Mayhem!

Thantsants

Not strictly speaking Oldhammer in terms of using older editions of WFB but I am in the process of playing through and reviewing a new game called Mayhem, freshly sprung from the fevered imagination of Brent Spivey - an old LAF pal of mine.

I was a big fan of Havoc - a 28mm skirmish game he released a while back (battle report here), so I was most pleased when he mentioned he was developing a 10/15mm game.

Anyway here's what I've been painting for the past couple of weeks in preparation!

Army building is easy and you can really reflect the nature of the troops with a nice choice of stats from Movement, Combat Quality, equipment and various skills and attributes - more of which later. Plus using Gold Crowns instead of points is a fun way of splashing the cash!

Goodies

Noble General
Human Cavalry with heavy armour, lance and shield
Leadership D8
M - D8
CQ - D8
Cost 18 crowns

3 units of Lancers
Human Cavalry with shields and lances
M - D8
CQ - D12
(1 unit is an Elite – free Fearless ability)
Cost 11 crowns each

2 units of Halberdiers
Human Infantry with Spears
M - d6
CQ - d12
Drilled
Standard and Musician
Cost - 7 crowns each + 3 crowns for standard & musician

1 unit of Hand Gunners
Human Infantry with rifles
M - d6
CQ D12
Drilled
Cost 16 crowns

2 units of Dwarf Thunderers
Infantry with rifles
M - D4
CQ - D10
Steadfast
Cost - 16 crowns each

Hero on Griffin
Flyer with lance, heavy armour and shield
M - D10
CQ - D8
Damage
Flyer
Impact
Terror
Cost 29 crowns

1 unit of Elf Spearmen
Infantry with heavy armour, shields and spears
M - D6
CQ - D10
Ranked Fighting
Cost 12 crowns each + 3 crowns for standard and musician

1 unit of Dwarf Trollslayers
Infantry with axes
M – D4
CQ – D10
Fearless
Berserker
Cost – 12 crowns

Total - 172 Crowns

100_1085_zps9dc43b96.jpg

100_1089_zps881a6ca8.jpg

100_1087_zps214c4932.jpg

100_1088_zpsd4f61176.jpg

Baddies

100_1106_zpsd201f3c2.jpg

Evil General
Cavalry with heavy armour, shield and lance
Leadership D8
M - D8
CQ - D8
Terror
Cost 23 crowns

100_11042_zps424cb109.jpg

2 Packs of Chaos Hounds
M - D8
CQ D12
Pack Hunters

100_1091_zpsba55ac0e.jpg

2 units of Skeleton Horsemen
Cavalry with lance, heavy armour and shields
M - D8
CQ - D20
Fear
Cost 13 crowns each + 2 crowns for standard

100_1102_zps359e66ea.jpg

2 units of Skeleton Archers
Infantry with longbows
M - D6
CQ - D20
Fear
Cost 15 crowns each

100_1105_zps7b518c10.jpg

2 Units of Half Orcs
Infantry with swords and shields
M - D6
CQ - D12
Cost - 5 crowns each + 2 crowns for standard + 6 crowns for Hero

100_1095_zpsd4b9bade.jpg

2 units of Trolls
Behemoth
M - D6
CQ - D12
Fear and Beat Back (Free)
Cost 10 crowns each

100_1104_zpsaf9bcead.jpg

Giant
M D8
CQ D10
Damage
Impact
Terror
Cost 35 crowns

Total - 178 Crowns

100_1090_zps2a98d23f.jpg

And here's the beginning of the report - I'll be playing and posting up each turn as I play them.

The first reports through from the Northern frontier with Ostland had been sketchy at first. Horrific stories of monstrous invaders and terrible massacres. Then a name began to filter through the tall tales and stories of woe borne back by the few refugees to survive - Shreevan Zeegal. A name not heard in these parts for many a year. A name not to be spoken lightly. Or even out loud...

As the evil army advanced further into the more civilised areas of Hochland, it became apparent exactly what its inhabitants faced. Zeegal had formed an unholy alliance of chaotics and undead. His ranks were swelled by those who had fallen to him in battle and those creatures who flocked to his banner and the promise of slaughter. Foremost among them, Dulf Lundgrin, Half Orc chieftain with his warriors and trolls.

Their incursion was not to go unpunished however. Marching with all haste to meet the threat was Count Johan Von Damne at the head of his hastily mobilised army. Along with the column of state troopers, sweating under the load of their halberds and arquebus, came allies in the form of a proud company of Elf spearmen and the more barbarous fellowship of Dwarf troll slayers, roused from their mountain fastnesses, eager to find a heroic death. The unmistakable whiff of black powder signalled the presence of Dwarf thunderers also come down from the mountains to contain the threat before it grew too large.

