I want to play Warhammer!

jon_1066

Such was the cry from my kids this weekend. Who was I to disappoint them? A much simplified rule set (for ages 7 to 9) and they were soon blasting away. Basically each figure could act independently - the children very much treated them like individuals - could move 2D6 inches and shoot hitting at 4+ at close range (24") or 5+ at long range. Figures in cover saved at 3+, otherwise it was 4+. If a shot was exceptionally hard (through two windows at a figures behind a girder for instance) they would hit on 6+.

They have previously been let loose on some old Chaos Renegades with their brushes. I am sure many here would shudder to see such old citadel classics being treated so cavalierly. I figure I can always strip their efforts later on - it's not like I am short of lead to paint after all.

Armed with "their" marines they set to it against the old man and then each other. An appearance of a dinosaur they really liked and were disappointed when it was driven off. As was inevitable the battle between two of them ended in acrimony - will have to work on winning and losing and red team vs blue rather than "me against you".

They loved "hiding" their marines in the buildings, jumping out of windows and running away.

jon_1066

We had some more games this weekend. This time I used a heavily modded version of Song of Blades and Heroes. It seemed to suite their desired play style a bit better. ie individual actions and heroes doing crazy things. It was a lot of fun. My Quality 2 and 3 Space Orks got blasted to pieces by the five strong band of quality 4 Space Marines.

jon_1066

So this weekend I was instructed to get the kids off those bloody computer games.

"But dad I still have 31 races to go on Mario Kart"

"Want to play warhammer?"

I have never seen the Wii shut off in such quick time. One marathon tidy up later and it was a halloween special using a simplified version of Dragon Rampant. Five heroes were investigating a spooky graveyard where evil goings on had been seen. Find the evil wizard and take him out, but be careful he is protected by shambling skeletons.

The heroes were individual models with six hits, everything activated on a 6+, the kinghts hit on a 4+, the skeletons and knights companions hit on a 5+. Knights had armour 4, companions armour 3 and skeletons armour 2. The first battle was against my seven year old. He seemed to pick things up quite quickly. He wanted to play the baddies so I was the intrepid knights. His dice were on fire and had soon whittled my men-at-arms down to half dice. It ended with my last knight fighting to the last wound.

The second battle my youngest daughter took the goodies. She smashed her way through four units of skeletons (with one guy armed with a mace doing most of the smashing and not taking a scratch in return). The highlight was her leader running away after getting shot by the evil wizards power bolt spell only for mace man to step up and batter the wizard.

Here is a very poor shot of mace guy getting ready to smash another unit of skellies. The ruler was for movement - they could all move the length of the 6" ruler and anything that could shoot could fire the length of a 12" ruler.

30647346056_0c8c30f583_z.jpg

They had fun and I have left it set up. They were playing with it before school this morning. I don't remember skeletons playing hide and seek with hellhounds but I guess they must do something to while away the hours when they are not fighting goodie knights.

Back