4th edition Chaos vs Empire

person

4th edition fantasy was the first version that I saw played. I had an undead army when I first started. This game is chaos vs empire after a decade of not playing. The rules were probably rusty but what you don't remember doesn't hurt. Because it was my birthday party kid games were provided beforehand in the form of a quick game of Man o War. My 6 year old commanded the dark elf black ark vs an imperial great ship. Dreadfleet ships are easier to use for unco kids.

The black ark kicked the great ship for 3 - 4 turns but didn't finish it. Three unexpected criticals by the great ship sink it through underwater hits.

Then it was time for the main event - Chaos vs Empire 4th edition style...

Deployment and armies.

Chaos left to right

5 chaos knights

11 marauders with flails
1 sorcerer lord (mark of Tzeench, skull of kalom, dispel scroll, chaos armour)

11 warriors chaos
1 chaos hero with chaos armour and shield
(rune blade, helm of many eyes, chaos armour)

5 chaos hounds (not flesh hounds)

3 ogres - great weapons and heavy armour

Empire left to right

Knights panther with general and champion

10 crossbows

20 halbadiers with champion, hero and army standard with banner of defiance. An amethyst wizard lord is standing in the front row waiting to unleash some painful death.

Turn 1 - Chaos

Unable to hold back any longer, the chaos forces lunge fowards, gaining speed with every step and baying for mortal blood. The knights move forwards but stay out of the charge range of the imperial knights panther, while the hounds and ogres shield the chaos hero and warriors from the hellblaster.

No shooting or hand to hand means that the magic phase comes around quickly. Four cards are dealt and a drain power beats two dispel cards.

Turn 1 - Empire

The knights panther are forced to shuffle forwards into charge range to avoid being neutralised by the chaos knights. Missile fire from the crossbows does bugger all but 12 hits from two barrels of the hellblaster grinds the hounds into a yucky paste.

The magic phase is a big one with eight cards drawn. 'Fate of bjuna' is cast on the chaos knights but dispelled with a scroll. The prospect of 2d6 strength 4 hits with no armour save allowed is a little bit worrying to let through. The chaos sorcerer busts out a total power 'firestorm of tzeentch,' kills four knights and creating one pink horror. The chaos sorcerer then uses his remaining force to 'glean' the enemy spell 'caress of laniph.'

Turn 2 - Chaos

Chaos knights charge the remaining knights panther. The infantry continue their advance. The knights kill off three brave imperial knights while horrors pulls another from his horse and does something horrible to him. Meanwhile the Imperial general brutally slays the chaos champion, the only chaos casualty. Despite losing badly, the general sticks around.

The magic phase gets funky when ten cards are dealt out. Boon of tzeentch sees the chaos sorcerer draw another three cards (2 power/1 dispel). 'Fate of bjuna' is cast on the chaos knights in an attempt to get the general out of trouble but a dispell scroll shuts down this plan. Firestorm of tzeentch kills all three hellblaster crew and creates another horror, prompting another trip out to the shed to rustle up the right mini. The imperial mage fires back with a 'caress of lanith' on the chaos sorcerer, only to see it rebounded 16" onto himself. The amulet of fire fails to dispel it so use of the destroy spell card is allowed. Luckily, the spell is nullified but not destroyed.

Turn 2 - Empire

The movement phase is skipped as the imperial forces either shoot or fight (or just sit around and twiddle their thumbs). The crossbows and handguns manage to kill an ogre. The ogres just manage to suppress their desire to panic and flee. The combat phase surprises when zero casualties are caused and the general passes another combat resolution test. The fight continues...

The magic phase sees 'fate of bjuna' dispelled and firestorm of tzeentch cast on the luckless imperials. Eight greatswords die and two new horrors are created. The skull of katam is finally exhausted.

Turn 3 - Chaos

More chaos forces enter combat as the ogres charge the remaining greatswords. Combat is short and bloody. The ogres and horrors smash their already weakened foe and then run them down while the horror kills a knight. Both units flee...

The ogres admire their handiwork...

...while the general is run down.

The game ends in a brutal imperial defeat. The handgunners prepare to run for their lives...

Chaos win the inaugural birthday bash!

person

Maybe sometime in the next decade or so. I have only painted 15 miniatures in the last 36 years so a couple of armies should take a while (not counting epic infantry).

mbh

I was thinking about 4th Ed the other day

I can't remember, we're there chaos marks for the different gods?

person

Yes, this army had a tzeentch sorcerer whose mark game him a reroll with -1/+1 once per turn from memory.

Back