As Bluch Norress and his famed lancers scouted ahead of the main column, Arkneld Beulenegger soared above them on his magnificent Griffin mount, spying out the approach of the enemy. With the intelligence provided by him, Von Damne had formulated a plan. Zeegal's army had to cross the river Lachtbeek at a large ford not far from the town f Eichewuldchen. If the Count could reach the crossing first and prepare his defences they had a chance of forcing the chaotic horde into a bottle neck and destroying them in detail. If they got there first...

As the two opposing generals both have D8 leadership I rolled to see who chose to set up first. Von Damne won the roll and elected to deploy and move first.

On the right the various units of black powder missile troops formed up, looking to advance forwards and defend the ford. Behind them, Beulenegger prepares his monstrous mount to fly ahead the main army to disrupt the enemy advance.

100_1108_zpscc0ce881.jpg

The Halberdiers and Elf spearmen form up in column on the road - they can all be moved en masse at the cost of 1 command point, although at the potentially slower rate of their default movement rate of 3" rather than a danger roll of a D6, along with the possibility of rolling a higher movement rate.

100_1119_zps0ab703eb.jpg

The Trollslayers and Lancers form up on the left flank.

100_1120_zps96f67e00.jpg

Along with their general, Count Johann Von Damne

100_1124_zpse846628e.jpg

Meanwhile, Zeegal's horde drew up their lines in readiness.

On the right were the skeleton horsemen and packs of chaos hounds, ready to sweep forward and outflank the ford's defenders.

100_1110_zps20954483.jpg

Zeegal surveyed the main part of his army from his position in the centre. Skeleton archers to the right of him and the Half Orc column on his left both prepared to march on the ford itself.

100_1123_zps26c74d8e.jpg

On the left, howling with anticipation were the evil General's shock troops in the form of the Trolls and Giant.

100_1122_zps7b7fb971.jpg

The whole table -

100_1112_zps138dfb6a.jpg

100_1115_zpsfeb27b0c.jpg

Turn 1

Desperate to get to the ford first and establish a line of defence, Count Von Damne elected to go first. First job - roll up command points. This is based on how many heroes, elites and standards your force contains. Von Damne manages 19 CP's - not a bad score! All actions taken by units cost a certain number of CP's - multiple actions cost double. The turn ends once all CP's are spent.

The Halberdiers and Elves move en masse up the road, digging deep they go into overdrive to push for the ford ahead of the enemy. Similarly the Trollslayers run forward as fast as their little legs can carry them to keep pace.

100_1129_zps670b3b90.jpg

Bluch Norress and his lancers spur their mounts on to advance ahead of the main column and fall on the enemy's flanks.

100_1126_zps43ea8d62.jpg

The Dwarf Thunderers advance, while the Handgunners gain the vantage point of the hill to dirent their fire against any foes crossing the ford.

100_1128_zps45b28fab.jpg

Arkneld Beulenegger swoops down to secure the approach to the ford as the slavering Trolls draw near...

100_1130_zps2ed9b7f2.jpg

Zeegal's command structure isn't quite up to the heights of Hochland's finest. With a combination of two standards and the Half Orc hero Dulf Lundgren, Zeegal can call upon 3 D8's and rolls up 17 CP's.

The Trolls, as previously seen, race towards the ford using overdrive to take two danger rolls with their movement rate of D6 inches.

100_1131_zps7217b30c.jpg

Having rolled two 6's, they find themselves in a very advanced position, closely followed by the Giant.

100_1132_zps5e75e62e.jpg

Behind them march the massed ranks of Half Orcs and Undead.

100_1133_zps21c852c3.jpg

Turn 2 should bring first blood...

Thantsants

Great - actually I should have said that they're designed for 28mm too - just scale up your table.

I should correct my use of CP's in turn 1 - you're only supposed to keep one dice no matter how many you roll! :roll:

Mind you - it certainly gets the game going in the first turn in terms of this particular scenario - in the form of a mad dash for the objective.

igirisujin

The only thing that puts me off of Mayhem over Havoc is the pdf only format, I know I am probably in a minority but I just can not deal with pdfs, I need a real book. I realise I could print them out but it is just not the same. Even a low quality book is better than a printed out rule book, I am probably sounding like a old git right now but what can you do.

Thantsants

I know what you mean - especially when you think about the thing of beauty that the WFB 3rd ed rule book is.

Keeps the costs down though I suppose :)

igirisujin

I have two copies of all the 3rd ed books and the 1st rogue trader books, along with my 1st and 2nd ed WFB books. One lot in Britain and one lot with with me in Japan, you can never be too careful.

Thantsants

Re: Mayhem! The Battle of Harrison's Ford

You can say that again!

Well I was lacking a name for the battle so here it is - The Battle of Harrison's Ford.]

It might shed some light on the names I've picked for the characters too! Now I just have to weave in some references to 80's action movies as suitable situations arise from the game...

Apologies for the delay by the way - been fighting off some horrible Outer Mongolian Death Flu - well flu at any rate!

