Battle at the Temple of Zemption

Following on from the skirmish at Jabberwick Hall (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3579)...

The warband of Zogbad, Champion of Chaos undivided, closes in on the location of his mortal enemy. Karla Champion of Zuuf has defeated him in the past but he is determined to teach her a lesson this time. As he approaches he spies another warband of Zuuf who seem to be performing some kind of ritual on the hilltop. The hill is in fact the site of the ancient temple of Zemption. And it is still guarded by the mysterious Zempta Beasts, three of which are patrolling the area tirelessly. On top of the hill, the sorcerer Fezrond is attempting some kind of summoning spell
DSC00977.JPG

Now as it happens, the Earl of Jabberwick Green, all in a fluster after his retreat from the previous encounter, has stumbled into the area. He has encountered the wizard of peace and love, who has offered him a very interesting potion. The Earl seems to have mistaken the wizard for his family physician and is eager to obey Drs orders. "Ah Doctor I see you have made me a potion for my rheumatism. Very well then I shall drink up." Whatever was in the potion it is powerful stuff and the Earl immediately begins to lose his bearings, stumbling around at random.
DSC00985.JPG

Meanwhile, Zogbad has encountered a strange ghostly daemon. "Who are you and what is your purpose?" he demands fearlessly.

"Flems!"

"Phlegms?"

"Flems!" the daemon repeated enthusiastically, giving a little blast of pink fire, by way of explanation.

"Ah flames, you are a Flamer of Tzeentch. You are sent to aid us are you?"

"Flems!" the daemon replied affirmatively. Then it pointed ominously towards the woods. "Jabbelwick."
Without further explanation the flamer set off and Zogbad followed, eager for battle.
DSC00987.JPG

Primary mission: Defeat Karla.
Secondary mission: Help the flamer rescue the Earl and return with him to the start location.
Tertiary Mission: A minotaur is imprisoned at the monolith, guarded by giant chaos hounds. If released, he will be a powerful ally.
Bonus mission: The banner-bearer of Zuuf has also been drinking the wizards potions and is wandering around intoxicated. If he can be captured it would be one in the eye for the Zuufites.

The wizard, the three Zempta beasts and the banner bearer each move d6" in a random direction per turn. The Earl also moves randomly until the flamer reaches him, whereupon he can be coaxed in the direction of safety if he passes a WP test each turn.

The wizard spreads an irresistable aura of peace and love around him (any model within 6" may not attack). Zempta beasts will 'zempt anyone within 1" (miss a turn).

Zogbad and seven chaos marauders have deployed in the centre and are bearing down on the monolith. On his right four more marauders lead by a mighty chaos warrior are advancing on Karla´s position. His right flank is covered by eight chaos dwarves.
DSC01049.JPG

Karla´s warband are walking in column along the path up to the hilltop. She is leading the unit of big guys: Ackers the giant, Cyclops and Trolly. At the front of the column is Lanah the Damnably Lost and her barbarian warriors. Upon spying enemies, Karla immediately calls the column to a half and gets into formation for attack. Lurking around the hill are Selwyn the daemon stone thrower and a cultist who is attempting to train a pair of giant scorpions (Ld test each turn or they will run amuck).

Turns one and two: Zogbad charges the chaos hounds, slaying one, but the fighting is bitter. Karla and the big guys move towards the marauders, coming under fire from the flamer, with Lanah in support.
DSC00989.JPG

The Earl has wandered behind enemy lines.
DSC00990.JPG

Turns three and four: Zogbad and his men slay another hound. The third dog heads for the hills. Approaching the monolith, Zogbad calls upon the Gods and demands his prize. The chains binding the minotaur fall away and he rushes off towards the enemy. Zogbad turns his attention to Karla.

The Earl has taken a sudden detour and stumbled across the flamer. "I was having this amazing dream, my doctor was in it. But I seem to be sleepwalking. Can you take me back to bed?" The flamer attempts to nudge the poor Jabberwock back towards safety.
DSC00994.JPG

Karla and the big guys charge the marauders on their right. The cultist has managed to goad his scorpions towards the chaos dwarves and is anticipating an easy victory. But suddenly he is confronted by a very large angry minotaur.
DSC00995.JPG

Thanks folks. I ran out of steam with battle reporting. Hopefully I will resume the thread during the week. I may try and get some better pics if I can get good lighting sorted out.

"Ha, I was aiming for that guy. Didn´t like the look of him." Selwin, aiming for the center of the large marauder unit, was remarkably only a little off target this time, flattening a marauder.

"Karla, I´ve got a tummy ache".
"Just try to concetrate on attacking the enemy Trolly. It will take your mind off it."
Trolly unleashes his potent vomit attack, consuming one chaos marauder in a ball of acidic gunk. The small unit of marauders are pushed back.
DSC00997.JPG

The minotaur, in a rage, kills a scorpion and wounds the other. Forgetting about blood-rage [remembering the rules is not my strong point these days] he pursues. The scorpion handler, terrified, knew his time had come... At this point the wizard of peace and love wandered nearby. The minotaur, whose thoughts up until now were all of vengeance and generally tearing peoples limbs off, starts to experience new feelings of oneness and brotherly love. The battle forgotten, he embraces the scorpion and handler, promising eternal friendship.
DSC00996.JPG

Lanah, knowing that Karla is vulnerable to being charged in the flank, leads her barbarians in a heroic and doomed charge. In the thick of the fighting, mighty Zogbad challenges her. She dodges his axe, but gobbo the barbarian is slain. Spurred on by their orange banner, they hold their ground.
DSC00999.JPG

Zogbad, sensing things are not going to plan, calls on his men to renew their efforts. Lanah and several of her barbarians are brought low, the rest fleeing.
To their left, a marauder slays Cyclops.
DSC01004.JPG

Selwyn the stone thrower and his goblin crew see the tide of turning back towards Zogbad. Now is a time for heroes.
"Dem chaos marauders is comin right at us Selwyn"
"Don´t worry gobbos, I´ll flatten them with this next shot. You just watch this."
But then, out of the blue....

[The rest is a brief summary of the rest of the battle. It is a bit vague since it has taken me five years to get around to it. I blame zempta beasts...]

Taken by surprise by a zempta beast, selwin is thrown out of the time stream. Zogbad, having seen off the barbarians, charges into combat with Karla and the troll.
They are quickly overcome and Karla is dragged off as prisoner.
DSC01017.JPG

The minotaur's newfound amorousness was interrupted by a zempta beast.
DSC01001.JPG

Finally, the cultists finish intoning their summoning spell. The air swirls with mighty magic forces and then Zuuf himself materialises.
DSC01037.JPG

By this time, Selwin had reemerged from stasis.
"Ah there you are Zuufie. Don't you worry, I've got things under control here."

"Selwin, the enemy champion has rescued the jabberwock and is getting away. We must get after them immediately!"

Zogbad and his followers retreat, taking with them Jabberwick and Karla. The minotaur recovered his usual demeanour and promptly slew the scorpion and handler.
But before he had a chance to bathe in their blood, he was ensnared by a change allegiance spell.
DSC01018.JPG

Zuuf and his cultists charge after Zogbad, with Selwin taking aimless potshots at the fleeing chaos marauders. At this moment, Moonface finally arrived with some of his allies. Mounted on disks and armed with mighty spells, they covered the escape. Zogbad and his men slipped into the forests, leaving Zuuf lamenting the failure of his followers.
DSC01043.JPG

Back