2nd Ed 40k: Squats vs Servants of the Star Messiah

Orjetax

I got in an extremely last minute game of 40k. Which meant no missions, not bothering to count victory points, and lists based on what I had painted and easily accessible. It was a load of fun.

In 1250 points of second edition glory, an army of Space Zealots (as genestealer cult with chaos allies) took the field against a force of Squat mercenaries (using the fanmade yellow codex).

The board was set up with a ruined temple in the center The space zealots spread across their deployment zone, with squads of genestealers, zealots (as brood brothers), and beastmen on each side of the table. A chaos dreadnought took to the west, with the patriarch on the east. The magus stayed in center.

6a3926fe340621c6e3a4b776e3bf5565.jpg

Squat cyberslayers, a thunderer squad, and a warrior squad with a heavy bolter held down the west side. On the east, the plasma laden hearthguard stood with the squat warlord and living ancestor. The squat pirates also bristled with plasma weapons - they infiltrated behind the temple, ready to dash out of cover and lay down fire. A mole mortar - ideal for this match-up - was safely back of the lines.

d139ebc45492e476df5029b04dd2b62b.jpg

The space zealots spent the first turn advancing, with the heavy weapons - especially the dread’s twin linked autocannon — inflicting modest casualties although notably reducing the cyberslayers from five to two.

f07df65e1f3a57b6d5735912a3d1481a.jpg

Squat plasma weapons wreaked absolute havoc in the space dwarfs’ first turn. Favored by the sustained fire dice, they took down the genestealers and the patriarch. The mole mortar also exploded on target, and the surviving cyberslayers unwisely (but very much in character!) raced to towards the genestealers. Behind the cyberslayers, the thunderers’ lascannon and heavy plasma gun crippled the legs of the chaos dread and shook its pilot. The dread would go on to suffer a couple jams and was mostly a non factor going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orjetax

3682f76fd0f46fa76d519dbe65578ac7.jpg

In subsequent turns, the space zealots mostly cleared the squads on the western half of the table, thanks to the genestealers chewing their way through a couple squads. Mole mortar fire did successfully reduce the brood to a single member by the game’s end at turn four. Heavy weapon fire had mostly held the zealots and beast men on the west flank at bay, however.

On the east side of the table, the ancestor lord placed a force dome over the zealots heavy weapons, and the remaining zealots were ultimately whittled down without achieving much.

93de695b78065d8cb81fda21a2dec3a8.jpg

2c057f89920071ba1b3821cffa8cba52.jpg

In one high stakes psychic phase, the magus attempted to displace the beastmen in the west into close combat with the pirates. The ancestor lord tried to nullify the power and failed. The ancestor lord tried to use hammer of fury, but the magus had a nullify and successfully used it! Little else happened in the psychic phases, with the magus repeatedly failing to use carmine assassin and the ancestor lord able eventually to use hammer of fury to knock away the beastmen, but not until they had decimated most of the pirates. Eventually, the hearthguard, warlord, and ancestor lord were able to enter hand to hand and mopped up most of the beastmen.

At the end, it felt like a draw, with each army in control of one side of the field.

Orjetax

62150a2519a65bcc9579faed86660b8a.jpg

The eastern melee, following hammer of fury.

2b7f2075ee9d214e854f22f701554d80.jpg

The west, from the squat lines, at the end of the game. A solitary genestealer and a pair of squats remaining after the brood chewed through the rest of the squats in the west.

fc63051bcc111b017ce43ee352bc00d0.jpg

The rest of the space zealots on the western side of the field. Bottled up and far from the remaining action.

symphonicpoet

Sometimes improvised pick-up games can be the best. :) Looks like a fun time was had, even if the battle itself was inconclusive.

Orjetax

symphonicpoet":f5c7cbz6 said:
Sometimes improvised pick-up games can be the best. :) Looks like a fun time was had, even if the battle itself was inconclusive.

Yes, and I’m perfectly happy with inconclusive.

In fact I order scenario play, but the way these opportunities to get a game in seem to crop up suddenly, that’s not much feasible.

Thanks for sharing this game!

It reminds me of the time of vicariously experiencing Warhammer when I was reading battle reports in White Dwarves in 2000-2003.

Orjetax

AranaszarSzuur":kuma4jx8 said:
Thanks for sharing this game!

It reminds me of the time of vicariously experiencing Warhammer when I was reading battle reports in White Dwarves in 2000-2003.

Thank you, it was my pleasure!

I’ve managed to post quick reports of my last five or so games ... played the course of 3-4 years.

There’s never enough opportunity is there?

Tubehead

It's tough to use Genestealers over open terrain. They're lethal when the cover on the table is tight and dense though!
Still, looks like yours took down their share of opponents before attrition set in.
Very cool report. Thanks for sharing!

Orjetax

Tubehead":2k6kjzkf said:
It's tough to use Genestealers over open terrain. They're lethal when the cover on the table is tight and dense though!
Still, looks like yours took down their share of opponents before attrition set in.
Very cool report. Thanks for sharing!

Glad you enjoyed and thanks for the comments!

Back