Old West Oldhammer: A Dream of Gold

The place to post your battle reports with gorgeous pictures of old painted lead

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:20 pm

Old West Oldhammer: A Dream of Gold

Last night my good friend Gibby and I played a (very) small skirmish using Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader.

This was the first time either of us had played Rogue Trader and frankly I'm amazed that it's taken me this long to get around to it. I spent years looking for the perfect universal skirmish rule set, including four different versions of Warhammer Fantasy Battle and even Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, when Rogue Trader was sitting under my nose the whole time.

However, not a single Space Marine was to be seen, for we set our game in the American Old West (or at least on a planet which resembled it in appearance and technology...) We played on the living room floor with my beloved collection of 90mm toy figures (from a variety of manufacturers, such as Papo, Schleich and Bullyland) and used a 3' x 3' Deep Cut Studios Battle Mat with a "Wild West" print. As the models are about three times the size of regular 28mm minis, we tripled all movement and shooting ranges. We played a quick and dirty gunfight with a simple plot, with three miniatures per side. In total it took us about an hour to play. We called it...

A DREAM OF GOLD

The Story:

Years ago a prospector by the name of Joe Brockman found a nugget of gold hidden in the remote Jackrabbit Gorge. He kept it a secret, though a series of unavoidable events prevented him from returning to the site to search for more... until only last week. On his much-anticipated return to the site, he learned that farmers had since moved into the gorge and set up a ranch. However, the ranch had apparently been abandoned and was now being used as a hide-out by a gang of well-armed brigands. Brockman, long-desirous to reclaim his prospect, was unwilling to tackle the brigands alone, so approached John Middleton, the Sheriff of nearby Wahpeton Gulch, to ask for assistance. He showed him the gold nugget and explained that there's more to be found, promising to share the profits with him if he'll help drive out the brigands. Middleton, himself hungry for gold, readily agreed. Packing his sawed-off shotgun and pistol and bringing along his loyal Deputy, a Native American who everyone calls "Two-Feathers", the three men set off for Jackrabbit Gorge with the gleam of promised gold in their eyes...

The Map:

The abandoned farm site has an empty livestock pen in the centre (with feeding trough and shelter for the beasts), a rusted windpump and dried-up water tower in the bottom-right corner, an empty cart to the left to the pen, and a prickly cactus plant to the top-left. In the bottom left is a camp-fire where three of the brigands are keeping warm. Sheriff Middleton, Joe Brockman and Two-Feathers approach the farm from the top-right...

The Forces:

Side A

Sheriff John Middleton (Champion Profile)
Equipment: Sawed-Off Shotgun (Solid Ammo); Stub Gun (Revolver)
PV = 8

Prospector Joe Brockton
Equipment: Stub Gun (Revolver); Hafted Weapon (Shovel)
PV = 6

Deputy "Two Feathers"
Equipment: Shotgun (Solid Ammo)
PV = 6

Total PV = 20

Side B

Brigand Leader (Champion Profile)
Equipment: Stub Gun (Revolver)
PV = 7.5

Brigand 1
Equipment: Stub Gun (Revolver) x2
PV = 6

Brigand 2
Equipment: Stub Gun (Revolver); Shotgun (Solid Ammo)
PV = 7

Total PV = 20.5

The Gunfight:

Joe Brockton jumped right over the fence of the livestock pen and headed straight toward the brigands' camp:

Two-Feathers stuck close to the right side of the pen and hid behind the fence, heading for the wind-pump:

Sheriff Middleton moved down the rear of the pen and hid behind the cactus (being careful not to get too close, obviously):

The brigand leader headed straight into the pen to deal with the Prospector:

The brigand with the shotgun headed over to the water tower to hold off the approaching Two-Feathers, who took cover behind the wind-pump:

The brigand with two revolvers climbed onto the cart to get a good shot at the Sheriff:

Sheriff Middleton fired his sawed-off at the brigand on the cart. The slug whizzed passed his thigh, causing only the lightest scratch.
The brigand returned fire and shot Middleton right between the eyes, ending his career as Sheriff of Wahpeton Gulch:

Joe Brockman fired at the brigland leader, though missed.
The Brigand leader rethought his position and moved into cover behind the fence, returning fire but also missing:

Joe Brockman decided to charge the brigand leader and attack him with his shovel.
The brigand leader fired but missed. Hand-to-hand combat took place over the fence, but no blows were struck:

The brigand with two revolvers joined the party.
An intense and extraordinary lengthy hand-to-hand fight took place between the two brigands and the prospector.
Many (missed) shots were fired and many shovel swings were dodged, and somehow nobody was hurt:

Meanwhile, after an extended exchange of fire between the shotgun brigand and Two-Feathers, a slug punched a large hole through the brigand's chest, taking him out of the fight:

Back in the pen, outnumbered and outgunned, a bullet finally hit the prospector and put an end to his dream of gold:

Two-feathers had crept up behind the fence and readied his shotgun.
The two brigands moved into cover:

The brigand leader shot Two-Feathers in the chest, sending him sprawling into the dust:

The brigands won the day!

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation and to raise the dead with tears, then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping.

Sophocles

THE END
I am a servant of the Secret Fire

Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Old West Oldhammer: A Dream of Gold

What a great game....nice to see actual toys in action, rather than "miniatures". I'm a big 54mm toy soldier fan myself. The bases work particularly well.
Oldhammer and other fantasy witterings at
http://broadswordsandbeasts.blogspot.com/

Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Re: Old West Oldhammer: A Dream of Gold

Thank you. It's been a major life-goal for the last seven years to collect these static 90mm figures and find a way to play war-games with them.

The bases are 60mm diamater clear acrylic from Warbases. I tried using MDF bases before (covered in various flocking materials), but I've found these ones much more pleasing to the eye, cleaner, and more flexible.
I am a servant of the Secret Fire

Return to Battle Reports