Turn 2
Von Damne's Dependables
CP's rolled - 8

100_1140_zps64bf9928.jpg

Bluch Norress gestured forward with his great lance and his elite warriors, the Sons of Thunder, cantered forward. Alongside them came the rest of his clansmen, ready to deny the river bank to the enemy. His steely gaze alone was worth fifty spears - the undead horde shambling towards him couldn't know fear. But they should...

Norress' Lancers secure the river bank, although one unit lags behind having crapped out on a danger roll for movement. Again the Troll Slayers spurred themselves on to keep up with the advancing battle line.

100_1138_zps1d336008.jpg

Over on the right the Thunderers continued their advance to bring the ford within range of their muskets. Although the bellows of the approaching Trolls rang loud in their ears, the creatures remained too distant for an effective shot.

100_1142_zpsa3afc7a3.jpg

Arkneld Beulenegger sat back in his saddle, preening himself in the sun almost as much as Lavister, his Griffin mount was. The stench and howling cries of the approaching horde phased him not and he coolly surveyed the battlefield. Seeing the ford was almost secured by the approaching column of Foot and Arquebusiers, Beulenegger spurred his mount across the river.
"Faster Lavister, for soon we shall drive the enemy before us and hear their lamentations!"

100_1143_zps23ab81d2.jpg

With an ambush set, the enemy's flank threatened by Arkneld and the ford almost zeroed in by the Thunderers and Handgunners, Von Damne's defense was looking in good shape...

Turn 2
Zeegal's Maruaders
CP's rolled - 7

Shreevan Zeegal looked on in satisfaction as his army surged forward, as though belched from the belly of a beast. Though they were heading into deadly ground - into the teeth of the Dwarven muskets - the evil Warlord was satisfied that the ford would soon be under siege...

The skeleton horsemen advance to meet Norress' lancers, quickly followed by the baying hounds, who go into overdrive to keep pace.

100_1144_zps5de69f77.jpg

To their left, the rest of the undead shamble forward in the form of the skeleton archers.

100_1146_zpsf9068625.jpg

Halting as one in their uncanny way, the long dead soldiers drew back their rotting bowstrings and let loose a volley of black arrows at one of the units of Norress's lancers.

100_1148_zpsaab63a91.jpg

Horses and men cried out alike as feathered death rained down about them. Then suddenly, as one, they turned and fled the killing field.

(In the rules archers can elect to use volley fire - they roll three dice to hit and for damage, pick best one and if the shot is successful the target is driven back a distance equal to the difference in the combat result, rather than damaged or disordered)

100_1149_zpsddbbaa3b.jpg

The second unit of skeleton archers misjudged the range and their volley fell harmlessly into the river.

Turn 3
Von Damnes' Dependables
CP's rolled - 7

Count Johann Von Damne's chest swelled with pride as his trusty old dependables - his household troopers who formed the backbone of the state's defenses - marched ever onward in their serried ranks. The shrill blare of hunting horns, fife and drum made the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end in exhilaration and anticipation - there would be good sport to be had today. Bloodsport in fact...

100_1129_zps670b3b90.jpg

Sergeants busied themselves up and down the line and orders were barked out. With the well drilled discipline of the parade square the Handgunners moved along the hillside, leaving space for a unit of Thunderers to join them in their vantage point over the ford. Below them the remaining Dwarfs moved across to all the Human state troopers to begin to fan out into their thin red and green line across the ford.

100_1155_zps220a9626.jpg

Turn 3
Zeegal's Marauders
CP's rolled - 8 CP's

Zeegal spurred his terrible mount onwards, keeping pace with the snarling Half Orcs to his left. The puny horsemen keeping guard along the river bank were already marked for death - his Undead Cavalry would see to that. A low rumble of mocking laughter escaped the skull-like visage of his great helm. Today you die, he thought to himself as he watched the prancing of the Human General, marked by the playful glint of sunlight on his golden armour...

Zeegal rides alongside the advancing Half Orc column, while behind them the Giant becomes completely engrossed with a small itch on his toe - remaining stationary for another turn.

100_1153_zpsf17171b3.jpg

Undeterred by the deep and languorous waters of the river, the Skeleton Horse wade impassively in, halting just before the other bank, lined as it is with bright shields and keen lances.

100_1151_zps61b22018.jpg

Behind them the hounds bound along with a lucky danger roll of 7", the scent of man and horse flesh mingling tantalising in the breeze.

100_1152_zps9effb626.jpg

At the edge of the ford the Trolls, confused by the sudden flight of the Griffin, split their ranks. The foremost splash into the shallows while those behind turn to face the new threat.

100_1154_zps6553352d.jpg

The skeleton archers again march forward, halt and bend the yew of their ancient bows with unseen sinews. Norress and his horsemen again were the target, though this time the doughty warriors steel themselves against the oncoming hail of arrows, refusing to be dislodged from their position. The volley directed against the Troll Slayers fell short however.

Turn 4
Von Damne's Dependables
CP's rolled - 6

Von Damne gave the order and slowly but surely his army began to move in a great, almost balletic display of drill and discipline. The line would hold, the ford would not be given up, there would be no retreat, no surrender...

