Tilea IC2401 (Campaign#8)

The place to post your battle reports with gorgeous pictures of old painted lead

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:17 pm

Re: Tilea IC2401 (Campaign#8)

Ah, yikes! Hmm ... it is fixeable - but itll take time and effort ... dont be disheartened Padre!

(Perhaps a website need to be made displaying your Battle Report with pictures? Perhaps itd take a month or a season but itd be a grand thing once done...)

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:34 am

That's terrible! Have you considered changing to Flickr? A Tb of photos. That doesn't make losing all the old pictures any easier to bear though. You could always take the plunge into blogging instead. Just add you blog to the news feed on here. Both my suggestions involve a lot of work on your part, just uploading the pictures (hoping you still have hard copies).

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:18 am

I have now established that this involved 3600 individual photographs scattered over several forums in battle reports, stories and articles with anything from a few to 50+ photos each, going back 11 years.

I have managed to extract 3500 of the photos from Photobucket so that at least I have my own copies in an easily identifiable place (the originals are scattered over umnpteen folders and files on several different machines and memory devices!).

I think, Sean and Fat Git, I agree with you. Best way is to start a website and slowly but surely upload to create an uber WFB-story/batrep site. It will take no less time than Flickr or the other hosting sites. I know all the forum threads will be left torn to pieces, but if I went the hosting route again who's to say whether I would do all the work only to have it happen again.

Bloody photobucket. If they'd asked for $100 a year I'd have paid. But $400, out of the blue, without warning, and for a service that up 'til now has been time consuming agony to use, and which I now utterly distrust, is madness.

My only fear is whether I can construt a website with Wordpress that shows the campaigns the right way around. Most blogs (all?) have the latest post, then reverse chronology. That really doesn't work for a story-campaign.

It occurs to me now. You bloggers, is there a Wordpress template that works like a collection of stories with chapters, rather than a reverse chronological diary?

Post Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:58 am

I think I've found a wordpress format that will do for now.

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:52 am

Luckily I had caught up with the campaign recently. Great battle that was exciting to read about, I hope to see more of the rampaging ogre tribe soon (though I am rooting for the city states, not least because of their dwarf mercenaries).

Glad to hear you are not too dispirited by the PB fiasco and are joining Wordpress. Looking forward to the new format - if there is anything I can help with, give me a shout, as I'm on WP myself.
My Oldhammer blog: The Lost and the Damned

Post Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:48 pm

All hail the Oldhammer Admin. The entire thread is restored. The evil Ph'Buck empire is defeated and the world put to rights.

I am, quite literally, ecstatic.

Consequently, I will stop working on the wenb site version of the campaign and continue the work I was doing on the next campaign story when the photobucket disaster hit.

The next story, although I say it myself, should be a good one. Well, pretty pictures at the least!

I am dizzy with excitement.

Post Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:56 pm

The Church of Nagash

Near Viadaza, northern Tilea, Spring 2403

The graveyards were empty, the tombs bereft of bones. Viadaza had been harvested of all that could be made undead many months before, upon Lord Adolfo’s command. Yet once again the city swarmed with the vampires’ servants, an army of animated warriors with or without rotting flesh, having this time marched upon the city rather than arisen within it. There had been no shortage of corpses after the battle at Ebino to swell the shambling horde, which meant Biagino, craving followers for his new Church of Nagash, had been generously provided for. He arrived at the city with quite a congregation – not only the select servants of La Fraternita di Morti Irrequieti, but also the wild mob of his Disciplinati di Nagash. He had also been gifted the famous Cattedrale di Morr Re, which sat in its extensive grounds a little way north-east of the city walls. All this he received with a degree of satisfaction, but he knew it was not enough. If his church was to thrive, if Nagash was to be fed by its prayers and so return his blessings, then there was one more, (quite literally) vital thing he needed. Hopefully, Viadaza would provide.

As he waited before the castle-like front of the Cattedrale, he was accompanied by a cluster of servants.

Several zombies staggered hither and thither about their labours, lifting or dragging the last pieces of debris away so that the grassy space was almost pristine. Biagino’s guards and attendants, however, were silent and, for the most part, motionless. Three red-robed brothers stood in prayerful contemplation. They possessed a serenity which sometimes concealed their deep wickedness and at other times gave it a sharper edge. For now, they merely waited.

The first of Biagino’s Disciplinati was also present, his head a battered mess of misshapen bone and torn flesh, his hands disfigured by their size, somehow both swollen and emaciated at one and the same time, the splayed fingers elongated beyond their natural length. He still wore the dedicant’s robes he had been captured in, bar the gloves, of course.

