Advanced Hero Quest: Prince of Persia - The Report

The place to post your battle reports with gorgeous pictures of old painted lead

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:33 am

Advanced Hero Quest: Prince of Persia - The Report

Right, it's time to get this game on the table.

Here's a report of the first part of a of a solo game I started last night.

Backstory:

It is a time of darkness. While the Sultan is off fighting a foreign war, his Grand Vizier JAFFAR has seized the reins of power. Throughout the land, the people groan under the yoke of a cruel tyrant and dream of better days. Only one obstacle stands between Jaffar and the throne. An adventurer from a foreign land, innocent of palace intrigues, you have won the heart of the Sultan's lovely young daughter. And in so doing, you have unwittingly made a powerful enemy. As for the Princess, Jaffar gives her a choice and an hour to decide: Marry him--or die. Whichever her choice, it can bring only a throne for the Grand Vizier...a new reign of terror for his long-suffering subjects...and death for the brave youth who might have been...PRINCE OF PERSIA.

Step 1: rolling a profile for the "adventurer":

Weapon Skill: 5
Bow Skill: N/A
Strength: 6
Toughness: 4
Speed: 6
Bravery: 8
Intelligence: 9
Wounds: 2
Fate Points: 2

Step 2: Beginning the game

I've changed the story so that the adventurer is not imprisoned in the palace dungeons, but sneaks his way in through a side-entrance, fully armed with his trusty sword.

He descends the steps into the dungeon...

He turns left and finds a dead-end...

He turns around and sees a long corridor leading around to the right...

He walks along, turns the corner and bumps right into a guard on patrol!

The adventurer attacks the guard with his sword, wounds him, then casually walks past him toward the stairs at the end of the corridor...

"Oi!" the wounded guard follows the adventurer and attacks, but the blow is clumsy and easily parried...

The adventurer then runs at top speed down the corridor and dashes down the stairs to the next level of the dungeon...

TO BE CONTINUED
Something in my aspect and speech seemed to excite vague fears and aversions in everyone I met, as if I were a being infinitely removed from all that is normal and healthful.

Post Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:02 pm

Re: Advanced Hero Quest: Prince of Persia - The Report

Get ready for Part 2!

Having escaped from the guard, the adventurer descends to the next level of the dungeon...

He turns left, again, and sees a flight of stairs leading outside the palace. No use going that way -- there's a Princess to rescue!

He turns right and sees a door!

He walks up to the door. What could be behind it?

An empty room! With another door...

He walks up the door. What could... <creak>

ANOTHER GUARD!

"Have at thee, knave!" he yells as he leaps heroically into combat, forgetting that his Weapon Skill is only 5.

There's a brief exchange of steel on steel before the adventurer remembers his terrible swordsmanship skills and decides to leave...

The guard follows and attacks, but our hero manages to parry once again...

The adventurer backs through the door and slams it in the guard's face. Good thing the AHQ rules don't permit the bad guys to open doors...

Having successfully escaped, the adventurer carries on up the corridor and finds it leads to an even longer one...

Just then, the hero notices a man-trap hidden in the floor. He carefully disarms it and moves on.

At the end of the long corridor is another flight of stairs, leading downward...

And down he goes...

TO BE CONTINUED
Something in my aspect and speech seemed to excite vague fears and aversions in everyone I met, as if I were a being infinitely removed from all that is normal and healthful.

Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:42 pm

I need to know more !

Post Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:46 am

Sorry, took a little break to paint a door...

The rest of the story will follow shortly...

Post Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:57 pm

Here we go...

Our hero enters the third level of the palace dungeon...

The corridor turns left and stretches off for some distance, before taking another left turn...

While traversing this long corridor, our hero accidentally steps on a booby trap, which would have chopped him in half, had he not spent one of his 2 Fate points to avoid this catastrophe...

The corridor turned up another, shorter passage...

Which then turned right into a passage containing two doors...

Our hero chose the first of these two doors and entered an empty room, containing another door...

This opened up onto a corridor with a t-junction at the end...

Then a guard strolls up...

Our hero turns around to face his foe. There is an exchange of parried blows...

Then our hero flees up the corridor...