The great snaking column of spearmen and halberdiers began to undergo a transformation. Its head detached itself as the Elven spears, resplendent in the sun in their glittering scale mail, moved forward to block the mouth of the ford. The Halberdiers came to a halt, preparing themselves for the maneuvres that would see them secure the Elves' flanks.

With much clashing of axe blades and bellowing of war cries, the Troll Slayers continued their advance, eager to get to grips with the monstrous adversaries they had spied across the river.

100_1158_zps785f4502.jpg

Their cries were echoed by those of Norress' horsemen as they thundered into the Skeleton Horse wallowing in the bend of the river. The gap in the line caused by their headlong charge was quickly filled by the third unit of lancers, who had finally cajoled their panicky horses back towards the enemy.

100_1156_zps998b5e48.jpg

Lances crashed home, timbers shivered and age-old breast plates smashed asunder. The impact of the Lancers charge rippled through the Undead ranks, throwing them into disorder.

The unit of Lancers who charged elected to take a danger roll to ascertain how far they would move in their charge. If I have this correct, this meant that they could ignore the movement penalty of the river (DV2 or 2 CP's to move in/out/through the river) by rolling the number of dice equivalent to the river's DV (Defensive Value) along with their own dice for the danger roll, and taking the lowest score. Having gone for a danger roll this also meant they didn't have to spend a CP to overcome the Fear the skeletons cause, and being cavalry with the Impact ability they didn't need to spend a CP to initiate a melee as this happens automatically with units with that ability.

I changed the Undead's abilities here a lttle too - because the lancers won their melee rather convincingly (the difference in Combat rolls was 10!) and also possess the Drive Back ability, this would have meant the Undead Horsemen would have to flee 10". This didn't feel right for Undead, which I'm used to being immune to psychology from WFB, so I also gave them the steadfast ability - immune to Drive Back and Beat Back (the infantry version of Drive Back). Thus did the Undead Horse become disordered.

100_1157_zps64237c2a.jpg

Beulenegger watched with increasing fury as flight after flight of black feathered arrows rained down on Norress' Lancers. Lavister, his magnificent Griffin mount champed at his bit, sensing his master's anger.

100_1161_zps2dd3023f.jpg

"To hell with this..."

The great hero roared and together they soared over the startled enemy ranks. The great beast came to ground in a flurry of wings and claws to the rear of the Skeleton archers. Arkneld again leaned forward to whisper in his faithful steed's ear,

"They don't bleed old friend, but we can kill them..."

100_1162_zpsc4acf689.jpg

Meanwhile the complex manoeuvring within the Alliance lines continued, as the Handgunners and Thunderers widened their lines to allow a second unit to take up position on the hill top.

100_1155_zps220a9626.jpg

Turn 4
Zeegal's Marauders
CP's rolled - 7

With the threat of the Griffin gone, the Trolls once more turned their attention to their advance across the ford. The Half Orc column followed up in their wake.

100_1164_zps6efa282c.jpg

Zeegal watched Arkneld's flight of fury with an interested eye. He noticed that the beast's flight had not escaped the Giant's notice either and settled back in his saddle to enjoy the spectacle of this clash of the titans.

With a roar, the Giant roused himself from his inspection of his big toenail and loped over to Beulenegger and his mount. A flash of fear passed across the hero's face as the Giant hefted its huge club and dealt a brutal blow. The Griffin staggered under the impact, letting out a shriek of pain. One wing hung limply and the stricken monster held aloft its ruined front paw in agony.

This was an interesting little encounter! In hindsight I should have been a bit more cautious or used the Monstrous Creature's Impact ability to initiate a melee with the Skeleton Archers for free. However, I wanted to see how tough it was - or how good at killing monsters the Giant was...
The Griffin took the risk of landing within the Giant's move range, although the Giant was lucky to only spend one CP on a danger roll for movement - and then rolled a sufficient amount to bring him into contact. There was a difference of 4 between the two combat results which means that the Griffin had to roll 4 D6 to ascertain whether it had survived. A roll of 13 or more would have killed it (note that any 6's "explode" and mean another die has to be rolled!). Luckily I rolled a combined score of 12! However, this means that the Griffin receives 4 damage points which I'll have to spend 4 CP's on next turn to get rid of and return the Griffin to full operational capabilities...

100_1166_zps907f916b.jpg

The skeleton archers again loosed their arrows at the Empire lines - this time targeting the Elf spearmen. Their ranks fell into disorder as Elves fell clutching their wounds.

100_1165_zps4dcdc9d1.jpg

Over in the swirling melee in the shallows of the river, the Skeleton Horsemen rallied themselves (cost of 1 CP) removing the disordered token that had been inflicted by the Lancers.

Thantsants

Cheers Airborne! There may be a few other action movie references in there somewhere ;)

Time for a long overdue update on the progress of Shreevan Zeegal's merciless assault on Harrison's Ford. Can Beulenegger and his Griffin escape the Giant's clutches? Will Norress live up to his terrifying reputation?

