Apocalypse Game with my Son

Not exactly Oldhammer, but I spend a few nights with my 12 year old playing a rather large game of Ultramarines vs. his Grey Knights. We just threw up nearly everything we had, without regard to point costs. The GK's were defending a fortress from the UM's. Each section of the wall had 4 structure points.

For the first time, we used my (not completed) scratch-built titan. The Titan just sort of stood there and shot at the wall for a few rounds. Not sure what else Titans need to do, given the 96" range of their turbo lasers. The GK's all tied up the UM's in close combat, and tried to run out the clock.

The titan finally broke through the walls of the fortress, and my Librarian made a Gate of Infinity jump though the blast hole, at the very end of the game. A great cinematic end.

My son's downfall was (a) stacking too many GK's on the walls for too long, rather than bringing them down to defend the walls and (b) putting his Vindicare Assasin in a spot that made it impossible to see most of the troops, making him pretty ineffective. The VC died in a hail of bolts from the Titan's Vulcan Mega Bolter, once the Titan had broke through the walls.

Playing with kids has its challenges. My son has some grasp of the rules, but there are too many stats for him to track, so I wind up dealing with most of the rules for both sides. Given the amount of page-flipping the (poorly organized) rules require, each turn took about 45 minutes to an hour. As such, it was difficult to play more than one or two rounds at a time, given the attention span of a 12 year old. So, we played a few times over the last week, instead of all at once. Luckily, the table wasn't disturbed, so we were able to spread out the game over several nights. And I used playing as a reward for his finishing his homework first.

I know that GW likes to spread out the rules throughout the books, I assume to make the rules harder to copy on a unit-by-unit basis. I've heard the FOW ruleset is very similar to 40k. I'd love to hear from someone on whether the rule set for Flames of War are better organized and, if so, how so. It may help us parents think of ways to better organize the rule set for use with kids.

The full report, in comic-book style, is at:
http://tinybasementwars.blogspot.com/20 ... eport.html

Back