Of Orcs, soap and the hardships of war

Sprinkles

Hi again, i've only gone and played another game!. Kings of War this time as a force of men fight a desperate last stand against a horde of wild Orc!. The prologue can he read by clicking here http://wronghammer.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/of-orcs-soap-and-hardships-of-war.html and if thats not enough to put you off you can read what happened on the table here http://wronghammer.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/of-orcs-soap-and-hardships-of-war-aar.html.

Kings of War, plastic minis and not a drop of paint in sight, Oldhammer?. ;)

Attachments

• 20170218_213946.jpg
    20170218_213946.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 3,313

Gallivantes

Coronel_Oneill":g3g6i940 said:
Not painting the miniatures is Oldhammer? :shock: I cant see a thing Oldhammer in plastics and KoW, sorry ... :oops:
Narrative, social contract and letting fun be more important than slavic adherence to any ruleset or indeed rules at all I hear often lauded as core tenets of Oldhammering. Plenty of that in Sprinkles' post.

I saw your warband thread. You have some nicely painted vintage citadel minis! I also noticed you have some post 3rd edition ones, some that aren't citadel and are using the warband to play Frostgrave. How do you define Oldhammering yourself? I can't make it out from your posts.

Sprinkles

Woooooh there!. That last line (under the photo) was a bit of a tounge in cheek dig at myself because i get that my way of doing this stuff is not what everyone would consider the 'norm'. We all have differing opinions of what oldhammering is and it has been discussed qiuite a bit in the past but at the end of the day we are all grown ups playing toy solders!. As far as rule sets go i think fantasy is having a bit of a silver age at the mo with lots of cool games coming along (KoW, Frostgrave and all those rampant dragons about the place!), its only right and proper that we give them a spin.

I think it's inspiring to see games being played with these (I presume) relatively cheap plastic figures and all the almost free terrain and movement trays.

I am such a slow painter. So something like this would be a nice opportunity for me actually play some games, without having to wait until all my metal figures are painted up.

Sprinkles

Thanks thats really nice of you say. This scale of mini, 'minimalist' painting style and bodged and improvised terrain is my preferred approach to gaming but it shows that it can be lot simpler to put a game together than the glossy photos in white dwarf would have you think!. If masses of painted minis and high quality terrain are your thing theres nothing wrong with using what you have to get a game on while working towards that!.

Back