Space Hulk - First Edition

Well with it being the Bank Holiday weekend my girlfriend kindly agreed to play a few games of toy soldiers with me. Frankly I couldn't be arsed to set up the scenery for a game of 40k so I thought I'd break out the old classic SPACE HULK which never really gets played as much as it should!

blogger-image--1654658473.jpg

I had actually forgotten how much fun this game really is, and how quick it is to play! The feel of the old black and white rulebooks was particularly nostalgic

blogger-image-1341074443.jpg

I was particularly pleased that after all these years I have finally finished painting my genestealers and so could play with fully painted forces on both sides!

blogger-image--1699888539.jpg

We played through the first three missions from the booklet over the course of the weekend and had an absolutely great time!

blogger-image-1337275324.jpg

blogger-image--173472320.jpg

blogger-image--951838675.jpg

blogger-image-243534748.jpg

I let her be the marine player throughout and overall she won every game, but you know what...I had such a great time I didn't really care about winning or losing! What an awesome game!

I'll definitely be playing it again in the future! I have done a much fuller battle report with loads more pictures on my blog:
http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/space-hulk-first-edition-bank-holiday.html
Please feel free to stop by and a have a look!

Legio

bug16

Love love love love love 1st edition Space Hulk! :grin: It's such a perfect game in terms of rules and missions although I never need to play Suicide Mission again, I've played that too many times introducing people to the game. Deathwing is a must imo but Genestealer, although lots of fun, unbalances things. I also rate Campaigns if you can get hold of it. :)

Cheers mate! Tell me about it, I have played Suicide Mission so many times I think I could do it with my eyes closed!
Yep I think I'll give Deathwing a go soon, Genestealer looks mind-boggling!

I managed to pick up a mint copy of Campaigns on eBay yesterday for around £20 so I am eagerly awaiting it's arrival!

I love Space Hulk, such a simple but awesome game!

Space Hulk is one of my personal favourites. Especially when played with the bidding system as nobody like playing stealers

Well as an update my girlfriend and I spent the weekend working through the final few missions of the initial Space Hulk Campaign and it was great fun (again)

blogger-image-1621751506.jpg

blogger-image-854263701.jpg

That being said I have to say I feel the middle missions from the initial campaign are exceptionally hard for the Marine player...nigh on impossible in fact!

blogger-image--359315544.jpg

blogger-image--912600916.jpg

However I reckon that this issue could possibly be re-balanced by using the variant army lists from the Deathwing expansion, assault cannons look like they could be really potent in those dark corridors...

blogger-image-533149105.jpg

And for those of you who wanted to see a close up of my terminators (ZHU) I have put up a separate post over in the SHOWROOM Forum of my first company veterans in all their glory.

As ever there are more photos and further details on my blog:

http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/space-hulk-epilogue-lots-of-old-school.html

Great pictures. Well you are right. Some missions are really hard for the Marine to win. Changing weapons is not always the best of options. Some play better with the standart Marines instead of Terminators because under the bidding system you`ll get mor models. But beware Marines die easier.
When playing missions with many small corridors it is sometimes better to have some Close assault Terminators like Lightning Claws or Thunder Hammer.

Cheers mate, luckily I recently added some close combat terminators to my force, so I'll be giving them a go in the near future!

CC Terminators are pure fun but could die quite fast if you play with hybrids with weapons. Use the basic rules and they are hard to kill. The only way is then to swarm them with stealers.

bug16

Campaigns mint for £20 was a bargain. :) The missions in Campaigns are, on the whole, really quite hard for the Marines and you can't make any mistakes with either your tactics or use of your APs/CPs. No pressure! :grin: I only started to beat them after I played the missions and Space Hulk an awful lot.

Yeah, I noticed that they seem rather challenging for the Marines...I might use a few house rules to even things out a bit! Everyone loves a challenge, nobody likes having their asses handed to them!

The missions from the campaign book are sometimes very challenging but manageable. On the other hand you can alwayseo start with the full supply of Terminators rather than using the ones left from the last one.

Back