New Guy Here! Any tips?

This is a forum for all new members. Please post an introduction and tell us about yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:30 pm

New Guy Here! Any tips?

Hi folks. I've had an increasing interest in all things Oldhammer over the past few years and I've decided to take the plunge and dive head first into that old crazed world!

I've always loved the Warhammer IP and the more I dabble with it, the more I find myself leaning towards the older stuff as opposed to the newer stuff. I've never actually played Warhammer, but I've played Mordheim, Frostgrave and D&D. Most of all, I really love the personality and character and craziness of all the older Warhammer miniatures.

Does anyone have any tips to start an Oldhammer collection? As I'm more skirmish/RPG oriented, I'm not looking to build an army. I'm happy to get single miniatures. It's just a bit daunting going onto eBay without any really clear idea what I'm looking for.

To give you an idea what's struck my interest so far: pretty much anything Albion, the fimir, the old Chaos thugs, I recently discovered those brilliant McDeath miniatures, and I'm not sure what it's called - but there's a giant with a keg hanging on his hip, strapped over his shoulder. Whoever that giant is, he's a beauy!

Thanks for reading!

Post Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:40 pm

Re: New Guy Here! Any tips?

Welcome aboard.

Where to start? Well, it helps if you have a very clear idea of what you want. Trawl some websites to see what takes your fancy and knock up a wants list with photos.

http://solegends.com/index.htm
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

If you need inspiration, check out some of the fantastic Oldhammer blogs. Many are flagged up by the newsbot on here.

Avoid ebay, if you can, as many sellers there have a strange idea of what things are worth. I only tend to use it to fill very specific gaps these days and know that I’ll probably have to pay top end prices.

Some ideas to get your hands on the figures that you want. Post a wants list here or on Facebook. Have a rummage on the bring & buys at shows (if they ever take place again). Ditto for any local tabletop sale events.

Post Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:08 am

What Citizen Sade said, basically. I'd add that you can't go wrong by watching the showroom here or following some of the Facebook groups. If you spot something you particularly like it would rarely go amiss to ask what it is. And there's a surprisingly large and growing number of new miniatures that fit the Oldhammer bill: new fimir, new dwarves, new adventurers and civilians . . . Keep your eyes and ears open and enjoy what you see. :)

And if we ever get to game again in person, it's hard to beat seeing the stuff in the flesh. (Or metal, as the case may be.) I like to promote the Opponent Finder as a good tool to meet folks, though obviously your density of hammering varies from place to place and continent to continent.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

Post Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:38 pm

Where to start?

Now that's a good question.

I was an old timer at DnD, loved painting my first miniatures at aged 14 (I'm 49 now) but the thing that got me into it was just one single dwarf model.

He looked a little bit like a DnD character I made who was a troll slayer - based on a pencil drawing in a White Dwarf magazine. Little did I know the drawing was of Gotrek - that the miniature wasa a citadel Demon Slayer, and that 29 years later I would have a massive dwarf army.

Follow what you will, and dream your dreams, for now is the age that they may come true.

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:29 am

Enkmar wrote:... I've played Mordheim, Frostgrave and D&D. Most of all, I really love the personality and character and craziness of all the older Warhammer miniatures.

Another thought. How about playing Oldheim i.e. Mordheim using Oldhammer figures? That should tick your skirmish/RPG and figure preferences.

My group are big fans and use the Mordheim rules for all sorts of games both in the Warhammer world and elsewhere. With the Mordheim rulebook, annual and Empire in Flames supplement there are plenty of options for fantasy games, races, monsters. Add in some fan-based settings, if you want or need more.

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:16 am

To give you an idea what's struck my interest so far: pretty much anything Albion, the fimir, the old Chaos thugs, I recently discovered those brilliant McDeath miniatures, and I'm not sure what it's called - but there's a giant with a keg hanging on his hip, strapped over his shoulder. Whoever that giant is, he's a beauy!

Jump straight in - buy something you like (either here, the Facebook group or on evilBay) and pant it up. The thugs are probably the most reasonably priced of the things you've mentioned. Even if you later decide that they aren't for you you can trade for something else at. One thing to note is the difference in scale between a figure for 1987 and today - if you used to painting primaris or similar then you might be in for a shock!

Return to Introductions