40k Second Ed: Orks vs Space Marines 750 points

Orjetax

My space orks versus my pal's space marines. Each of our first 2nd Ed games in many, many years.

750 points seemed a good way to re-introduce that edition. 500 felt too small and more would have bogged us down too much.

I fielded a fairly top heavy Ork force with a tricked-out warboss who could only appropriately be represented by my Bob Olley Megabot - power fist, power sword (a/k/a power "hook"), cybork body, megarmor. I also took three ogryns with ripper guns, represented by my newly-painted space minotaurs from Diego's range. I also used a 5 man squad of Bad Moonz with two missile launchers, a 5 man Blood Axe squad with missile launcher, and a ten man Blood Axe squad with flamer (including nob with power fist).

My friend's army consisted of a dreadnaught with assault cannon, a squad of scouts with a heavy bolter, a devastator squad with heavy plasma gun and heavy bolter, and a fairly modest captain.

The arc of the game was straightforward - the Ork forces mostly ran forward, with the missile launcher squads staying stationary to shoot. The marines mostly stayed put, their sustained fire weapons tearing up the orks on their way in.

Only one turn saw the orks kill a single marine - but dang did they kill a bunch. One of the Bad Moonz with a missile launcher scored a penetrating hit to the dread's body, causing an explosion that destroyed the dread, every scout except the one with the heavy bolted, and took out the heavy plasma marine from the devastator squad.

The game ended at turn four with warboss and marine captain locked in combat for the second turn in a row and the warboss slightly wounded. A win for the marines in terms of VPs, but over a long enough time frame could have been an ork win . . . the captain was the only marine model left capable of dealing damage through the warboss's cybork body.

Tons of fun.

a11c31de369f92acfab3d4e9fa569d32.jpg

The table at the end of Ork turn 1.

fd55f46a0d695400d5aad1cb3399d361.jpg

Space Minotaurs drew a lot of fire on the way in, but neither they nor the large blood axe mob survived to come to grips with the enemy.

fdd37e2a41948907469a9e9d36b21bd6.jpg

The game at the end: warboss and captain locked in combat through two turns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 40k Second Ed: Orks vs Space Marines 750 points

I do love some good old 2nd Edition battle reports, especially featuring Orks. Fantastic minis especially that Ork Warboss :grin:

Orjetax

Iron Skeleton":4bt9qqdi said:
I do love some good old 2nd Edition battle reports, especially featuring Orks. Fantastic minis especially that Ork Warboss :grin:

Thank you! My megabot-as-warboss was one of the things I've painted most recently, so had to use it! Which meant I had to load him up with wargear to justify the model. Similarly, the space minotaurs were also recently finished so I definitely had to use them . . .

Some game play observations:
1. My Bad Moonz squad were necessarily my MVPs since they were the only ones to actually do damage. And all in one turn!

2. The marine MVP had to be the heavy Bolger scout, who survived a total of six missile launcher shots over three turns (all missed!) and killed enough of the Bad Moonz to force a break test and send them fleeing. His continual survival denied me crucial VPs.

3. Cybork body/megarmor was a fun combination. It meant the warboss was immune to most of the opposing army. But it created an oddity in combat with the power sword armed captain. A power sword normally causes one wound. But by virtue of the cybork body changing the way wounds are dealt to the model, the captain gained the ability to deal multiple wounds in a single turn by exceeding the cybork armor value of 15.

4. Sustained fire dice + some target models in cover and some out was a headache, and we're not sure we played it right. Will have to check.

Finally, I missed adding a photo here. The view from the back of Ork lines. This is the blood axe squad with ML. Essentially a non participant. Too far for bolters and remaining stationary so the ML could shoot, they never hit anything. Nor were they fired upon.

184111f011372c0b03b8ff93f1974748.jpg

Sprinkles

MINOTORS IN SPACEEE!!!!!!. Love the report, looks like alot of fun and those minotors are awesome!.

Orjetax

Sprinkles":2662bphb said:
MINOTORS IN SPACEEE!!!!!!. Love the report, looks like alot of fun and those minotors are awesome!.

Had a blast. Glad you like the look of the space minotaurs. Best part about them was how they looked on the table.

Because game-wise they didn't achieve much other than soaking up one turn of fire.

Suber

So monstruously cool! It all looks great on that board :)

nice work, i reckon the orks would have had it, given another turn.

Orjetax

40k Second Ed: Orks vs Space Marines 750 points

Thank you for your good comments, all.

It turns out our sustained fire play was in fact wrong (can't rely on that "Battle Bible" rules re: sustained fire, consult actual rule book on that one).

I especially like that final picture with the back line viewing the battlefield :)

Orjetax

Thank you both. Your comments are giving me the itch to schedule another game.

Orjetax

Legiocustodes":3n97uq2x said:
Really enjoyed this! Best read I've had all week!!!

Thanks. After a month and a half since our last game, we've now played a second - the results which I've posted in a new battle report thread.

Back