40k Second Edition - Squats vs Orks, 1k

Orjetax

A bit more of a high level summary than a true battle report -

A friend and I quickly put together a game. He used my squats (using the fanmade yellow codex), I used my orks. This was our first game trying out psychic powers since second edition was the contemporary edition.

cac8d577a835a8eec12da39d8fee43ec.jpg

A fun but lopsided game in which I suffered due to some catastrophically bad rolling.

But a bunch of interesting things happened, and we looked up some rules we’re frankly not sure we ever referenced before.

The first of these came when, lacking a target, I ran a squad of Blood Axes up to the second story of a building.

275c7fdbbbb5e8b78fbd0566dcc13ad7.jpg

This failed badly. They exchanged turns of mutually ineffective fire with the squats’ pirate unit.

9396e3adc7389bcdfe7abf3766ecd50e.jpg

The building itself - despite only being made of stone (or so we adjudicated it), survived a blast from a heavy plasma (high power no less!). But ultimately a subterranean hit from the squat mole mortar to collapse, leaving a single ork standing.

0df00993a52b7d1c624d8a6bd486705f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orjetax

The squat ancestor lord owned the psychic phase. He kept the ork warboss and ogryns locked down the successive force domes, until the ork warphead finally managed to destroy power and energy drain away the existing fields.

The warphead tried throughout the game to land the ‘kop dis’ power on the ancestor lord. This was stubborn of me - I should have been picking off the accompanying cyber slayers.

fde560ff6e6d9b42598243be6944be5b.jpg

33295fc71d2982b3f66f6d95080bc9b9.jpg

Orjetax

On the orks’ last turn, having drained away the force domes at last, my ogryns and warboss got an unexpected charge. They did serious damage to the cyber slayers, but ended the game ended with this swirling and complicated melee (with multiple models in base to base with other multiple models) still ongoing.

2284453361d9a0ca46c90f0c5d678148.jpg

4fbaa54d0dd709edbf11a63823197f48.jpg

In total, apart from the close combat, the orks managed to eliminate only three (!!!) squats. Two of them knocked out with heavy weapons in the opening turn.

As always, we had a great time.

Orjetax

portman":22lu9aef said:
That sounds like it was a lot fun!

Sure was. Think the last five or so games I’ve played have been second edition, and I’ve much enjoyed it.

Orjetax

daddyorchips":30h6jz1m said:
looks great, and some lovely paint jobs on disaply too. better luck next time, orks!

Thanks!

Orks won our last game ... When my buddy was using them and I played squats.

Hmm. I wonder what the commonality with regard to the losses is ...

With regards to force domes, I've always played them as a 'remains in play' power that you can only use one at a time, i.e. if you want to put it somewhere else you have to drop the previous one. Am I way off base here?

Orjetax

Captain Crooks":111sku6w said:
With regards to force domes, I've always played them as a 'remains in play' power that you can only use one at a time, i.e. if you want to put it somewhere else you have to drop the previous one. Am I way off base here?

Not how we played it, but I’d be open to looking at it your way.

Neither of us had used psychic powers in 2nd ed since it was the current edition, so not a high degree of confidence.

I’d be curious to know what others think of this as well.

Back