Biagino had intended to turn this man into one of his Fraternita thralls, as he had done with several of those who had been captured alive, but in a fitful moment of uncontrolled bloodlust during the enspelling he had gone a tad too far and accidentally killed the man. Not wanting to waste the corpse, he chose instead to re-animate it. When he saw what resulted he decided there and then to form his Disciplinati di Morr, a huge mob of crazed un-corpses who would serve, as they had in life, as bloodthirsty dedicants, footsoldiers for his church, while his Fraternita would be his priests, clerks and lieutenants.

Apart from the rustling of leaves in the breeze and the faint sound of grunting and groaning from the foul mob contained within the cattedrali’s cloistered quadrangle, all was quiet on the tree-lined green.

Biagino had been waiting for another of his servants, a captain of his skeletal body-guard, to arrive. While he did so, he gave his mind up to the powerful swirl of gleeful desires born of his vampiric lusts, suffusing him thoroughly, and conjoining with the winds of magic animating his frame. He felt a surge building and allowed it to pour outwards, feeding all those around him and amplifying the eerie sound issuing from within the walls behind him.

Then something bright caught his eye and he realised the captain was already present - sunlight reflecting from the curved blade of the captain’s ancient war scythe.

“What news, captain?” Biagino demanded. “How many? And are they coming?”

The captain responded immediately, yet neither by movement nor sound. His answer was without words, for he knew not the modern tongue and had no tongue to speak it. It was contained in a thought, or rather the echo of a thought, which washed through Biagino’s mind with cruel clarity.

They are coming, but it will be some time yet. There are not many, less than a hundred.

“So few?”

The city is almost empty. All the rest have fled.

“Which means I get the slow, the foolish and the unlucky?”

They live.

“Yes,” said Biagino. “At least they are alive. And they must stay that way until they have yielded unto Nagash all that they can – every anguished prayer and fearful misery. I will turn their screams into hymns, their cries into plainsong. Their torment will be delicious as their suffering sates our lord’s hunger.”

He thought of the blood he would take from them in their last moments. It would be a meagre nourishment, like thin gruel, but in great quantity. This in turn stirred in him the ancient hunger, a distraction he refused to yield to.

“It seems we have time on our hands,” he said. “We shall put it to good use and further prepare this temple for its unholy purpose. I will have it made ready before the worshippers arrive.”

Biagino turned to the first of his Disciplinati.

“It is time for your brothers to begin the vapouring,” he declared. Then he looked upon the three Fraternita.

“Bring the tome,” he ordered. One of the red-robed thralls stepped forwards to proffer said book.

Biagino made a sign over the book and gave a short prayer in the classical Reman tongue: “In virtute Nagash, non somnus, non requiem.”

The thrall then opened the book to a page marked by a finger bone and turned it around to allow Biagino to read its ancient text. He did so, aloud, intoning the words with exaggerated expression, an almost mocking tone. Allowing the etheric breeze to penetrate him deeply, to coalesce and swirl through and about his mind, he summoned his Disciplinati.

For a few moments only his shrill voice could be heard, but then another sound joined it, not one but many voices. They were wordless, first groans and moans, then guttural cries and growls. Biagino turned to look at the trees to his left. The others did the same …

… and he cried out, “There! My bambini. See how they run!”

They poured from the catedrale, their pace frantic, their arms outstretched, still part-clothed in the ragged remains of their Morrite robes.

“Ha!” laughed Biagino. “Look at them! They have not forgotten, but now they dance for Nagash!”

The Disciplinati cavorted onwards, forming a long column. Some carried the weapons they had died with …

… while others ran empty handed.

Wild they ran, barely balanced, as if falling ever forwards, each step made just in time to prevent a tumble.

Some wore the red or grey hoods of Morrite flagellants, others were topped with matted, ragged hair, while many were bald and bloody.

As they emerged from behind the trees onto the open space, their course began to alter.

The crazed column began to curve across the front of the catedrale, to commence its circumnavigation of the grounds.

Just as they had done at Ebino, when they hurtled pell-mell around the holy carroccio, they now did the same here, so that their clamourous cavorting might sanctify the catedrale. This time, however, they served a different god.

The Church of Nagash was truly re-born!

Post Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Kudos Padre and i am pleased at the good news!

Post Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:07 pm

Nice one. Did you get a new camera? The pictures seem more, er crisper. I like this post very much. Have you created yourwordpress site, if so what is it called?

Post Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Same camera, but unlike snapping at an ongoing game I can keep retaking til I'm happy so maybe that's why?

Oh yes, my blog is begun. It'll take ages to fully construct, however, as there's a LOT of stuff and I need to upload and edit in all missing 1000 campaign pictures, plus edit text etc to make it work on Wordpress.

See www.bigsmallworlds.com

BTW, how does a person get a blog listed here in a news-feedy sort of way. I've tried to understand the instructions, honest, but am left confused and befuddled.
PreviousNext

Return to Battle Reports