ADVANCED HERO QUEST: The First Expedition

One of my goals for 2017 is to teach myself to play Advanced Hero Quest.

I'll be playing solo and keeping track of my adventure here, updated periodically.

The characters are:

Sir Rohan. A wandering knight-for-hire from the Border Princes with a questionable lineage.
Ulv Grimhand. A barbarian from Norsca. He feels irritated by the increasing social pressure to worship Chaos in his homeland, so has travelled south in search of a better life.
El-Aldoran Sureshot. A ranger from Estalia.
Volrik the Brave. A so-called "adventurer" from Marienburg.

The unlikely band of "heroes" found themselves at a traveller's inn -- the Sleeping Dragon -- on the Old Dwarf Road that leads to Blackfire Pass. While searching for the lavatory after his -- well, actually, he's forgotten how many rounds they're at now, or indeed who is supposed to be paying for the next one -- Sir Rohan discovers a trapdoor that leads to a stone corridor beneath the inn! He can't resist the idea of seeing where it leads, so goes back to tell the others of his discovery. Inebriated as they are, it doesn't take much persuasion for the heroes to go "adventuring" into the cellar. After all, who knows what could be down there? They appoint Sir Rohan as their leader.

AHQ2.jpg

The heroes explore along the corridor until they come to a junction.

AHQ3.jpg

The passage to their right leads to another flight of stairs back into the tavern. Well, that's no use!

AHQ4.jpg

The passage to the left leads to another junction. Sir Rohan feels confident that is the way they should go.

AHQ5.jpg

In the darkness of the cellar, nothing stirs.

To be continued...

ardyer

Awesome! I love the aesthetics of advanced Heroquest but rarely got to play it. I can't wait to see more.

Following the corridor to the next junction, the party looked right and saw another short passage leading to yet another junction.

AHQ6.jpg

Then they looked left and saw a long passageway leading off into the darkness, with not one but TWO doors! The anticipation of what could be behind those doors was too strong to overcome. That was undoubtably the way which they would go.

AHQ7.jpg

The party assembled behind the door, weapons at the ready. You never know what you'll find behind a closed door, after all! Sir Rohan gently pushed it open.

AHQ8.jpg

Nothing. An empty room! Well, except for that bookcase. But none of these heroes care much for books. I'm not so sure any of them can actually read. They quickly left.

AHQ9.jpg

The party tried the next room. This one was completely bare, except for two doors.

AHQ10.jpg

Now which way should they go? Through one of the doors? Or should they leave and continue down the passageway?

YOU DECIDE!

Go West, where the air is clean.

I tried to solo play AHQ once, I generated and endless maze of empty corridors, I almost went mad in there I did! I wish your party better luck :grin:

:lol:

Well, I hope you think it's worth it. I've had this game sitting in my cupboard for a couple of years now. I never played it before as it seemed too complex at first glance, compared with basic Hero Quest and Warhammer Quest, but it's just because of the 80s-style rulebook. The mechanics are actually very simple.

But, yes, not a lot seems to be happening so far. I can see why they made Warhammer Quest to replace this.

Sir Rohan thought he heard a voice telling him to go "West". He wasn't too sure which way that was, but something told him he should try the door on the far side of the room. Beyond was another passageway.

AHQ11.jpg

Just then, Volrik felt a pressure-plate give way beneath his foot. Before he knew it, the party was engulfed by a fireball! :o

AHQ12.jpg

(Thanks to my five-year-old son for holding the fireball template over the party)

Volrik was badly burned. El-Adoran was mildly burned. Sir Rohan would have completely melted had it not been for the intervention of the gods, who miraculously protected him. Ulv was standing just far enough away to not be affected by the fire. The party quickly dashed through the doorway and into the passage.

AHQ13.jpg

The passage connected both doors of the room, they discovered, but continued "West" for a distance.

AHQ14.jpg

At the next junction, the passage left turned left again at the end.

AHQ15.jpg

The passage right also turned left, but behold -- a door!

AHQ16.jpg

The heroes opened the door and found an empty room with a grate in the middle of the floor. Where could this lead?!

AHQ17.jpg

They stood around the grate and decided that the only reasonable course of action was to open the grate and explore inside. As Volik the Brave was the so-called "adventurer" of the group, he was elected to go first.

