Rumble in the Jungle "battle report"

I've uploaded a narrative account of the Oldhammer Weekend Rumble in the Jungle scenario to my blog:

http://eldritchepistles.blogspot.co.uk/ ... -down.html

I can hardly call it a battle report since it's not at all technical but hopefully it will give those who did not attend a flavour of the scenario.

A big thanks to Padre, Hetz, Harry, Norse and Lenihan - I had a great time fighting this one out. Having not played a wargame for 25 years or so, part of me was wondering if I might find fighting a game at the Oldhammer Weekend a bit of an anti-climax, but it was no such thing. I was swept back to my youth and enjoyed every minute of it! I'm definitely hungry for more.

Oh, and just to check guys, it was the orcs who eventually won...wasn't it?

Padre

The pictures are GREAT (way better than mine with my camera accidentally set on compression mode). I am working right now on a report, not quite blow by blow 'cos I did not take my usual detailed notes, but close to it. In my report, however, you will get the actual result of the game!! ;) Not sure if there is some orc-loving, biased reporting going on in your report, but no, they didn't win. I think you're just trying to wind up the winner. :twisted:

For those who don't know, I will not reveal the winner here - wait for my report!

Padre":ie4ntqeh said:
The pictures are GREAT (way better than mine with my camera accidentally set on compression mode). I am working right now on a report, not quite blow by blow 'cos I did not take my usual detailed notes, but close to it. In my report, however, you will get the actual result of the game!! ;) Not sure if there is some orc-loving, biased reporting going on in your report, but no, they didn't win. I think you're just trying to wind up the winner. :twisted:

For those who don't know, I will not reveal the winner here - wait for my report!

Really! I honestly cant remember. I thought the orcs snatched victory from the norse. Actually hang on, I think its coming back to me - I'll have to change my report! :oops:

Padre

@ Orlygg: I will do. It is my challenge for this evening. (It's not going to be easy.)

PS: In RL it turns out that not only can they not charge me for parking on private land with the owner's permission (would get laughed out of court) but they are not the council, just a private firm. Their notice is an invoice, not a fine. And if people ignore them, there is nothing they can do other than send a stream of official looking junk mail.

Padre

I failed. I mean, I wrote the report, but there was no way to cunningly hard a parking charge reference in there.

Harry

I think in the end warhammer was the winner. :grin:

it was great fun and great fun to see it all again through such fantastic photos.

Looking forward to the padre's version of events.

Hetz

I prefer Steve's version - it ended better :razz:

Harry":2zhabsvr said:
I think in the end warhammer was the winner. :grin:
Yep, says it all really, had a great time. Thanks again everyone, especially Padre and Steve.

Thantsants

Great report and pics Steve - really shows how much fun it all was.

Mind you I could guauge that quite well by the volume of Padre's voice throughout the weekend ;)

lenihan

I've now written up my own battle report from the Elven perspective, most of which represents the fact that the Elven force was blissfully unaware of what was going on at the other side of the table!

http://wheretheseapoursout.blogspot.co. ... ungle.html

As I'm not in possession of a decent camera at the mo, pictures nicked (with permission, so I guess it's not really nicking) from Padre, Citadel Collector, and Warlord Paul.

Padre

Marvellous report, Lenihan! Enjoyed it muchly. I reckon we could have had more encounters/events but I was worried players would think it was all too random to make their actions count. I was wrong - the events/encounters were not potent enough to upset the game, but perfectly balanced (by citadel collector) to make it interesting.

As for the length of the table, that was down purely to (a) how long the tables were ;) and (b) none of us having much of a grasp on just how far 3rd ed forces can move in a game.

Back