The guard pursues and there is another exchange of blows. This time, the guard makes a deadly attack which would have killed the hero on his feet, had he not used up his second and last Fate point to avoid this...

The hero backs away further up the corridor, revealing a passage to the right, with a door...

The guard closes in for the kill, but our hero catches him with a powerful (and lucky) blow which kills him instantly...

Our hero turns and enters the door behind him, revealing a small room and two further doors...

One of these leads into a large room, containing a guard and a health potion (and a further door)...

Having spent the last of his Fate points, and with only a 25% chance of landing a hit, our hero is in no hurry to get into another sword fight, so he slams the door shut again...

Our hero decides to check out the other door in the room he is in. It leads up into a corridor with a dead end...

Our hero hopes there might be a secret door in this corridor, connecting to the room beyond the guard-room door, thus providing a sneaky way around. He investigates...

Turns out there is no secret door after all, but while he was searching, he is discovered by a guard on patrol...

Our hero attacks the guard, who easily parries, then walks past him, hoping to get away and shut the door, thus trapping the guard in the passageway...

Regrettably, the guard easily catches him, delivers a well-aimed strike and fatally wounds our hero, who dies on the floor in a pool of blood...

GAME OVER

With all chance of her rescue snuffed out, the Princess of Persia dies at the hands of the tyrant Jaffar, who takes the throne of Persia and plunges the land into tyranny and darkness!

Post Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:24 am

if only he hadn't stopped to paint that door (or he'd managed to pursuade the guards he was just there to paint the rest of the doors) ...
the dark knight of the twisted moon

Image Image

Post Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:47 am

I've realised that this modification of AHQ is only going to work if I give the character the maximum possible stats for a human player, rather than rolling randomly for him. With no back-up and no means to purchase armour or ballistic weapons (to be faithful to the video game concept), he won't stand a chance with randomly rolled stats.

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:27 pm

Ok, although our hero mostly ran away and died a pitiful death, this was an engaging story. Honestly, if I were alone in a dungeon in my pajamas with only a sword, I'd probably run away from the guards too. You might try your idea of max stats and give him 3 Fate points, like you used to get 3 lives in video games. I found that painting door comment hilarious too. Anyway, it was fun and I hope you try it and share it again. I'm getting ready to delve into AHQ myself.

Post Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:17 am

Thank you for the feedback!

I actually plan to publish the first part of my next session later today.

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:04 pm

Sorry, took me 24 hours longer than anticipated, due to some technical mishaps.

Here we go with the second attempt:

Step 1: Roll for character stats...

Except, this time, instead of rolling, we're just going to add up all the DX + X scores to get the best possible results for a human character. The new adventurer will be the peak of physical fitness and combat training.

Step 2:

The hero descends the steps into the palace dungeons...

He takes a left-hand turn and finds a flight of steps heading down...

He descends the steps...

He arrives at the next level...

And takes another left turn, finding a long corridor that turns to the right...

He follows this to the end and finds a corridor with a staircase leading out, as well as a door...

He opens the door, revealing an empty room and two more doors...

The opposite door looks like it can only open into another passage, so our hero chooses the other door, which opens into another empty room with another door...

This opens into yet another empty room with two doors...

Our hero chooses the opposite door this time, finding it leads into a passage that ends in a t-junction...

Our hero decides to try the other door, which also turns out to be a passage, ending in a t-junction...

While our hero wonders about which passage to choose, he is approached by a guard on patrol...

He whirls around and attacks the guard, but critically misses!
The guard immediately ripostes with a critical hit (!), slicing through pajamas and flesh, leaving a devastating wound!
Our hero is reduced from 5 to 1 life points in one deadly cut!

Bleeding profusely, our hero steels himself and delivers a mighty return blow, mortally wounding the guard...

He leaves via the nearest doorway. At the end of the corridor, he turns a corner and walks into another guard on patrol...

And splits his skull...

Continuing down the corridor, our hero walks into a man-trap, which would have chopped him in twain. Thankfully, he spent a Fate Point to avoid this end...

Arriving at another downward staircase, our hero descends into the dark...

TO BE CONTINUED

Return to Battle Reports