AHQ18.jpg

Just then, a chunk of masonry fell from the ceiling and would have completely flattened Ulv Grimhand. But the gods thought to spare him and he got away unscathed.

AHQ19.jpg

Meanwhile, Volrik the Brave bravely descended through the grate. In the room below was a treasure chest, a weapon rack and a Champion of Chaos (unpainted, no less), who was none too happy to be intruded upon.

AHQ20.jpg

Volrik asked no questions but immediately struck the Champion with his sword, inflicting a wound. The Champion retaliated and the blow from his axe would have killed Volrik, had the gods not deigned to spare him.

AHQ21.jpg

Ulv, meanwhile, also climbed down into the room and struck the Champion with his axe, inflicting another wound. The Champion again hefted a mighty blow against Volrik, which also would have ended his life, but once again the gods spared him for reasons beyond the ken of mortals.

AHQ22.jpg

Then El-Aldoran climbed down into the room and, firing his longbow from over Volrik's shoulder, shot an arrow straight through the Champion's eyeslit. The metal-clad warrior fell to the ground dead. They don't call him "Sureshot" for nothing.

AHQ24.jpg

El-Aldoran looted the body of the Champion and found 80 gold crowns. He kept 40 for himself and handed 20 to Ulv and 20 to Volrik. He also found a Magic Ring (Speed +1) which he transferred to his own finger. El-Aldoran also found more arrows on the weapon-rack. Volrik opened the treasure chest at the back of the room and found 100 gold crowns, which he quickly pocketed before snapping the chest shut and telling his friends it was empty.

AHQ25.jpg

To be continued...

The heroes climbed out of the grate back into the room above, using Volrik's ten-foot rope.

Volrik mumbled something about needing to use the lavatory and that he'd meet the others back upstairs later, before quickly hurrying away with the gold he'd found in the treasure chest.

Rohan, Ulv and El-Adoran decided to continue exploring around the corner. If there were Chaos agents lurking under the tavern, they'd best find out what was going on here.

AHQ26.jpg

The passage ahead came to a dead end, but revealed a doorway! Aha!

AHQ27.jpg

The room was empty. CURSES!

AHQ28.jpg

The heroes wandered back down the passageway, intending to explore around the other corner at the other end.

AHQ29.jpg

Almost there...

AHQ30.jpg

Meanwhile, Volrik stood on a pressure plate and set off a poison gas trap. Inhaling the deadly fumes, he collapsed to the ground unconscious.

AHQ31.jpg

As the heroes moved around the corner, they surprised a gang of unpainted Chaos agents who were loitering there -- two Chaos Warriors with shields and axes accompanied by two Thugs with bows!

AHQ32.jpg

To be continued...

After that, things got a bit, well, Chaotic, you might say.

Firstly, the heroes made a valiant charge, taking the fight to the foe! After all, they had just killed a Chaos Champion; these goons shouldn't be too much of a problem.

AHQ33.jpg

Well, both Ulv and Rohan failed to penetrate the Chaos Warriors' plate armour.

One Chaos Warrior struck a mighty blow which would have killed Sir Rohan, but the gods let him live once again.

He decided not to push his luck and bravely ran away....

AHQ34.jpg

After their leader's retreat, El-Aldoran lost his nerve and ran after Rohan.

But, being a nimble man and unemcumbered by armour, he easily overtook him and ran ahead.

AHQ35.jpg

Ulv, meanwhile, was not for running.

These Chaos goons were Northmen -- his own people! Corrupted by Chaos! Slaves to Darkness!

He could not bear the shame of seeing proud Northmen surrender their souls to the Dark Gods.

He would stand and fight to the bitter end.

He swung his axe and felled a Chaos Warrior, chopping right through the armour with a mighty CLANG!

AHQ36.jpg

Sir Rohan finally caught up to El-Adoran, panting for breath.

AHQ37.jpg

El-Adoran suddenly felt stupid for losing his mind. "Ulv!" he cried and ran back to help his Norscan friend.

AHQ38.jpg

Ulv, meanwhile, had been wounded by axes and arrows, but kept fighting.

He chopped down a Chaos Thug with another swing of his axe.

AHQ39.jpg

El-Adoran had caught up and shot an arrow at the remaining Chaos Warrior.