Read on dear reader...

Turn 5
Von Damne's Dependables
CP's rolled - 7

Beulenegger fought to control his stricken mount as it reared backwards from the Giants terrible blow. He glanced upwards at the huge creature, growling under his breath,

"You're one ugly mo..."

However, he didn't have time to finish as the tree trunk the brute was using as a weapon swept downwards again. Beulenegger kicked and wrestled with Lavister's reins in a last ditch attempt to escape,

"Get to the river... Do it.... Do it now!"

With a final wrench, the wounded Griffin finally got the message and struggled into the air. Beulenegger, not content with retreating, spied the struggle in the river between Noress' Horsemen and the Skeleton cavalry.

100_1379_zps36e2798f.jpg

Beulenegger steers his Griffin mount into a banking dive and smashes into the flanks of the Undead Riders. Already maddened by the pain of its injuries, Lavister lashes out with terrible abandon, utterly destroying the skeletal foe. A low moan escapes the survivors of the foul horde as they watch their standard fall into the rushing waters.

Having spent 4 CP's to avoid taking another damage roll on the Griffin, and another CP to move him away from the Giant I thought he may as well use his Impact ability on a softer target - hence the charge on the Skeleton horsemen. A lucky danger roll got me 10" of movement and an even luckier roll of a 1 for the combat result meant that the skeletons were automatically eliminated!

Meanwhile over on the bluff overlooking the ford, the Handgunners carefully adjusted their sights, measured out their powder and took aim. A deafening roar heralded the hail of shot that ripped into the lead unit of Trolls. As the smoke cleared the evil brutes remained in possession of the river, but several of the creatures nursed great rents in their hides.

100_1381_zpseb53f082.jpg

The Handgunners beat the Trolls by 2 in the roll to determine damage from the shooting and so 2 damage points are allotted to the Trolls. They make their damage roll (Still possible to roll 13 or more with the 2 dice what with the exploding 6's) and survive.

The Elvish spears take advantage of the brief lull in the battle to reorganise and rally their ranks.

Turn 5
Zeegal's Marauders
CP's rolled - 6

The air hissed with the passage of the hail of shot as the crash of the Thunderers weapons reverberated across the ford. On came the Trolls unflinching despite the rents torn in their tough hide. Mucklane, the largest and meanest of the bunch paused to bellow out a warcry in defiance as they neared the ford's defenders,

"Yiiii-Peee-Kiiiii-Yaaayyy!"

Enraged by the Thunderer's markmanship, the Trolls thunder across the ford. They make their damage roll with ease and roll up 4" for their Danger roll for movement.

100_1383_zps500e6b3b.jpg

The noble Elves locked shields and braced their spears for the impact but it was a doomed attempt. The Trolls laid about them with their great warhammers making a bloody ruin of the once glittering Elven ranks - another roll of a natural 1 means the Trolls automatically eliminate their opponents!

100_1384_zps51bf0708.jpg

Behind the second unit of Trolls moves up to threaten the Trollslayers. Two danger rolls of 3" and 4" almost brings them alongside their brutish comrades.

100_1386_zps75b81e40.jpg

Further downstream the Skeleton Cavalry remorselessly continue their struggle with the Lancers. Horrified by their implacable foes refusal to die, the Lancers' ranks once more fall into disorder.

100_1387_zps8d742c0e.jpg

Zeegal gestured lazily towards the various Missile troops who held the hill against him and immediately the unit of Skeleton Archers loosed another volley of black arrows. He let out a contented sigh as the ranks of Human Handgunners rippled in response to the arrows that landed amongst them. Then they wavered and began to retreat out of sight behind the hill they had commanded. Another good use of the Volley ability available to archers - the Handgunners lost the roll by 5 and so are driven back by 5".

100_1390_zps549a56b4.jpg

Turn 6
Von Damne's Dependables
CP's rolled - 7

Norres looked on with displeasure at the inconclusive melee that ground on between his Lancers and their Undead enemy. This was not how the path to Chunkukdo and martial perfection should be achieved. He bellowed a command to the Horsemen floundering in the water...

The Lancers, on hearing their great leader, pulled themselves together and rallied as one. With the precision of the drill square they broke away from their opponents and fell back. Almost simultaneously, the second unit of Lancers, primed and ready, charged into the gap created. Once more lances crashed against shield and this time it was the Undead ranks that fell into disorder.

100_1391_zps4e994d2b.jpg

The Trollslayers, gladdened to see their foe ahead of them at last, gave a great cry and clashed their axes together. With a roar they charged at the Trolls in a whirl of tattoos, flaming hair and flashing blades. The Trolls fought back ferociously but such was the strength of the Slayers onslaught that many a brute suffered grievous injuries. The Troll Slayers win the combat by 2 and so the Trolls suffer 2 damage points. They pass their damage roll and ready themselves for the next round next turn.

