Hello!

This is a forum for all new members. Please post an introduction and tell us about yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Hello!

Hi, everybody. I'm Spookyhappyfun. I found my way here from Ye Olde Inn.

I'm a fan of HeroQuest from years back and re-acquired the game recently which has led to lots of research and gotten me interested in Oldhammer. Though i was never into Warhammer back in the day, I'm finding that I love the Oldhammer style and I'm interested in learning more and hopefully starting to get more Oldhammer-style minis.

Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Hello!

Welcome. Good to hear that good taste is not dead :D

Jokes aside, hope you enjoy it here and that you've got something to share with us in time.
"We attack at dawn. The plan is victory." - unknown

Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Gallivantes wrote:Welcome. Good to hear that good taste is not dead :D

Jokes aside, hope you enjoy it here and that you've got something to share with us in time.

Thanks! Currently I'm just working on expanding and completing my HQ collection to include all the Quest Packs, minis, and fan made stuff, then I'll probably branch out into stuff like classic Warhammer Quest if I can find a copy.

Post Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Welcome, spookyhappyfun; please do share pictures of your painted figures and games. :)

Post Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Welcome to the board! Lots of Heroquest love around here.
Last edited by ardyer on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donator

Post Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:46 pm

:D :D :D

Welcome! Great to have another member from the New World! There is starting to be quite a large group of us in the Eastern US. Glad to add you to that number.

Cheers,

Blue
3rd Edition will rise AGAIN!!!!
My Painting collecting...and sometimes gaming Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Post Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks, everybody!

I'm actually not a painter at all. I haven't yet painted any of my minis (though all I have so far are just HeroQuest ones and others bought specifically for HeroQuest). I might give it a go someday, but I know I'll never be as good as some of the amazing artists I see out here on the old internets which makes me a bit reluctant to even try.

Post Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:12 pm

spookyhappyfun wrote: I know I'll never be as good as some of the amazing artists I see out here on the old internets which makes me a bit reluctant to even try.

If that's holding you back my advice would be : don't worry :) seriously, let go of that thought entirely because it's not doing anybody any good.

The thing is, there will always be someone who paints better, even those "amazing artists" have people they look up to in awe. But they don't hang up their paintbrush because of that. They find inspiration in the works of others and new heights to aspire to and thankfully so because that's how they reach the amazing levels eventually. No-one is amazing at it the first time, practise is what makes you good and most people are rather crap at it when they first start, even the amazing ones :)

The internet can be a tough environment where people can be quite blunt but I have found from the getgo that this forum is a place blissfully free from that. People focus on the positives here and there is none of the whining and trash talking that's so abundant elsewhere (thank you all). Feedback is kept constructive and polite and that can be a great help if you're just starting out. Ask and ye shall receive, as people are usually keen on sharing their expertise too. If you try it out maybe you'll be surprisingly good at with just a little research and practise.

Here's a super quick guide if you are bewildered about the prospect:
Some basic prep involves cleaning flash, more advanced prep involves glueing, drilling/pinning, filling seams. Prime typically white/grey/black
Learn how to base coat, use dry brushing, washing and glazing. Proceed with layered highlights and wet blending to advance if you like. Use a brush with a good point, thin paint (with water, to milky consistency) A wet palette helps. Strive to paint neatly.
Base the model using PVA glue and scatter material, free backyard sand and grit works fine. Add some static grass if you like.

There you go, four lines of text that will be more or less all you need to know to paint some great miniatures. Hope you feel tempted to try :)
"We attack at dawn. The plan is victory." - unknown

Return to Introductions