templeton - 1st Edition Space Hulk Fanatic!

I may not be good but I'm slow!

Return to Introductions