100_1393_zpsca69cc73.jpg

The Thunderers on the hill looked on in dismay as the Elves were dispatched with horrifying ease. Although there was not much love lost between the two races, the Dwarves knew that their loss could cost them dearly. Once more they primed their weapons (I think I managed to forget about paying an extra CP for reloading for these Blackpowder units - I'll have to remember in future turns!) and ranged the Trolls in. Again their aim was true and this time the Trolls fared far worse. With an anguished howl the behemoths finally succumbed to their wounds. This time the Dwarves beat the Trolls by 10 which meant the Trolls received a massive 10 damage points on top of the 2 they had already - 12D6 meant that rolling more than 13 was pretty inevitable!

100_1396_zps709d0bd8.jpg

Turn 6
Zeegal's Marauders
CP's rolled - 5

The dread Warlord cursed - with the loss of the Skeleton Cavalry's standard, he felt his command over the army weakening. Added to that his Troll shock troops had been cut to ribbons as they crossed the ford. A change in tactics was required...

The Pack Masters cracked their whips and drove the slavering hounds into the river alongside the Skeleton Horsemen. The sight of the enemy cavalry drove the rabid creatures into a snarling frenzy. To avoid paying through the nose for movement across the difficult terrain of the river (1 CP for movement and 2 CP's for the terrain each!) I opted for a danger roll for each unit at the cost of only 1 CP each - this invloves rolling a D8 for their normal movement, plus two more D8's for the cost of moving across the terrain. The lowest result is then used for the movement rate - both units ended up with a measly 2"!)

Behind them one of the Skeleton archer units moved up to bring the Thunderers on the hill within easier reach of their arrows.

100_1398_zpse7c7d6d9.jpg

The Giant, frustrated at the flight of its prize, loped forwards once more. Its eyes lit up as it saw the Griffin land in the river ahead. A lucky danger roll of 7" puts the Griffin in danger again!

100_1399_zps69ff5c3c.jpg

Lashing out with a ferocity born of desperation, the Trolls attempted to get to grips with their diminutive opponents. It was, however, to no avail as the Slayers easily avoided the monsters' clumsy blows and continued to slash at the tendons and sinews of their legs.

100_1394_zps4d58f3f7.jpg

Slowly but surely the Trolls were cut down. The Trolls lose the combat by 3 and so suffer another 3 damage points. Unfortunately for them, trying to roll under 13 on 5D6 proved impossible!

100_1397_zpsa2e02eea.jpg

Turn 7
Von Damne's Dependables
CP's rolled - 8

Beulenegger rejoiced at the destruction Lavister had wreaked on the Undead cavalry. Lavister too seemed to have forgotten his injuries.

"Come on old friend, all hell is going to break loose. Lets snap some more god-damned spines!"

Beulenegger follows up his successful attack on the Skeleton horsemen by charging the next unit locked in melee with Norres's Lancers. Under the combined assault, the Undead Cavalry once more falls into disorder. Agh - even with all the extra dice for attacking in the flank and having an extra unit support the attack I couldn't get a 1! Ah well - the luck had to run out sometime.

100_1402_zpsdfb3e11a.jpg

Von Damne breathed a sigh of relief. The first wave had been dealt with and some of the more formidable foes ranged against them had been dispatched. But at what cost - The Elf spearmen had been fine troops indeed and he hoped their loss would not have serious consequences later. Seeing that the Troll Slayers were in danger of being isolated, he gave the order to march.

The two units of Halberdiers separate and begin to fill the gaps in the defensive line.

100_1404_zpsd7ddd8c0.jpg

Meanwhile, thirsting for blood and a glorious death, the Troll Slayers wade into the river with the Hounds firmly in their sights.

100_1403_zpsb3d840f1.jpg

Turn 7
Zeegal's Maruaders
CP's rolled - 8

Zeegal sensed that the moment was nearing. The pitiful human defenders' time was nearly up - they were in fact half past dead...

The skeleton archers fire upon the Thuderers on the hill once more. The wind must have been against them as their arrows fell just short.

100_1408_zps0592fc72.jpg

The Giant again strove to catch his prey, crashing forward to bring the Griffin in range of his great club. With a roar of frustration, it realises that the noble beast is still just out of range. A default move and danger roll fail to bring the Giant near enough to engage Beulenegger.

100_1407_zps3f94a123.jpg

The clamour of the Giant's rage is joined by the baying of the hounds. In a great rush they bound through the water and charge, snapping into combat with the Slayers and Bluch Norres himself!

The Troll Slayers found themselves beset on all sides by the hideous beasts. Hampered by the river's current, they struggle to stave off the ferocious assault and are dragged down and mauled to death. The Hounds are lucky enough to roll a natural 1 - automatically eliminating the Slayers.

100_1406_zps7def20b6.jpg

Despite his nerves of steel, Bluch Norres could not help but flinch at the Slayers' demise. Yet he had not much time to dwell on their loss as he and his men were hard pressed themselves. The hounds proved elusive targets and the horses threatened to bolt in panic. Men's death cries soon joined the terrified shrieks of their mounts. Norres, his lance ripped from his hands by the death throes of the beast he had impaled, grimly drew his sword. The last thing he saw as he cried out in defiance were the great jaws of the Pack Leader as it leapt at his throat...

