WFB3: Hammer Time (4000 pts)

Dreamfish

Administrator
Last week I've played another three player game. One of my friends (S) has been very enthusiastic lately and has been buying miniatures at an alarming rate. Wanting to use more of his newly acquired miniatures S insisted we played with a 4000 points army. The other player D used to his 4/5th edition Chaos Dwarves again.

We planned the game 2 month ahead of time, so I had time to assamble some unpainted miniatures and maybe even paint some. It's funny to see how a simple deadline like this actually helped me to finish 10 Witch Elves and 9 Cold Ones.

I made an overview of the game and we each had the task of creation an army list, of which we would send a public version to each other. The public version would not contain magic items. The private version would be kept with the player during the game.

Just like the previous battle we played a three player game. The only difference, the combat phase was played out in one round rather than one round for each player. Otherwise battles would be fought out too fast without the other units being able to catch up.

The latest additions to the Army Builder files proved very usefull and saved us a lot of time assembling the army lists, especially D's Chaos Dwarfs army.

All players spend a lot of points on characters and magic items. If I had the miniatures I would have spend less on characters and more on units. I already needed to use unpainted miniatures, something I prefer not to do. S can be very insisting sometimes.

The game took off in turn 2.

The Bearbak Rodeo's (Dark Elf Cold Ones +3 elites) together with both my wizards Hotwitch (level 15 wizard on cold one) and Whorelock (level 20 wizard on cold one) moved up the hill and where faced with two dragons. One Dragon 3 and one Dragon 1 profile. Dragon 3 having a level 25 High Elf general has a rider called Avian Varamor. Whorelock used a Steal Mind spell on Avian Varamor, which had a Spell Shield and redirected it back, causing Whorelock to be mindless for 3 turns. Later Radiant Everking (High Elf level 20 wizard on horse) used a Corrode spell on the entire unit, rendering all weapons useless. Meanwhile Hotwitch having joined the unit used a Steadfast spell. This spell actually saved the unit three times from routing during the combat with the dragons. Dragon 1 did a fly-over, while Dragon 3 charged on ground. Eventually Lord Bearbak (level 20 hero on cold one) the only one left with a usable weapon (magic items didn't corrode) - managed to kill the High Elf general with an extermely lucky strike with his Magic Weapon with Enchanted Strike ability (causing double wounds). This left the unit to deal with the out of control Dragon which they lost, with Hotwitch as the only remaining survivor.

The Dark Elf crossbowmen used as skirmishers proved quite effective at killing Black Orcs. The unit took around 10 casualties before they finally charged the Witch Elves. After which they lost the round and routed.

Both my minotaurs (level 15 heros) where used to hold back the Dragon Princes (+4 elites on warhorses). Again, magic stood in the way. Jack Longhorn became mindless and had to deal with free hacks while Bull o'Vard ran for the hills and later rallied somewhere behind a tree. They managed to inflict some damage and hold out long enough for the Dark Elf warriors to charge the unit. The unit revealed an assasin (level 10) with a Mighty Strike ability, but failed to slay Thyrion (level 20 hero) a got killed in the fight. When the Dark Elf warriors charged they had to change formation (3 man wide) which proved to be a fatal fault (no rank bonus). Again, they managed to hold on for reinforcements to arrive. Master B'tor (level 25 hero on cold one) and Collared Bearer (level 10 hero on cold one) charged the unit in the side.

Meanwhile S was dealing with a out of control dragon. The dragon would have attacked the Dragon Princes, but he hold it in place with a Magic Storm spell.

Deployment of the High Elves could have been better. The High Elf Bolt Throwers stood in the way most of the time, which bothered S a lot.

The chariot was quickly on its way and charged Zhatan's Shiite (20 chaos dwarfs). They could has well have charged a concrete wall. It was quite disastrous for the chariot. It lost two crew members and routed after the first round and caused his Shore Riders to panic and flee the table.. The Chaos Dwarfs got caught up in combat against two units of 10 Swords Masters. Abdul Zharrim (level 20 boar centaur) joined the fight and managed to rout one of the attackers. The Chaos Dwarfs also faced a corrode spell (S enjoyed that one) and renedered all weapons of the unit unless and the leader was put to sleep with a Seal Mind spell. Still the rank bonus and War Banner helped the unit to keep winning rounds.

Hydrastic (the Hydra) burned some High Elf warriors and got caught in a fight which it lost. It's quite bad at fighting (WS 2).

The Beastieboys (Ogres) got lost in the woods and got shot down by the Chaos Dwarf Blunderbusses and cannon balls, while Ugluk Kjevhendt (level 20 Ogre) got into a fight with Abid al-Ashari (level 25 hero on Dragon 3). A little detail of note. The Dragon was wingless, because no extra points where spend on wings.

Gorduz Backstabber (level 20 on Giant Wolf) was put to sleep with a Steal Mind spell early in the game for 6 turns.

Gorduz al-Hassan's Assassins (hobgoblins) got locked down into a fight with the Silver Helms. D decided to help out by attacking the unit in combat with cannon balls and flame attacks from his Flamers. Useless to say he killed more of his own than the enemy.

We played out 5 full turns in about 12 hours played out over two days. The game wasn't completely finished and could gone either ways. Although S lost his general, he scored the most points and was crowned as the winning player. Later that day stories where told and heroic fights relieved with beer and sizzling meat on a BBQ.

Below the overview of the battlefield and deployment zones:

Table%20deployment.png

And some in game pictures:

DSC_3863.JPG

DSC_3864.JPG

DSC_3865.JPG

DSC_3866.JPG

DSC_3867.JPG

DSC_3869.JPG

DSC_3870.JPG

DSC_3872.JPG

DSC_3874.JPG