It pierced through his armour and delivered a serious wound.

AHQ40.jpg

Then, disaster struck.

The remaining Chaos Thug swung a mighty punch at Ulv Grimhand's face and knocked him clean out.

The Northman collapsed to the ground with a thud.

The Chaos Warrior finished him off with a decisive blow from his axe, severing head from shoulders.

AHQ41.jpg

There was nothing for it, now.

El-Adoran, remembering the Magic Ring of Speed he found, slipped it onto his finger and RAN once more.

In his haste, he tripped on a flagstone and stumbled, coming to a halt, not nearly far enough away from his foes.

AHQ42.jpg

They gave chase... and caught up with him.

AHQ43.jpg

Meanwhile, Sir Rohan came across the unconscious body of Volrik.

AHQ44.jpg

To be continued...

weazil

It looks like the missing images are as a result of a security issue:

I don't know anything about Postimg - this is the first I've heard of them. Pity - I'd like to see the pictures :(

Attachments

• s30.postimg.org_Error.jpg
    s30.postimg.org_Error.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 2,505

Launets

Damn, poor Ulv...he was the only true "Hero" in the group...the gods must resurrect him somehow!

Very nice campaign btw I hope you keep on doing it for a long time cause it's really fun :grin:

The Fat Git

I started looking at this thread on my tablet and the pictures are there in all their glory! Very enjoyable read nicely photographed. Poor Ulv is right. :cry:

Hooray! Glad it arrived. As I said before: it's not that complicated once you penetrate the initial wall of text.

There's basically two types of turns: Exploration and Combat. The latter "mode" only applies when monsters are actually on the board (which is surprisingly not that often). The movement and combat mechanics are dead simple once you've read through and digested them.

The bulk of the book, and what makes the game look "complicated", is the amount of information there is towards the random generation of the dungeon itself, but in reality this doesn't amount to more than three consecutive dice rolls per passageway or room.

The best thing about Advanced Hero Quest is the character creation system, allowing you to play any sort of Human, Dwarf or Elf character and thus use any miniature in your collection. Oh, that and the ability to generate random monster tables with a points-based guide, so you can populate your dungeon with any kind of monster type in the Warhammer World (except for Dark Elves).

I will be uploading the last part of the adventure report later today.

El-Adoran had try to run from the Chaos goons a second time, but, having slaughtered his Norscan companion, Ulv Grimhand, there was nothing else to distract them and they easily caught up with him.

So he kept running.

606d86d467.jpg

And they kept chasing him.

606dbe7d64.jpg

Eventually he gained some ground on the goons and quickly sped past his other companion, Sir Rohan, who had fled at a considerably slower pace.

The Chaos Warrior had fallen back a bit, but the Thug was still hot on his heels!

606dd758f4.jpg

El-Adoran then came to a halt, spun around and fired an arrow at the Thug from close range.

The arrow struck true and stopped the Thug in his tracks.

606deeb9b5.jpg

Sir Rohan, taking stock of the situation, closed in on the wounded Thug and ran him through with his blade.

606e1b5253.jpg

The Chaos Warrior caught up and attacked Sir Rohan, but Rohan caught the axe-blow on his shield.

606e2f1855.jpg

Meanwhile, El-Adoran had retreated to the nearest cellar exit.

He paused and notched another bow to his string, hoping to take one final shot before making his escape.

606e3f2577.jpg

Sir Rohan didn't fancy going toe to toe with the Chaos Warrior and reckoned running was preferable to dying.

He dashed for the stairs...

606e544be8.jpg

But the Chaos Warrior caught up with him!

606e650656.jpg

El-Adoran wasn't able to fire an arrow at this range, so instead he launched a well-aimed punch to the Chaos Warrior's helmeted face.

BAM!

Thud.

606e752f85.jpg

He was dead.

The "heroes" looked at each other, then quickly dashed up the stairs and into the open air (for they had left the cellar via the secondary exit that led to an outside trapdoor behind the inn).

They fled into the night across the moor, running like wild things, putting as much distance between themselves and the Inn as possible, until they collapsed, breathless, in a ditch.

Sir Rohan smiled to himself as he quietly patted the fat bag of gold coins he'd taken from the body of Volrik.

THE END

Back