Unbelievably the second unit of hounds also roll a 1 and eliminate Norres' elite Horsemen! They were helped by the fact that the Pack Hunters ability made them a hard counter towards cavalry - this means the dice they use in combat are improved from D12 by two steps to D8. This put them on a par with Norres and they got an extra dice for initiating the melee.

100_1405_zpsdba2dd85.jpg

So things are really hotting up - Norres lies dead, Beulengger's mount is gravely wounded and a massive hole has been torn in Von Damne's defensive line. Zeegal looks like he's about to make a break through across the river, avoiding the ford and the deadly Thunderers defending it.

Can Von Damne plug the gap? Will Zeegal capitalise on his advantage? Can I find any more cheesy one liners from 80's Action Movies to shoe horn into the narrative...

igirisujin

I am enjoying reading your battle report so much that I think I will let go of my misgivings about pdfs and splash out on the rules. It will mean starting a new scale, not sure how I will explain it to the other half, I may even try painting these ones myself.

Thantsants

Good for you! :mrgreen:

I'm loving the 10mm - especially the speed at which you can get a whole army painted in a week or two.

Plus they don't take up much room - as long as you don't buy too much... :oops:

Thantsants

Now then, long time no update so firstly apologies for that - insert usual excuses about family, life, work, sleep, etc... Frustratingly I've been trying to get this final report finished for about a week and a half now!

I'd best also take the time before plunging into the last desperate moments of the Battle of Harrison's Ford to add that Mayhem is actually a very quick, intuitive and exciting game to play!

Turn 8
Von Damne's Dependables
CP's rolled - 7

A ripple of fear radiated out amongst the red and green ranks of the ford's defenders. Bluch Norres had fallen.

That was impossible. Norres' reputation was terrifying to friend and foe alike. He was the only man capable of punching a cyclops between the eyes. It was said of him that he did not fear the dark - the dark feared him. Now the unthinkable had happened and a great hero had truly passed into legend...

100_1465_zpsb9c0d5fc.jpg

Beulengger redoubled his efforts having witnessed Norres' demise and together with the surviving lancers, smashed the last Skeleton horsemen to pieces. While he had the momentum and Lavister was fired with the lust for battle he wheeled around to face his nemesis.

100_1467_zpsb5fb8c87.jpg

With a great battlecry, Beulenegger spurred his mount into a headlong and desperate charge at the Giant in the hopes of finally seeing off their tormentor.

100_1469_zpsc732322a.jpg

In a flurry of claws and feathers, Lavister lashed out sending the brute reeling backwards, clutching several deep rents across its chest and midriff. Cheered by the triumphant shouts and roars of pain coming from the river, the second unit of Lancers who had previously withdrawn turned to face the oncoming hounds.

Again using the Impact ability, the Griffin expends another point to fly into combat with the Giant. Gaining the bonus die for the Impact hit gave the Griffin the edge and the Giant received 2 damage points.

Turn 8
Zeegal's Marauders
CP's rolled - 6

The Giant reeled from the savagery of the Griffin's onslaught. Clutching the tattered ribbons of its belly with one hand, it swung its huge club in a wide arc to fend off the terrible foe. However, Lavister was not to be denied. Avoiding the blow with ease the noble beast once more raked the Giant with its great claws and with a deafening crash the huge brute fell lifeless to the ground.

An unlucky set of dice mean that the Giant loses the combat by a score of 5. Needless to say it does not survive the damage roll - rolling under 13 on 7D6 (one for each damage point).

100_1469_zpsc732322a.jpg

Barely pausing to feast upon their freshly killed quarry, the Hounds surged onwards and crashed into the newly reformed Lancers. The snarling and snapping beasts quickly threw the Horsemen into disarray.

100_1470_zps4b31241d.jpg

The second unit of hounds couldn't muster the strength to master the slow but strong current of the river and contented themselves with slowly stalking forward to their next target.

100_1472_zpsa499a313.jpg

Turn 10
Von Damne's Dependables
CP's rolled - 2!

Disaster! With the loss of the Bluch Norres' elite unit, Von Damne also loses 1D8 from his CP roll resulting in a rather paltry score of 2 this turn!

As confusion reigned with the line of command further disrupted by the hounds' advances, much of Von Damne's army could do little other than look on as the struggle for the river bank went on.

100_1474_zpsd4d90079.jpg

The unit of Lancers on the river bank itself smartly turned about and charged into the rear of the Hounds that were snapping at their comrades. Outnumbered two to one the Hounds fell into disarray as panic threatened to set in.

Turn 10
Zeegal's Marauders
CP's rolled - 7

Held at bay by two units of horsemen, the hounds fell into a desperate fury. As they were herded forward by the Lancers' charge in the rear, the savage beasts were funnelled forward, tearing down the opponents who stood before them in a wild attempt to escape.

100_1480_zps55fc8725.jpg

Zeegal watched on with satisfaction as the tide slowly turned in his favour on the far left flank. With a sweep of his great sword, the evil general waved on his minions across the ford...

100_1481_zpsde5c1f3b.jpg

Turn 11
Von Damne's Dependables
CP's rolled 5

Yet all was not lost on the left - bereft of many of their kin and their great leader Bluch Norres, the surviving unit of Lancers gave a great cry - the deaths of their comrades would be avenged! The hounds before them didn't stand a chance as a terrible fury possessed the horsemen.

The destruction of the Hounds pushes Zeegal's army past its breaking point. From next turn onwards he will have to pass a leadership test before issuing any commands to his troops - failure will see the game end as he looses control and his army break and retreat.

100_148011_zps36936c6d.jpg

Back in the vanguard the Handgunners made it back to their original positions on the hill with the Thunderers. Taking advantage of the brief respite from the skeleton archers' volleys of black arrows, they and the Dwarves on the valley bottom reloaded their weapons.

100_148511_zps714b2f19.jpg

The remaining unit of Thunderers, weapons already primed, ranged in on the lead Half Orc unit. As rifles crackled up and down the line the enemy ranks rippled and fell into disorder.

Turn 11
Zeegal's Marauders
CP's rolled - 5

A shudder of confusion passed through the ranks of chaotics as the realisation that all was not going to plan dawned on them. No longer did they have the strength of numbers they had enjoyed and even for such bloodthirsty creatures as the Half Orcs the task of taking the ford seemed daunting. Yet if any had considered fleeing Zeegal's baleful gaze and bellowed commands soon sent them scurrying back to the line.

100_1486_zps851ebc84.jpg

Dulf Lundgrin, chief among the barbarous horde of Half Orcs was not happy. For too long he had been forced to wait while Zeegal had frittered away his army and now the ford ran red their blood. Pointing a clawed hand at the Halberdiers who blocked his path, he bellowed a challenge,

"I must break you!"

100_1484_zpsf6986021.jpg

Led by Lundgrin, the Half Orcs charged the Halberdiers. The struggle was brief but the Halberdiers managed to hold the Orcs at bay. However, using the momentum of the charge, Lundgrin whipped his troopers into a frenzy and threw the human defenders backward. Trapped between the wild attacks of the Half Orcs and their fellow Halberdiers who were bringing up the rear, the soldiers had no where to run and were cut down to a man.

Dulf Lundgrin has the Push Back attribute that means he pushes back any unit he ends up in a draw with in combat. Should that unit come into contact with an obstacle or other unit they are eliminated.

100_1483_zpsa7d53b50.jpg

Turn 12
Von Damne's Dependables
CP's rolled - 7

Von Damne looked on aghast at the wake of death the Half Orc hero brought with him. Only the double impact of his trusty Dwarf allies could stop the onslaught...

"Fire!"

The crackling report of the combined volley from the Thunderers and Handgunners stopped the Half Orc charge in its tracks. Despite Lundgrin's guttural commands and the sting of the flat of his blade, his warriors faltered and fell into disarray.

100_1485_zps080ccd1c.jpg

Seeing his chance to halt Zeegal's assault and send his evil army running for the hills, Von Damne quickly ordered his remaining troops into the fray. The surviving Halberdiers gripped their pole-axes tightly, ready to avenge their comrades. The thundering of hooves signalled the Half Orcs' doom as the Lancers charged into their flank. Lundgrin fell last of all, pierced by many lances and fighting to the last.

100_1487_zps8a11e761.jpg

Turn 12
Zeegal's Marauders
CP's rolled - 0

Zeegal looked on, a towering rage building inside him as yet more of his minions fell at the defenders' hands. The surviving Half Orcs turned tail and fled and as he cured their cowardly hides, his control over his undead horde waned. Skeletal archers flickered and faded into insubstantiality, bones and decayed equipment clattered to the ground.

With a last snarl of frustration, the Warlord turned his bestial mount and stalked back to the Wastes from which he came...

Epilogue

Well what a battle! It could certainly have gone either way at certain points and I thought the forces of evil had broken Von Damne's lines as the hounds badly mauled the Lancers holding the river bank. Yet some lucky dice rolls and the threat of the Thunderers covering the ford saw Von Damne's Dependables win through, though at a high price.

The rules were great - quick to play, easy to follow and full of many layers of tactical complexity for their apparent simplicity. It was nice getting all the different die out - D8, D10 and so on, and I think using them as steps in combat/ranged combat skill and movement is elegant and effective.

One of my favourite things about them was actually building the two armies from scratch - assigning movement and combat values, special skills and attributes to give each different unit its ow unique flavour and tactical considerations.

I'd like to give Warmaster a try some day but I will definitely be coming back to Mayhem again - hopefully with a human opponent next time, rather than solo play.

Back